It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does this electricity smell funny to you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
This is a pretty cool idea. It helps to get us off of the dependence on so called "fossil fuels" and helps support farmers at the same time.

Farm Converts Cow Manure Into Electricity

A dairy farm in Vermont has teamed up with an alternative power company to produce electricity from cow manure.

Constructed with a $700,000 investment from Westminster Farms Inc., $175,000 from Green Mountain Power and a further $625,000 from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Vermont Department of Agriculture, the Vermont Agricultural Credit Corporation and the Vermont Clean Energy Development Fund, the plant has been producing 225 killowatt-hours per hour of electricity since July, roughly the amount consumed by 250 houses.

The plant is situated on site at Westminster Farms, where an anaerobic digester processes raw cow manure by mixing, heating and breaking it down into several different components. Methane gas extracted by this procedure is then burned at the power plant. Green Mountain pays the farm a fixed rate for the electricity, which helps keep the operation profitable.

Tough economic times have led to the closure of 300 Vermont dairy farms in the past five years. Only 1,100 remain.

Electricity is not the only useful product being produced by the new plant. The farm will be using liquid wastes extracted from the manure as fertilizer, and solids as cattle bedding. This will enable the farm to buy $800,000 less worth of sawdust each year.

Read more: Natural News

This is great news for the local communtiy and the farmers, they can turn their waste product into clean electricity and maybe make a litle money off it in the process.

I wonder if this will affect the cost of electricity in the area or if this would have been possible without the government grants?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Well, gee, I thought the story was pretty interesting.

I wonder if this type of thing could be profitable without all of the massive government subsidies?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Considering what's happening in the GOM, this is a pretty relevant article.

I first heard of this around 2002, when Enron manipulated the energy supply to CA, causing power outages and outrageous rates. A couple farmers in the Central Valley turned to methane as a source to run generators on the farm or dairy and produced their own power.

More dairies went in this direction, but, unfortunately, for the Central Valley, the nitrogen oxide produced was more than the air quality could handle (the C Valley has massive pollution concerns, it's shape naturally traps air), shutting down some gens until the systems could output less NOX.

Some other area might not have that problem. This definitely is worth exploring, because it works.

If it comes from a dairy, is it moothane?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Excellent post, FortAnthem!

It is so good to hear some positive news!

I hope this one leads to many, many more.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I love the farmers. (Not in a sexual way...)
They put food on my table everyday.

I like that they are fighting this with their brains!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Farmers have been using methane gas or swamp gas for power for over a century. Of course this could be done without all the grants and wasteful spending. It could be done for a fraction of the cost.

There is no reason we need to be on petroleum period. We have had the technology to be independent for over a century. Henry Ford designed the Model T to run on ethanol. We could be independent in a couple years by switching to ethanol and biodiesel! Farmers would be back to work the economy would take off etc.

But because of greed we now have the disaster in the gulf. Big oil has demonized ethanol with a propaganda campaign of lies for nearly a century. Prohibition wasn't about the evils of drinking alcohol! Rockefeller/Standard oil sponsored and funded the suffrage movement that resulted in the Halsted act being passed. Imagine that. Today it is the "were using food to make ethanol" myth. All lies!

Just like Dupont demonized hemp to protect his market.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
This is the future
io9.com...#

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I forgot about that one!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
but if we use the pig # method who will run bartertown? sorry i couldnt resist! it is good to see green ideas being though about and hell if its one thing america has alot of its cow and pig crap i wonder if the middle east will ever try this one or if the stigma about pigs will prevent it?

top topics

join