It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Croc Hunter Steve Irwin in Trouble Again

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This guy just can't seem to stay out of trouble these days. After an incident with his infant son and a crocodile where he dangled his son over the live reptile, and the following trouble and criticism that brought him and his family. Croc hunter Steve Irwin is in trouble again. This time for swimming with Whales...

TheAustralian.com

CROCODILE hunter Steve Irwin's wildlife antics have got him in deep water again - this time after taking a dip in the Antarctic with two giant Humpback whales.

But the extrovert TV celebrity has dismissed the latest furore, saying he was just "bobbing around" in the ocean and the whales went to him.

He also said he was never riding a whale, and anyone who did so should "get the cane".

"I've got big enemies. My enemies are huge. I've got the biggest enemies in the world," said Irwin, who earlier this year provoked an international outcry when, at his Australia Zoo in Queensland, he hand-fed a crocodile while holding his baby son Bob.

Irwin today confirmed his company Best Picture Show was under Federal Government investigation for a possible breach of wildlife laws after he swam with whales, who weigh in at up to 45 tonnes, and penguins while filming in Antarctica in February.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

You have got to click the above full report link for the beautiful, amazing report MATE.

Steve Irwin this poor guy, is he just misunderstood?

I had no idea swimming with whales was illegal. Damn you really do learn something new everyday.

OK I am off to leave this report with you all while I go find and erase the video of me in the pool with all the females at the last weight watchers convention.

Gazz

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Why is swimming with whales illegal? How else you gonna understand em?

And who cares if he feeds crocs with his kid. Whats the big deal? There bigger dangers parents put thier kids through, like making them watch brain rotting crap like teletubbies and disney flicks.

Now thats absive.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Man, thats one tough bugga !

I cant even swim and here the man is riding 45 tonne whales !

Yes, I thought it was legal to swim with whales, I could be wrong though.

Deep

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
It seems to me that someone or some 'group' has something against our beloved 'crocodile man' here. To make matters worse it's the damn Feds and the Government of Hypocrites and Criminals who are suggesting that Steve Irwin is endangering the wildlife.

Steve Irwin has and is doing more for wildlife than every pencil pushing politician put together. If these A-Holes want to protect the wildlife they need to stop looking at Irwin, who has dedicated his life to caring for them and sinking all his money into building a zoo for them, and start looking toward the killers of nature. It's not Irwin who's responsible for dumping everything from Oil to Toxic Waste into the oceans, not to mention killing off entire species of wildlife be deforestation and over fishing.

I find it sad that even after all the known and alleged crimes of Government and Big Business using both Humans and Animals for Experimentation and Worse, that some people still take their side or even consider it. Hell, Steve Irwin could have been swimming with whales as well as riding on their backs like ski's for all I care and to even try and compare the things he does to that of the Federal Government is just insane.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Agreed, I guess the government doesn't like Steve Irwin because he encourages people not to be afraid of nature. He encourages people that despite how imposing an animal might seem, that we can live in unison with them. Am I mistaken or do people still hunt whales? Let's go after them. We always to fight someone don't we (sarcasm)?

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
To my knowledge, the only countries that still support whaling are Japan and possibly Norway. I could be wrong though. As far as Irwin teaching people not to be afraid of nature, ehh, I don't know if thats a good idea. A healthy fear of nature is a good thing. Don't believe me, ask Roy Horne.
(Vegas magician mauled by tiger) I enjoy Irwins show occasionally, but sometimes he seems to have a very naive outlook. I don't know if any of you have read any of the "Darwin Awards" books, but there was a story in one of them about a mother at a national park that smeared her childs face with honey so she could get a picture of a wild bear licking his face. Luckily she was stopped by a park ranger. Teaching people that animals are your friend is a very dangerous thing. Because lets face it, animals have been known to kill each other from time to time.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Steve Irwin isnt teaching people to pet wildlife, hes getting up close and personal so you can see, animals are neat creatures, and just cuz some are ugly, dont mean they aint important. Hes doing a good thing, he is showing people the importance of nature in all its forms. And the importance of respecting native wildlife, over those animals we deem cue and cuddly, or care about.

It is a joke, the gov going after him. Really. I doubt the whales cared if he swam with them, its not like he poisoned them.

I wish the world govornments would go after the real eco killers like Exxon, Enron, Dow, ect, the ones who are causing wildlife to die out or mutate, instead of naturalists, who are brave, crazy, but untertaining.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
He was filming in Antarctica. I fail to see how that falls under the jurisdiction of either Australia or the US. Remember. Drilling for oil in Alaska National Wildlife Reserve is safe for animals but swimming with a whale is dangerous for the whales. (shakes head)

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I could be wrong but, The article doesn't mention anything about the U.S. Goverment. Just that Irwins film is being screened in the U.S. I believe the Aussie Gov. is the one he's in trouble with. If trouble is even the word to use. Chances are, it's not about danger to the whales or their environment, but about danger to Irwin. Seems to me like being in close proximity to a whale could be a little dangerous. Remember, technically suicide is against the law. This will probably blow over in a few days and nobody will even remember it.

[edit on 14-6-2004 by The Last Patriot]

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

This guy just can't seem to stay out of trouble these days. After an incident with his infant son and a crocodile where he dangled his son over the live reptile

Gazz

his son was more than 5 feet away from the crock and irwin had the child in a pose that had himself between the crock and the baby.

in australia it is illegal to have a boat closer than 30Meters to a whale without the engines running or 100meters with the engines running.

i think it is also illegal to swin closer than 30 meters. it is different if the animal comes to you however, if you are swimming and the animal comes towards you then it is ok, just like it is ok if the animal comes towards your boat, however if the animal does come towards your boat you must turn the engines off.

i havent seen the fottage other than the whale being near the boat on a 30 second news update but i fail to see if he was not in Aussie waters and if there is no laws governing antartican wanters how he could be in any legal danger.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
It does almost seem that some group is out to get him. The one thing that I always get from watching his programs is to have respect for the wonders that are in Nature. His love for animals and his care and concern for their wellbeing are lessons that more people should listen to.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Steve Irwin's all ways in trouble with someone these days.He does make a bit of a clown out of himself but i agree with Duke_Nukem(Fav all time game) that he genuinely care about the animal on his show.

I cant see a man that makes a living out of showing animals on Tv would do anything to hurt them and ruin his biz on cam for us to see.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   

from Indy
He was filming in Antarctica. I fail to see how that falls under the jurisdiction of either Australia or the US.

How does the US get involved in this?

:shk:

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Man, I love that guy! What the Hell is the problem? if he's insane enough to swim with 45 ton whales (and in so doing providing hours of entertainment) - I say, Go for it!

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
This is just Tall Poppy Syndrome at its finest. For those that don't know what this is it is a syndrome particularly rampant in Australia. See us Aussies love an underdog and will root for them and support them all the way. But when an underdog becomes successful look out because we love to bring them down just as fast. We can't stand to see people working hard and doing famously well and will use anything at all to bring them down. It happens all the time in Australia.

The US loves Steve and his family because of their hard work and dedication to wildlife preservation and conservation. Over here in the states we thinks its great he is able to make alot of money doing what he loves. Australian's don't like anyone they think have gotten too big for their briches and especially if they are financially successful. It's just the culture downunder unfortunately and is why most famous and successful Australians live elsewhere.

That is why Steve says he has "big" enemies downunder and he is right. His infant son was in no danger at all and in any other country it wouldn't have been mentioned at all. In fact Stevo would still be including his son in his work anywhere else other than in Australia and would be cheered for it.

I guess The Wiggles will be next. Mark my words some lame scandal about this fantastic group will eminate from downunder before too long. It's the one thing I hate most about Australia (I am an expat living in the US now) and one of the things I love most about the USA where people are genuinely happy for hardworking successful individuals.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Don't believe me, ask Roy Horne.

there is a vast difference between teaching people not to be afraid of wild animals by dispelling some of the myths about them and trying to keep them as pets and use them in your magic act.

never once have i ever heard irwin comment that wild animals would make great pets. in fact he's done the opposite, he's explained and shown how wild wild animals can be but has shown this doesnt mean we should be afraid of them. from fear comes ignorance hatred and death. he is only teaching us to respect them and why we should. vast difference between this and a guy who does a magic show with his "life mate" and treats full grown tigers like children. he's made it clear that even "tame" animals can still be wild while roy horne and his boyfriend and everyone else seemed to think that tame animals are truly tame. even a house cat isnt completely tame and they're considered a domesticated animal.

again, huge difference but i'm surprised you didnt see that.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Steve Irwin is the man. It sucks that he's getting this flack. He's on a show trying to educate people about nature and wildlife, he's doing nothing wrong. If people want to go after a show for abusing nature someone should go after Chris and Steve O. from Wildboys. That show is friggin hillarious, but they do worse things than Irwin does. I love both shows, and I dont think there should be any flack given to Irwin or MTV (I know this wasnt about Wildboys, but its just an example).

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrdependable
I guess The Wiggles will be next.

One can only hope

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Didn't you guys know? Steve Irwin is an alien, that's why the gov't is out to stop him and his show...

Seriously, the guys is harmless, unless you count the movie he made; "The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course". Now that was just crule to us humans.
He has educated kids more than most teachers in the school system about exotic animals. You can ask a kid who Colin Powell is and they'll just stare blankly at you, but ask them who the Croc Hunter is and they'll tell you all about him. I would have loved to have him growing up! He's like my generations Mr Robinson but on crack and on safari.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well, the Aus govt is involved because a large percentage of Antarctica is australian administered territory. As such Aussie laws apply. Also as far as the protection of antarctic animals, I believe there are international laws and treaties which ban such behaviour. I imagine as much for the safety of the person in question as to discourage tourists etc from getting out of control with it.

As far as mrdependable's little spiel, I can only suggest you have no clue what you are talking about, aussies are generally extremely proud and protective of our successful exports.

The difference with steve irwin is that he is an idiot, nobody had heard of him down here until he went to the US and became successful. As far as the crocodile wrestling etc, its really not much beyond what we have seen before with other people such as Malcom Douglas, who was a croc hunter then turned into a conservationalist and runs his own croc park. The difference is these guys didn't make so much cash and get to go be smartarses around with exotic animals in other countries.

Plus the whole Irwin attitude just doesn't sit well with aussies, we prefer laid back types. Steve always manages to come off fake, perhaps that doesn't register over there so much.

The Aus government isn't out to get him or whatever theory you might cook up over there, they even employed him to do a TV ad about the importance of quarantine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join