It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Meteoroligist Chad Myers Explains What Will Happen When Sun Awakens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Recently Chad interrupted a CNN broadcast to express his concern of upcoming events. The video is nowhere to be found, however I did find the transcripts.

COMMERCIAL BREAK)

VELSHI: All right. Chad comes up with some crazy stuff. OK? And we just let him be Chad, because that's what he is. But this one he's got me on.

He's telling me the sun is sleeping and is going to wake up.

Is this some kind of fairy tale? What is up with this?

CHAD MYERS, CNN METEOROLOGIST: I hope it's a fairy tale. I hope it doesn't happen.

VELSHI: All right. Because the sun looks just fine to me.

MYERS: It does. Do you know what a CME is?

VELSHI: No.

MYERS: Come on. You know what CME is, Chicago Mercantile Exchange.

VELSHI: Oh, yes. Of course.

(CROSSTALK)

MYERS: Coronal Mass Ejection. Big solar storms.

Now, you have to realize that the sun is a big round ball, and you can get an ejection to go one way, completely nowhere near where the Earth is. The Earth is over here, the ejection goes that way. We don't even care about it.

VELSHI: Right.

MYERS: But the sun is about to wake up. According to scientists and according to NOAA --

VELSHI: Is this one of these ejections?

MYERS: That is one, the Coronal Mass Ejection going out, and the plasma and all those other things that are spitting out from the sun. The sun has not done a lot of ejecting the past couple of years.

VELSHI: OK. All right.

MYERS: But we could be in to a 100-year kind of storm, 100-year flood kind of cycle with these ejections coming out of the sun.

Now, why do we care?

VELSHI: Yes. Good question.

MYERS: Because we have thousands of satellites in space that are at risk of being literally overloaded with power, overloaded with energy by these --

(CROSSTALK)

VELSHI: But I was going to ask you, is this heat or is this energy? What is this?

MYERS: It's energy.

VELSHI: OK. All right.

MYERS: It's energy coming out, and we know it. And all the people around the world will know these CMEs as -- what do you see when you go up into northern Canada in the summertime?

VELSHI: The northern lights.

MYERS: Yes, exactly, the northern lights. But sometimes northern lights can make their way all the way down into the mid- latitudes.

VELSHI: That's right.

MYERS: When that's happening, there's energy coming in to the ionosphere. The ionosphere protects us.

VELSHI: Right. I see. OK.

MYERS: We're not going to know that CME occurred technically

VELSHI: So the idea is that there are going to be more-there's a concern among scientists that the sun is going to start

MYERS: :Yes

VELSHI: Spewing off more of these things.

MYERS: Yes ejecting these things out. Yes.

VELSHI: Is-do we, do we have a projections or is this-I mean are they just saying we're due for one.

MYERS: We're due. Within (ph) within there's a big meeting in Chicago about this. What's going to go on? How many of these are going to come and do they have the potential to affect the earth, absolutely they do. First you'll lose your satellite you may lose GPS. You'll probably lose satellite TV because they're going to have to start shutting the satellites down in safe mode before the CME's get here. So it's going to be--our whole world --

VELSHI: Do we have stuff that gauges these CME's? I mean we have technology that does that?

MYERS There is a new weather space weather agency, by NASA and the kind of-NASA and NOAA putting the space (INAUDBILE) --, they want to know before it gets here, is it on its way.?

(CROSSTALK)

Kind of like a hurricane.

VELSHI: I'm taking you can't do anything about this.

MYERS: No.

VELSHI: It's not sunscreen

MYERS: You know, Bruce Willis can do a lot of things, he can move asteroids, he should have been able to stop the oil leak.

But he can't stop.

(CROSSTALK)

VELSHI: This is--this is not related to global warming, this is an unrelated phenomenon entirely.

MYERS Correct. Except that the sun because the sun hasn't been shooting out energy pockets in different direction, has been a little but warmer that was just proved last week. But the sun has just a touch warmer the past couple of years so maybe that's why we're seeing our warmest years ever. We get some of these shooting out maybe toward Mars, maybe Mars will have some global warming.

VELSHI: If you weren't right as much as you are, you would be one crazy cat. You come up with crazy stuff. But I'm glad you tell us about this. This is what off the radar is. Chad knows crazy stuff. And he's right most of the time. Good to see you my friend.

MYERS: Good to see you. Good to be back.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Nice find!
You have a link to the transcript?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I think it might be more than just satellite loss, not that it doesn't have plenty of repercussions itself that might make life a little more...less boring.

But what might be even more disturbing is that there seems to be a correlation between CME's (of a couple kinds) and other large natural events (quakes, Hurricanes, Tsunamis, etc.).

I seem to remember George Noory talking interviewing someone talking about this very thing.

Today the sun looks like this; pretty much clear except for that black dot on the left...:

The Magnetosphere seem a bit more interesting:

Anyway, the program with that guy (David Sereda) on it was from June 2nd, 2nd, 3rd and 4th hours for all you streamlink peeps.

Might deserve another listen.

Think Good Thoughts

EDIT: More information on David Sereda

In case you can't see that page: Voice Entertainment
David Sereda Blogspot
David Sereda

Some highly out there but interesting stuff...

[edit on 26-6-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Really a lot of space to say, "We maybe in for a bad time with CMEs"
Here is some good info on them
www.valdostamuseum.org...
Here is an interesting article on how one fried telegraph wire and set them on fire. That was long ago, how much more dangerous are the now?
science.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quadrivium
Nice find!
You have a link to the transcript?

Yep..its another program at first but scroll down to after the commercial break and you'll find the conversation he had with the anchorman.

transcripts.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
NASA announced this last week..but remember where you heard it first

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ATLien

Nice thread OP as I am 1 Sun loving individual. Thanks for taking the time to bring this forward. Food for thought, imagine a planet lets say Earth maintains a electromagnetic field which it does. And this field interacts with the Sun electromagnetic field on a regular basis nothing wrong there. But imagine the Earth from being mined and stripped used for waste storage that last long periods begins to emitt a abnormal electromagnetic wave that the Sun responds to. Even further what if this electromagnetic interaction between Sun and Earth causes the Sun to send replinishing plasma waves of reconstruction to Earth via CME or Extreme CME. Now if this only occured when a planet goes into distress then it over time it rejuvinates the unhealthy planet. Does Earth seem unhealthy????

[edit on 9/1/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
This is what i love about ATS, being one step ahead of the rest of Humanity!

Great find S&F

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I see, well Earth does seem unhealthy, however if that were the suns way of helping us, would it not ultimately do just the opposite to us as a species?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I have heard it will cause a lot more than satellite outages, more like massive power grid failures.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Of course this isn't necessarily what is going to happen. There is every possibility that the sun has gone quiet and we may be entering a minima. Through most of the 20th century the sun has been at a maxima and more active than anytime in the last 5,000 years. However, since 2004 there have been 807 spotless days on the sun (a sign of comparative solar inactivity). Consider that a typical solar minima would have 486 spotless days over the same period and it's clear we are in a period of significantly low solar activity.

This is exactly what happened at the beginning of the little ice age. During the preceding centuries the earth had warmed, the glaciers were melting, agriculture flourished and populations surged. Then the sun went quiet. Weather became erratic. There was unusually cold winters in certain regions, unusually hot summers in other regions, severe weather, unexpected and prolonged flooding and then the temperature started to drop. Does any of this sound familiar? It should.

The description of the weather and climactic events that preceded the little ice age is exactly what is going on right now.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ATLien
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I see, well Earth does seem unhealthy, however if that were the suns way of helping us, would it not ultimately do just the opposite to us as a species?

The issue, ITS NOT ABOUT US ITS ABOUT THE PLANET GIVEN TO US IN WHICH WE DISRESPECT and dont appreciate. Hence why when everything is natural NO WORRY

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
A TV weatherman is a solar scientist? Not.

Yes, we are approaching solar maximum. Yes, there will be more solar activity.
Yes, we are sensitive to the effects of strong solar activity because of our great dependence on electrical power.

Yes, there could be a CME which could produce a damaging geomagnetic storm. It could happen next week, next year, or not for 100 years. We have no way of knowing.

No, we are not at any greater risk during this solar cycle than we were during the last one eleven years ago.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Funny that Velshi calls Myers crazy 4 times throughout this discussion. 3 of them in rapid succession at the end of the piece.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

God forbid someone tells us the truth instead of sugar coating it, the media is great at that sort of thing.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
It seems there is a cyclical event we need to brace for, according to the Ice core sample records. It is like a heart beat every 100,000 years or so and we are at the spike now.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Not that I don't believe you, butttt..If I had to bet, I'd go with Chad Myers on this one.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Here is a question or thought, I know it was Hollywood but could the destructive solar flare in the movie Knowing, could something similar actually occur during one of said solar storms? Is it out of the realm of possibility?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ATLien

He didn't say anything.
He babbled.

VELSHI: But I was going to ask you, is this heat or is this energy? What is this?

MYERS: It's energy.

No, it's plasma.

MYERS: When that's happening, there's energy coming in to the ionosphere. The ionosphere protects us.

No. The aurora are charged particles, not "energy". The ionosphere doesn't protect us from CMEs, the magnetosphere does.

MYERS There is a new weather space weather agency, by NASA and the kind of-NASA and NOAA putting the space (INAUDBILE) --, they want to know before it gets here, is it on its way.?

What?
Babble...babble...babble.

[edit on 9/1/2010 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
No, we are not at any greater risk during this solar cycle than we were during the last one eleven years ago.

I'd be willing to say yes, we are at greater risk. Why? We are much more connected through a system that can be shut down if the Sun decides to.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join