It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coming Gulf Coast Firestorm: How the BP oil catastrophe could destroy a major U.S. city

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

The Coming Gulf Coast Firestorm: How the BP oil catastrophe could destroy a major U.S. city

www.naturalnews.com

This would not be an ordinary city on fire, either: It would be a city doused with volatile fuels that soaked it to the core. The sewers would explode like massive terrorist bombs, ripping to shred any underground infrastructure (fiber optics, water delivery, electrical infrastructure, etc.). The pavement itself would be on fire, as would parks, grasslands and forests. The city would burn from top to bottom, and there would be no point even trying to put out the flames.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This is amazingly true, because you have a city drenched in oil, and all the normal problems of a hurricane, you really are screwed. To point it out, Normal rain cannot carry oil, hurricanes tend to "Pick" up things, like fish and animals, so it isn't that out there. We can just hope it doesn't happen.

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Real Worst Case Scenario - But I also see its very possible. What writer didnt mention is airborne toxics, even if the doomsday fire doesnt happen, there is acid in the air - all animals will die to these toxics, and there will be impossible to breath.

Evacuate your selfs - Mother nature will attack greedy peoples. Leave now.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I think people are getting a little bit carried away by all of this lol...everything will be fine given time

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Wow, this is a possibility that I hadn't even considered before.
At this point it's a wait-and-see situation, and ultimately we're just bouncing theories off of each other because we really don't know how this will play out.

I'm hoping for the best and expecting the worst to be honest

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I guess preparing for the worst is the best possible solution, and when you see the quantity of oil in the ocean now.... I can't remember which thread it was, but someone posted a picture of a wave that was literally brown and oily :s

I feel sorry for the people living on the gulf coast !

Peace

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Coo

g4tv.com...
watch the video..

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
Evacuate your selfs - Mother nature will attack greedy peoples. Leave now.

Well now, that's easy for you to say considering that you aren't one of the people who would be leaving their homes and friends.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Coo
I think people are getting a little bit carried away by all of this lol...everything will be fine given time

You are 100% correct.

Given a few thousand years time, everything will be fine.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by blujay

But when you think of the possible situation that would arise from a city doused in oil.... makes you wonder

Peace

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Does the article say which major city?

And what about us Floridians? Should we evac now? Or wait it out for the lovely government to issue a warning first?

edit: apparently missed the Galveston or New Orleans part.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by The Dutch]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Thats right, but all warnings are there now from really worst case scenario will happen and I hope not single ATS members will be lost, and people who might get affected will help their selfs before its too late.

I am very sorry from whats happening over there - scary situation indeed, and with all information out, I would evacuate my self if this kind of situation, if not working in response, emergency, army or police forces.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jdills1196

Even if the oil doesn't catch fire the ground will be contaminated. I wonder what kind of chemical they'll come up with to spray on land to disperse the oil? If fires/oil contamination doesn't destroy cities the chemicals used for cleanup will probably finish the job.

Strong hurricane winds blowing across the oceans surface would most likely deliver a combination of toxic fumes inland. It's not just oil spewing out. Most likely we'll never be told just exactly what's in the mix. We probably won't find out until the cancers start showing up.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I hate to break it to anyone but oil does not catch fire easily. It certainly would not explode like a "nuclear bomb".

Also, after a hurricane it takes months to dry out. Hurricanes will drop anywhere from 6 to 30" of water in the form of rain and most of the oil and toxins would wash away with the rain.

There's plenty to worry about there in the Gulf but I don;t think this is anything to lose sleep over.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Its sounds like unwarranted fear mongering to me. Even assuming that oil could be deposited on a major city, the volume of the oil and oil byproducts being washed ashore by hurricane winds in relation to the accompanying rain falling would be very small. As a result, with perhaps the exception of localized pools, the average layer of oil would be very thin and highly diluted. Just to add, I'm not at all convinced that oil/fuel can condense and fall as rain under the same atmospheric conditions as water vapor can.

As the author says, oil and refined fuels evaporate. How long does it take a layer of oil a few hundreths of an inch thick to evaporate? Not long at all, once the rain stops.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by The Dutch

It depends where storms will strike. Evacuation readiness should be raised all along the coast now - and done everywhere where methane levels are counted deadly or storms will hit with oil rains.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I hate to break it to anyone but oil does not catch fire easily. It certainly would not explode like a "nuclear bomb".

Also, after a hurricane it takes months to dry out. Hurricanes will drop anywhere from 6 to 30" of water in the form of rain and most of the oil and toxins would wash away with the rain.

There's plenty to worry about there in the Gulf but I don;t think this is anything to lose sleep over.

They didn't say the oil itself but some of the compounds that are light enough to evaporate and carry with the rain are also highly flammable.

And honestly, here in south Louisiana it does not take months to dry out unless it's a very low area that turned into a temporary lake. Everything else absorbs in the ground pretty quick and we dry up fast.

I know i plan to evacuate for ever storm entering the gulf unless it's going to mexico. Of course, where i live, they force us to evacuate now.... ever since Katrina/Rita.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jdills1196

Well, Noah, you tried.
Who is supplying the pitch and bitumen for your ark?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

We will have a lot to fear from airborne toxins.
There are people who will be like canaries in a cave.
When the canaries die,then you know to get out fast.
The human canaries are the asthmatics and anyone
with a breathing problem.This also includes me!

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

So you're saying the oil/toxins would be so dilute it couldn't cause contamination or fires? Here where I live in CO methane drillers caused methane to leak into private water wells. Some wells blew up others went dry and a few people could light the water flowing from their tap. BTW they didn't drink the water.

Homes do catch fire during floods. I remember seeing a few burning after Katrina.

While this might not go off like a nuclear bomb it's not a healthy situation for the people/wildlife living along the Gulf. Even without the oil areas hit by hurricanes are left vulnerable to many contaminants. I can't imagine all that oil/toxins wouldn't leave it's mark on land.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join