It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McChrystal: The Special Forces Days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Recently Obama fired this guy, I have been following his career for quite some time. I have read a number of accounts by ex Special Forces and CIA types who all say this guy is the best he is constantly referred to as the “solders solider”. I found this article on him whilst going through my usual morning routine of reading through the news sites. The first paragraph i found very interesting it says that:

“They called it the "Death Star" because according to one source who worked inside it, "you could just reach out with a finger and eliminate" somebody. On the walls were banks of television screens, known by the special forces boys as "Kill TV", where footage from image-intensifier cameras of the enemy being blown up by air strikes, or being gunned down by undercover hit teams was shown.”

www.independent.co.uk...

Like i said i have read quite a few books that talk about him and i think this article sums it all up very well. Just wondering what my fellow ATSters make of McChrystal and in particular this article.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by kevinunknown]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I think that Obama made a huge mistake in firing him, apparently he is also respected by the Afghan government and the educated, westernized portion of the population that opposes the Taliban which is a plus. He's well liked by the military, he's well liked by the other NATO partners, and he's well liked by the Afghans ... and Obama fires him because he dares to speak his mind. He was fired because he wanted to win, not play Obama's bull# game.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Was he not fired from the Afghanistan role? as opposed to fired from the Military?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

Couldn’t agree with you more. This is a massive mistake.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Bravo111

Yeah, but honestly if I were him I'd rather retire than put up with a desk job. Besides, if he's DD from the Army that leaves him free to pick up $10,000 per hour on the lecture circuit where he can talk trash about how militarily worthless Obama is on a daily basis

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Well, technically obama didn't fire him. General McChrystal had his resignation ready 2 days before the meeting, and handed it over thereby resigning his position, but not his commission. He still has yet to retire.

I hope he writes a book.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by The Patriot]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I'm sure you guys know this, but...

Tillman-McChrystal Controversy?

More...

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
His career is done for unfortunately so he might as well retire. I don't see where else they could send him and still keep him on active duty. Pretty much all the (full/4 star) General slots are filled.

This was yet another huge blunder by Barry the Toddler.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'll leave this as it is relevant to the conversation:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
I believe that as far as policy and attitude McChrystal was prescribing a less acheivable reality than was to truly be the outcome. Admiral Mullen has said more than once in public and in meeting that our debt is a bigger threat short and long term than Afghanistan, Iran, or even North Korea. We need perspective here, McChrystal was pushing a strategy, and the admin continues to do so, of nation building. This is an expensive process that requires hundreds of thousands of troops, and hundreds of billions of dollars. McChrystal and Petraeus are both running their own foreign policy over there and it is high time we reigned it in. NO ONE had a problem(in the administration) with what McChrystal was doing, only that he got political on the media about it.

The rest of the military brass, foreign policy circles, intelligence circles, and independent strategy organizations have all recommended against any further escalation in Af-Pak. Regardless of McChrystal's and Petraeus' intentions, history will show what a damned shame and failure this strategy was from the beginning.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Wow! I never really knew about General Stanley McChrystal's past and his successes in Iraq after the invasion and during his successor in Afghanistan, David Petraeus's surge. He sounds like one of our best when it comes to mingling among the natives and taking them out if necessary. How I see the flap that took his command, the general did not say anything exclusively about the President; but his subordinates did. I could be wrong though?

Looking at the general's past escapades as a "Snake Eater," in Iraq; it seems his approach is what is appropriate for Afghanistan. Strategic strikes, a light nimble force doing the brunt work, and the regular military available for support operations. Apparently, he is a "soldier's soldier," because he jumped on the grenade for his men. He could have distanced himself from it as other Generals have done, but he did not. Moreover, he accepted the burden of his command. A special ops soldier works better from behind the scenes anyway. That is how they have always done business, and are known for their flamboyant nature compared to regular service.

Still what went on concerning the General was walking the line of insubordination, even if it did not come from him exclusively. Hopefully, he will be sent back in some capacity in a support role or as an adviser to General Petraeus? It would be sad if he retires and we lose his expertise on counter insurgency operations. We will just have to wait and see. Regardless of the political circus surrounding General McChrystal, he had one impressive career.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

That’s a really excellent point.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
he did the right thing in firing the guy.

the military is a branch of the government and is not separated from it.in the military the chain of command is to be respected.

the sad thing is he cant use ucmj on people in the government who dont respect the chain of command the way the military does.that would be great if he could have executive powers likened to mccarthyism on the people who call themselves government employees.i mean if the military is a branch of the government and he is commandant what rights does a senator have in heckling or a governor in dreams of succession.

people attempt to limit obamas power and not let obama be the president he is.i just hope he passes some executive orders based on how he has been teated and the experience he has gained while in office.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by Ausar]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

Ever since you said that unclean women deserve to be raped i cannot respect anything you say no matter how valid the point. I am a fan of Obama but when someone makes a mistake, as i believe this is am going to shout about it.

Go back to what you’re good at, justifying the actions for rapists.

top topics

join