It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why not just put a rock on the hole?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Do they think all too much, or I am simply naive?
My idea is so simple, maybe nobody thought about that:

I mean how havy is a full ship container? So they just need to transport such a baby on a cargo ship, and let it down....or is that just to simple?

[edit on 26-6-2010 by cushycrux]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I think the pressure from the oil pushing out would donkey punch that thing off of it. Stuff loses its weight in the water anyway doesnt it. Pretty cool rock though.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Dont be silly, theres nowhere near enough profit to be made from such a simple solution.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by VintageEnvy

The weight might be seem less in water, but the mass is still the same, so this may possibly work? The Rock on the pictures is about 50 metric tons.

I think it's also possible to "edit" the stones surface, so it can perfectly fit in that hole.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by cushycrux]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
Dont be silly, theres nowhere near enough profit to be made from such a simple solution.

Yeah, they blew up one of the most profitable oil drilling sites in the world and they refuse to fix it so they can make profit. That makes perfect sense.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by IKnowKungFu]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Something tells me you don't understand how pressure and force work. It wouldn't work, sorry. Turn your bathroom sink on and try to stuff a cork in the spout. That's the best comparison I can give you this late at night.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by IKnowKungFu

This words is so bad...do they really only think about money?
www.forbes.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by IKnowKungFu

Originally posted by Firefly_

Yeah, they blew up one of the most profitable oil drilling sites in the world and they refuse to fix it so they can make profit. That makes perfect sense.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by IKnowKungFu]

Uhmm actually... those 2 relief wells you heard of? well they are gonna make a humongues profit from those... they werent allowed to drill aditional wells but this spill has forced them to do it anyway... and nobody can deny those 2 wells will pump out more profit then the 1 well thats lost... so yeah... the poster you responded to isn't that far off base...

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
A friend of mine is a Geology professor at a local Junior College. He told me when they tried the top kill the stuff they were trying to force down the well, much of it did not come out. He believes the pipe walls may have formed tiny fractures throughout the pipe. If this is the case when they try to insert the relief well’s pipes into those pipes it could make them reach the point of “no return” as he put it. In other words the whole original pipe would just crumble to nothing, pretty much just disintegrating. If this occurs if people think the leak is big now just wait. They will be left with just two options at that point, one let the well drain out for a couple of years or decades, or a controlled thermo nuclear explosion in hopes it turns the sea floor above the oil reservoir to thick layers of glass. Never know maybe this disaster once it sets in will finally convince the world to embrace new and alternate technologies, than just burning all the ancient dead life buried in the ground.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by AmosGraber]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quinctilius Varus
Something tells me you don't understand how pressure and force work. It wouldn't work, sorry. Turn your bathroom sink on and try to stuff a cork in the spout. That's the best comparison I can give you this late at night.

Are you sure?

Some cars will be half in the air in this situation, but a car is about 1.3 metric tons, the rock on the picture is 50 metric tons. I think it's worth a try.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I honestly dont think they can top it with anything and theyve known this from the beginning. I think the only thing that will work are the relief wells but since nobody would be happy or accept that as an answer they've had to do these other options 'for show' knowing they were not going to work to buy time for the relief wells to be finished.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmosGraber
www.businessinsider.com...

GREAT!

Virus mankind..Argh!

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
As sad as it is to say...I think even dwelling on what could be is a waste of time and energy...and is frustrating...they have received THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of suggestions...granted I am sure that about 99% don't work for whatever reason....but they have tried hardly a handful of things....they are not listening to people....they have not wanted to from the start...they want the relief wells and they most likely had this planned. Not planned in the sense that they blew their own stuff up (although highly possible) but rather planned in the sense that if this were to happen relief wells is what they would do to "fix" it while profiting on the whole thing...I know many people have asked "why wouldn't they have a way to fix something like this?!?" something tells me they are following that plan right now...but they obviously cant flaunt it in public or the people would (GOD FORBID!) actually do something.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
You can't just put a rock on it because the oil will simply find another path through the soil (actually it already did by now). The pressure is extremely high, so you have to put a rock somewhere very very, very deep in the well.

It's like putting a rock on a volcano, it would just erupt somewhere else....

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
So,

if you actually read some of the more informative threads here, like this one:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You will understand that capping the well will only build up pressure down pipe, which will cause the well to fail. They OPENED the well head a few weeks ago to increase pressure at the top, which decreases pressure lower down, maintaining the integrity of the pipe hopefully until they get the relief wells dug.

If all BP had to do was cap or close the pipe, they could have done this months ago. The problem is that when they do that, the entire well will most likely explode open.

But thanks for your totally uninformed, unresearched laymens perspective. Im sure the sciencey guys at BP will be calling for your brilliance any minute now.

top topics

join