It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FINALLY: The TRUTH About Chronic Oil Spillage DWARFS Deepwater Horizon

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
BP decides to see how absorbent scott towels really are.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
i think doc's onto somethin here guys. sounds pretty probable that this isn't a real big deal. i'm not sure about the methane though.

i know over 500million gallons were dumped into the gulf of arabia or whatever gulf they have over there in '91 and their world didn't seem to collapse. is that a comparable scenario or am i way off base?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
what is an Enviro-Tard? I'm being serious, are you combining the words environmentalist with retard? I'm confused - does being concerned about the environment imply that one is mentally delayed or in some way held back in terms of progress or advancement?

I'm reading every post about this situation very carefully and trying to maintain a balanced perspective - not crediting or discrediting anyone's opinion until I look deeper but in this case, for some reason, this particular word sticks out to me and I'm unclear on who you are or what you are getting at.

I'm honestly not trying to be rude, just trying to clarify if it's a particular kind of environmentalist you are mocking or environmentalists in general - we should all be environmentalists, being that we rely on it for survival

environmentalist |enˌvīrənˈmen(t)l-ist; -ˌvī(ə)rn-|
noun
1 a person who is concerned with or advocates the protection of the environment.
2 a person who considers that environment, as opposed to heredity, has the primary influence on the development of a person or group.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Assuming that your figures are correct and that amount of oil could be considered usual annual (sustainable) leakage, how much of that total was from the gulf and how much was from other areas?

If the total from the Deepwater site equals the yearly worldwide total then this means that the worldwide total has doubled so far this year. Is this sustainable on a worldwide basis let alone in the confines of the Gulf?

"The POINT, you dolts" was that really necessary?

[edit on 6/26/2010 by LuFri]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by skyflower

Goes to my point above. and to the mindset of the OP?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LuFri

I believe, as stated in my post, and as near as i can tell that most of that 375 million gallons referred to in the article is NOT from oil wells like this one. The gallons referred to flow offshore as pollution from humans and are very different in composition from what's gushing in the gulf, as others have pointed out. Maybe I misread it.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by alchemist2012
So Doc has BP raised the amount they give you to post increased with the disaster?You and"Just Wondering"who i am starting to think is your Alter Ego all ways want to make light of the situation.

Honey, I wish I was on BP's payroll — then I could crank out unfettered volumes of propaganda that would send the paranoid schizophrenics out there into a balls-out, mass psychotic break.

And, no, this is the only screen name under which I post. One enormously-inflated ego is quite enough for me, thanks.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I think the OP makes some valid points about the context of this oil leak. Yes, this oil 'spill' is bad. Yes the corexitt is toxic. I am not denying this.

But I also think that a lot of folks on this forum are screaming bloody murder because they lack the experience and knowledge to put this spill into context. I, for one, was shocked to learn about the Ixtoc spill int he Gulf in the 70's. It spilled a 'reported' million barrels (in reality probably much more) and yet I had NEVER heard about it. The Gulf still relatively intact for the last three decades since.

Again, I am NOT saying this spill isnt potentially catastrophic, but that hyperbole from any side does little to spread real information and knowledge. Yes, this is a conspiracy site, but i tend to put more weight in the posts that offer credible links and knowledgeable information. The fact is, oil is not necessarily instantly toxic to the oceans. Even before we were drilling the oceans had oil in them. It seems to me that there are some here who are completely ignorant of this fact.

North Carolina was known as the Tarheel state well before the internal combustion engine or oil rigs.

The posts and threads that give vague pronunciations of doom and destruction seem to do little to promote any intelligent discussion, and appear to be more about a soapbox and sounding board for the internet nostradamouses. Give me the DATA to back up your visions of apocalypse.

And I agree, show me a few more photos than the same four images of the same bird covered in oil. I understand there is a media black out, but are you REALLY telling me you cant get more than a couple photos of a few dead birds? Jeesh. Journalists are getting awfully lazy.

My point is if this were in South America, or Africa, or India, we might not even hear about it, and it might get swept under the rug. But because its in America's back yard, it gets blown out of proportion because America has to do everything Bigger than anyone else.

Instead of blindly attacking the OP, why not actually read his points and take them on one by one? He makes some intelligent points, as well as some absurd ones. It would seem he's just asking the more hyperbole-inlcined among us to use a little science in their assessments of the effects of crude (NOT Corexxit) on the environment.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by justadood]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

I know, right? I tend to think the threads that promote fear and doom are the ones sponsored by the ptb. Or at least unconsciously promote similar agendas.
I'm generally not threatened by someone who says 'calm down'. Regardless of the enormity of the situation, freaking out rarely leads to any constructive solutions.

I have yet to see the ALL CAPS approach really solve any of the world's most dire issues.

It is the symptom of the the uneducated being given the tools of communication. They know how to speak, but they only like the sounds of their own voices, yelling against the din of other idiots yelling.

I disagree with a lot of your assessment, especially the terrible-ness of cap and trade, but you trying to insert a little sanity and context is hardly threatening or the sign of a paid 'shill'. The MSM is doing a fine job of that role.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by justadood]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I don't get the OP's logic on this. If I take 1 aspirin every day for a year I just took 365 aspirins. I will survive no problem. But If I took lets say 365 in a day. i'm in the hospital with an OD on OTC pills.

If I drink a shot of rum everyday for a year that's 365 shots. I'll feel fine, my body will process it normally, but what would happen if I took 365 shots of rum in a day would my body be ok with it?

In other words the OP is saying its ok, our oceans drink 375 million gallons of oil each year. 375 million in 3 months "ON TOP" of the 375 million gallons of existing is no big deal.

Yes, the OP is right. 375 million of oil over a course of a year hasn't really caused a catastrophe. He just fails to factor in the 375 million gallons concentrated in 1 spot in just 1/4 of the time. Not to forget the added Corexit which has added to the toxicity of the water.

I dunno man....I could dump a gallon of chlorine in a pool and everyone who swims in it will be fine, but dump that gallon into a kiddie pool with a gallon of some other chemical and i guarantee there will be some problems.

Try this simple experiment yourself OP...Find out how much food you eat in a year...now continue to eat that same amount while adding on an equal amount of food in 3 months and tell me you are feeling just fine and your body is handling it perfectly. Tell me there will be no extra strain on your self, no extra weight to carry around.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
on a related note, drinking 10 glasses of water a day is good for you yet you can drink to much water and kill your self, yet its never reported on..

375 million a yeah on the entire face of the planet that is mainly covered in water is way different that 111 million in 2 months on a confined area of the gulf.. and we dont even know if those numbers are anywhere near correct.. they change every week..

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Proper Perspective? What is your primary objective here? I understand and agree that nature has a way of taking care of itself. However, use your philosophy in the following analogy, and then honestly answer the questions at the end(I am only using this as an example and DO NOT wish you any harm); You accidentally cut yourself while shaving everyday for a year and take care of the wound with a small piece of TP. After a few days each wound heals and is really not a safety or health issue because your body can take care of itself. Then one day a mugger attacks you and slashes your neck the equivalent of the previous years shaving cuts in one fell swoop. Are you going to reach for another small piece of TP or declare a serious emergency and seek help? Your dialog & grammar shows you to be an above average intelligent person and I find it very hard to believe that your being straight with us. If you do honestly believe what you have written in your post, I have one more question. - What If Your WRONG? Let the electric razor jokes fly!!!

Regards, Thom

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanObanion
i think doc's onto somethin here guys. sounds pretty probable that this isn't a real big deal.

Gee... TPTB must be laughing there heads off

"Look at these Sheeple, they are starting to think like us..... well reducing the population might become easier and more acceptable then we thought"

No big deal indeed

[edit on 26-6-2010 by Village Idiot]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DutchBigBoy

Exactly,thank you. I was about to say the same thing. It's one discussion when no chemicals are involved but a different story with all the dispersants they're pumping in. See Kindra Arnensen's vid on you tube. She'll tell you EXACTLY how it feels there right now!

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by Ceriddwen
To trivialize it as such is rather irresponsible...

Who's trivializing?

I'm saying and have said for many weeks that the ocean knows how to handle crude oil spills. The mechanisms are in place to naturally decompose and degrade the stuff.

In the natural history of the Earth, do you not think that seismic forces have, at one time or another, opened up a fissure directly into a giant crude oil reservoir? On a planet as seismically active as Earth, you know it's happened in the past, at some point over the last several hundred million years.

So, where's the evidence of a far-reaching, extinction-level event as the result of a crude oil leak? Anywhere?

There IS NO evidence.

We dump at least whole Deepwater Horizon incident into our oceans every year. The oceans suck it up, resorb the stuff, and life goes on. The oceans are already accustomed to processing our spillage, after more than a half century of heavy manmade pollution.

Deepwater Horizon is NOT going to "destroy whole environments" — if crude oil spillage COULD destroy whole environments, don't you think the Gulf of Mexico would already be a toxic wasteland, after 50 or 60 years of nonstop oil pollution?

It's not.

Which tells me that natural mechanisms are in place to handle the spillage. The oceans are capable of cleansing themselves without our assistance.

And TPTB know it... Which is why I think the Deepwater Horizon incident is being allowed to continue without resolution. TPTB need a few oil-stained beaches to push their Green Agenda, Cap & Trade, et cetera.

So they're LETTING it leak.

They know it's not going to destroy the marine environment, but it sure makes a hell of a spectacle to drive the enviro-tards into hysterics.

Why do you think neither BP nor the Obama Administration seem particularly hysterical about this incident? It's because, like me, they have the thing in proper perspective.

Unlike me, they are going to ream out the collective rectum of the world with Cap & Trade, Carbon Taxes and draconian environmental mandates.

— Doc Velocity

I think you should investigate the word Draconian...

Then I suggest YOU should NEVER use the word to describe a third party...

The effects of the oil and environmental mandates are NOT the same thing. But somehow your hate for one has caused you to augment and almost deify oil in the ocean. I am going to find some welfare recipients and BBQ them latter, you should come, but don't worry millions of welfare recipients die each year anyways

Take it easy Dracula

[edit on 27-6-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Village Idiot

Originally posted by IvanObanion
i think doc's onto somethin here guys. sounds pretty probable that this isn't a real big deal.

Gee... TPTB must be laughing there heads off

"Look at these Sheeple, they are starting to think like us..... well reducing the population might become easier and more acceptable then we thought"

No big deal indeed

[edit on 26-6-2010 by Village Idiot]

Only in America

We are developing a new system of drug testing BTW

ay, you stick a persons head under water for five minutes and it will cure them of drug addiction!!! Then you offer them a bump or something... the amazing thing is, none of them ever touch drugs again.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

higher taxes, higher fuel and higher food prices

And this is where the OP shows his true face and we know why he really tries to downplay this catastrophe

In addition to all the oil (which is extreme for this region, even if natural spillage occurs) there are numerous toxic chemicals being used to cope with the oil.

Your whole "this is normal and not that serious" statement is beyond ridiculous!

You might be willing to trade cheap gas for your car against the environment and the people living in those places, but every good person would do the exact opposite.

Get a job with BP imo...

<< 1  2   >>

join