It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if the leak never stops?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Then it would no longer be called a 'leak' into the ocean

it would be called an unabated oil intrusion in the ecosystem....

oh yeah,....................... that's what it really is now!

(...instead its referred to as an innocuous 'spill' or 'leak')

[edit on 26-6-2010 by St Udio]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by CoachSlamYou

Good question.

At least some of us are awake. I've been waiting for someone to ask this very same question.

And your right it is a leak not a spill.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
Explanation: Oh come on everybody! Stop around the issue and bite the bullet and answer the question! :shk:

It's quite simple...we will all die!
... eventually, which was going to happen anyway so nothing has really changed OK!

Personal Disclosure: Why isn't the US throwing bucket loads of potatoes into the gulf and throwing a match to it?
The resulting instantaneous production of billions of tons of fried fish and chips could feed humanity for years to come! It could save us from a NWO arranged world hunger crisis that is sure to be just around the next corner!

Edited emoticon fail. sigh

[edit on 26-6-2010 by OmegaLogos]

Goodmorning my little BPrs!

and yes we will all die! But you first I'll fly back to Kuwait and live a few more years.......

great post btw I love smilioes

[edit on 26-6-2010 by jeffrybinladen]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

According to the National Research Council's 2003 report on Oceanic Pollution, humans dump 375 MILLION GALLONS of oil into the world's oceans EVERY YEAR, and we have done so for more than half a century.

Just more and more evidence to support the notion that oil is NOT a "dwindling, hard-to-find, non-renewable energy source."

If it were gold bars spewing out of the hole instead of totally worthless crude oil, we can bet that this leak would have been contained instantly and every single speck of gold would be rounded up and recovered.

Oil is worthless. That is the sign.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by mike_trivisonno]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno

According to the National Research Council's 2003 report on Oceanic Pollution, humans dump 375 MILLION GALLONS of oil into the world's oceans EVERY YEAR, and we have done so for more than half a century.

Just more and more evidence to support the notion that oil is NOT a "dwindling, hard-to-find, non-renewable energy source."

If it were gold bars spewing out of the hole instead of totally worthless crude oil, we can bet that this leak would have been contained instantly and every single speck of gold would be rounded up and recovered.

Oil is worthless. That is the sign.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by mike_trivisonno]
good point if this was 24k gold I would grow gills and swim down -10,000ft for it

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
In fact, we have more to worry about from the very toxic chemical dispersants that they're pumping into the leak. The crude oil itself isn't particularly toxic.

— Doc Velocity

Thank goodness someone else is suggesting this as well... I was flamed for saying this on another thread, and suggesting that the marine animals were dying more from the dispersants than from oil.

I also would like to add that the Nuclear option will more than likely be the final thing that happens as soon as the powers that be appease the sheeple by showing all of mankind that the relief wells won't work. They have more than likely wanted to use the nukes all along, however, due to the unpopularity of this option, have to show the world their BS "efforts" of being environmentally safe first.

God Help us all when they detonate them... I think it will be in the fall.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The relief wells are an MIT science experiment since the casing is shredded so...and per nuclear contamination? NAH nope since you're drilling around 14,000 very little of it. I'm starting to think this is a planned genocide event wait until you see all the suicides coming from Louisiana fisherman who are illiterate(not sure how they passed the hazmat test) but anyway once other countries such as China see proven results with positive death toll numbers they'll have a blow-out as well.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Thanks for all the great answers... Doc, I wanna know why you think this isn't that bad of a disaster. I've seen the satellite imagery, I've seen the images of birds all covered in oil and waiting to die. You know, If dolphins and sharks are coming sooo far inland im gonna go out on a limb and say that the oil is toxic. If its toxic to dolphins then it must be pretty toxic. I'm sure their probably just a little smarter then us wouldn't you say? I wonder if we had oil floating all over inside our house if we would stay there and say its not toxic or run away and be smart.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
If it did happen that it was never stopped, I wonder how long it would take to fill the oceans, and how long then would it take for all of us to suffocate?

Might we all be dragging around our little 02 tanks, before we starve to death?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I am unbelievably mad at this whole situation. BP knew what would eventualy happen, but with pound signs in their eyes, they kept drilling anyway.

If the leak isn't plugged soon I see effects happening that will have a huge impact on EVERYONE worldwide. THe Gulf of Mexico is dead, probably for the next 100-200 years AT LEAST, and as the oil is carried along the Eastern Seaboard of the USA, more & more aquatic life, and the livelyhoods that depend on it, will be destroyed. Beaches all along the USA's East Coast will start piling up with the carcasses of seabirds, whales and fish, all of which have died a painful, slow death in the black poison unleashed upon them by BP.

Tourists will completly boycott Florida and the Eastern States, industry will collapse along with anything that depends on the Ocean.

I also had a startling thought last night, what if this is just the start of something that will come to a head in 2012? Will the oil cause some sort of atmospheric changes that will have a drastic impact on climates? Maybe trigger a second ice age or cause the planet to overheat, or something that would come together in a disaster big enough to cause mass extinction.

What if BP has unleashed a monster that will slowly poison the planet, plants, wildlife, and eventualy, people.

I am British, BP is a Brirish company, and I hope they realise more & more Brits are becoming increasingly vengeful towards them and their fatcat shareholders.

I couldn't care less if BP gets fined or whatever for this, no amount of money or political bickering can fix what has been done to the Earth, the only thing that would take the tip off this iceberg is BP finding a way to stop the leak, and then ceasing to trade. Nothing, and I mean nothing will reverse this, and it makes me so angry.

When humans meddle with nature for our own gains, the result is NEVER a good one.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
If it did happen that it was never stopped, I wonder how long it would take to fill the oceans, and how long then would it take for all of us to suffocate?

It would take a long time. The Gulf of Mexico alone contains roughly 583,000 cubic miles of water. Assuming a 5 million gallon per day leak rate, it would take 352 million years displace the 643 quadrillion gallons of water just in the Gulf of Mexico. In order to reach one part per million in the Gulf, you'd need 643 billion gallons of oil. Again, assuming a 5 million gallon leak rate per day, even that takes 352 years.

The entire ocean contains about 240 times as much water as the Gulf.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I have been reading the many B-P Oil disaster threads and am heart sick at this.

I read CNN.com a lot and have been following the ongoing reports from there as well. Today CNN.com starting a running tally of amount of barrels the spill has accumulated to date.

Gulf disaster: Tracking the numbers

Rhain

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
LOL @ Doc Velocity....
I am sorry to burst your comfort bubble the problem never has been the oil it is the gas and the composition of the gas that is the real concern. FWIW, yet again, the real dangers come from low level benzene and H2S which are being produced in copious amounts that dwindle the oil loss. The sea is becoming saturated with these gasses and they are not just irritating they are deadly.
There is NO "safe" level of exposure to benzene 0, zip, zilch. It is a neurotoxic and hepatotoxic which causes leukemia and cancer.
H2S is associated with a rotten egg smell but is also highly toxic at low levels binding to the hemoglobin in the same fashion as carbon monoxide. Both are major components of the gas that makes up most of the gusher and saturating the water. Both have been measured @ outrageous levels at the sea surface as they diffuse into the air.
I must suggest that to those down playing THIS particular event are IMHO sad people who cannot grasp the hubris involved with this event or the actuality of its dire state.
Gloom and Doom it is called by folks like the Doc, as if there is a bright side to what is happening already( there may well be one...50yrs from now).

To all of you comfort cruisers without a care about the scope of the gulf gusher keep taking comfort in those big volume numbers for the gulf and oceans. But remember that when the first vapor clouds roll in and settle around people we shall see some very sick folks and a big increase in leukemia. That is a real fact about benzene and I really suggest all gulf inhabitants read up on the two big poisonous components of the GAS that is the real output of the gusher. Over the immediate future IT IS the danger.
N.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Don't let the ammount of "barrels" fool you. This is the worst enironmental disaster since tchernobyl. The air of coastal cities is contaminated by carcinogenic gazes (1000 times above safe levels or more), sealife is getting exterminated (depletion of oxygen).

top topics

<< 1   >>

join