It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From a distance, the Earth looks like a small blue dot...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
and so does the Pleiades (star cluster)

How can we be sure that they are only stars? I am starting to feel that they are group of Planets and I also feel that there IS other lifeforms out there.

There is too much info and talk about aliens and spaceships for them not to exist.

Here is a pic of what Earth looks like from a distance:

The image above was taken by Voyager 1:

Seen from 6.1 billion kilometres (3.7 billion miles), Earth appears as a tiny dot (the blueish-white speck approximately halfway down the brown band to the right) within the darkness of deep space ref

What is the Pleiades distance from Earth?

The distance to the Pleiades is currently thought to be the higher value of about 135 parsecs (roughly 440 light years) ref

I think the blue stars are Planets... where is the absolute proof that they are not Planets?

[edit on 25-6-2010 by Thurisaz]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Reply to post by Thurisaz

yes that makes sense. I remember reading here on ATS that some of the stars we see in the night sky, could be planets reflecting light.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Your absolutely right. the universe is so vast we literally cannot comprehend its enormity. the numbers insist on not 'maybe one" but probably countless planets and civilizations like ours elsewhere in the universe. Even more difficult to comprehend, there are most likely countless "SPACES" all endless like ours that contain the same uncountable numbers of worlds. Wow!!!...my head hurts

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Um....

The Pleiades cluster is visible to the naked eye, from the ground on earth and they are 440 Light years away.

Earth, as seen by Voyager 1 was only 6.1 billions kms away, which is 0.000645 light years away and it is a barely visible dot.

Do you not see a discrepancy there?

[edit on 25/6/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Keep in mind the amount of time it takes for light to travel to those distant stars. We're seeing them thousands if not MILLIONS of years in the past. Pretty crazy

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
They'd have to be extremely luminous planets!

I mean to project light that far away unobscured would be extremely unlikely!!!

I think it's safe to say their stars!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

440 Light years or 6.1 billions kms??? As if we could comprehend the difference!?!?. If somethings 10,000 degrees or 5,000,000 degrees..to us , it's just freaking hot.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mazeofSiriusC

I can comprehend the distance.

It's not that hard.

And what the OP suggests is impossible.

Besides, the Pleiades aren't the only blue stars visible, Rigel and Spica are a couple others that appear very bright in the night sky too.

Are these planets as well?

I almost forgot Neptune too.

It's blue, how well do we see Neptune with the naked eye from earth?

[edit on 25/6/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
If they are planets and the planets are that visible then where is the planets star(s)? That's a rhetorical question. They are stars OP.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Okay, your points made...Well, the "Blue" aspect aside...any of the countless blinking objects scattered throughout the universe could be anything?!?!. And by that same token there's no reason to assume Blue water and green vegetation would be a prerequisite to sustain alien ..possibly highly advanced alien life. Any star (go outside and pick one) could be alive with life. It's fun to contemplate.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I never said there isn't life out there.

I'm just denying that the Pleiades cluster could be planets.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Yeah. I think we're making a similar point. Its like arguing over which grain of sand displaced by a wave touched the beach first. Yeah there's a difference even if only a minuscule one. The big picture offers so much more.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

And it is indeed a big picture.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Um....
The Pleiades cluster is visible to the naked eye, from the ground on earth and they are 440 Light years away.
Earth, as seen by Voyager 1 was only 6.1 billions kms away, which is 0.000645 light years away and it is a barely visible dot.
Do you not see a discrepancy there?

Chadwickus…..

But apart from the 4,159,872,174,314,720 kilometre variation in distance, don’t you think the op could be onto something?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
When looking at Pleiades you are not just seeing the plain light from the Seven Sisters, but also the light reflected off a dust cloud the stars are currently passing through.

I guess this could explain the particular blueness of the stars (coupled with the fact they are hot B-type stars), and why they are so vivid with the naked eye.

On the other hand, if they were massive planets; perhaps the reflection from the dust could make them visible from a distance which was previously not thought possible.

Though I still think they are just stars

edit sp

[edit on 26-6-2010 by starstrings]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Wow, come on man. Astronomers calculate distance based on analysis of visible light. Based on the confirmed distance of this cluster, you really think it's planets????

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

and.

and

Still doubt about being alone in the universe ?
Or if we are capable of identifying a star from something else ?

[edit on 6/26/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
Still doubt about being alone in the universe ?
Or if we are capable of identifying a star from something else ?

No one in this thread has said we were alone in the universe. It's just been stated that based on the distances involved, the Pleiades are unlikely to be planets. Planets are too small to be seen with the naked eye at their distance. They're stars.

Now, they might have a few planets around them, but it's more likely that they mostly have debris orbiting them, considering their age and the gravitational forces involved.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
This was posted in Aliens and UFO's.

I do have to say that the amazing, mind throbing size of the observable universe does give me a slight feeling that UFOs are a real, extraterrestrial phenomena.

No matter how much I feel comfort in this idea, however, I cannot say that life exists anywhere else. So my final statement would have to be: "While the universe's vastness does seem to allude to a higher chance that life exist elsewhere, it it not conclusive."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join