It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confused About Austria(oops Australia)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
Kevin Rudd up until approx 10:15 am on the 24/6/10 was Australias elected Prime Minister represnting the Labour party(sic)
Now (just when you thought nothing could get worse) Julia Gillard Australias first Prime FEMALE minister has replaced him in power.
The question is why?

Rudd has screwed up far too many times, and cheesed off a great many voters, and many within his own political party with his abrasive autocratic style.
Too many things were going conspicuously wrong.

Unlike totally corrupt American politics, Australians watch politicians here with a keen eye, and even the slightest screw up or mistake will see them publicly hung, drawn, and quartered.
Or put another way "keep the bastards honest" as one politician (Don Chipp) once famously put it.

We will be facing a Federal election in a very few months, and the government were staring certain oblivion in the face with Rudd as PM.

So the Labour Party (double sic) decided to dump Rudd, and give Julia a go in the hope of salvaging the coming election.
From the Labor side, Julia is probably a good choice, and she will attract a huge female vote. If that will do the trick remains to be seen.

Looks like we may get to choose between "The Dragon" and "The Mad Monk".

*edit:

One point to make clear about the fury aroused by the proposed horrendous new mine tax.

Most of the heat is not coming from a handful of extremely wealthy mine owners.
After all, they each only have one vote, and most Aussies could not care less about them.

The deafening outrage is coming from hundreds of thousands of small Australian investors that have their retirement money invested in mining shares.
All those little people stand to get cut pretty deep with this new tax, and collectively their combined anger could really inflict some serious political damage at the coming election.

[edit on 26/6/2010 by Silver Shadow]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

Unlike totally corrupt American politics, Australians watch politicians here with a keen eye

Is that why they took our guns due to one crazy guy in Tasmania with incredible, suddenly aquired shooting skills ????

Don't be fooled, Australia was one of the testing grounds for US polotics...

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

Nobody took away our guns, we all decided that far fewer guns in the community would make Australia safer. The politicians did exactly what we asked for. And it has worked.

If everyone wanted to own guns, some "shooters rights" political party would be formed, and be a huge success.
It has never happened, because that is not what the majority of Australians want.

Why don't you run at the next election ?
Make your main political plank, totally unrestricted gun ownership for all Australians.
You would be slaughtered at the ballot box.
That is why nobody has tried it.

The politicians desperately need popularity at election time, and suggesting we need more guns would be the kiss of death.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

BS, My whole family owned guns for sport..

I've been here for 48 years... Did you arrive on the last boat???

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I don't know what to make of this yet, a conspiracy there may be between Rudd - Plane Crash.... time will tell.

Not sure if I trust Julia, she seemed all supportive of Rudd and not interested in the slightest when News came about of Leadership change a week before.

And now...... Swoosh, she jumps on him doing the Samba on his Head with a big smile..... BIG SMILE

Personally, I think she's a Gold Digger, not the "People's Person" she claims to be, but again... time will tell.

R.I.P Rudd, shame your moods got the better of you, other than that, you did alright.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by virgom129

BS, My whole family owned guns for sport..

I've been here for 48 years... Did you arrive on the last boat???

Been living in oZ a lot longer than 48 years.
Your family clearly do not represent the majority view of most Australians.
But you are perfectly entitled to your opinion.

In the coming Federal election, every politician will be doing everything possible to steal away a few votes from their political rival in every electorate around Australia.

So where are all the politicians and all the political parties making shooters rights part of their election promises ?
It is a sure vote loser.
That is why.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join