It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Kill-switch: Senate Panel Approves Controversial Cybersecurity Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

A U.S. Senate committee has approved a wide-ranging cybersecurity bill that some critics have suggested would give the U.S. president the authority to shut down parts of the Internet during a cyberattack.

It seems to me that the U.S. government is really reaching borderline totalitarianism with this new bill. Basically it means Obama has a kill-switch on the internet, this is a mighty blow for free speech. I always thought of the internet as sort of a 'town's square'. No one can take this from us!

Senator Joe Lieberman and other bill sponsors have refuted the charges that the Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act gives the president an Internet "kill switch."

Source

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
So basically the govt can declare a "cyber emergency" and shut down parts of the internet? Oh, well no worries...the govt wouldn't abuse this power. There's no way they would use this to stop the flow of information through alternative media sites and forums during an attack.

They're getting prepared for something...and they want to make sure we can only get information from the MSM when it happens.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by Adillin2012]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by NoamC

Nope. Nothing to see here. Joe Lieberman involved? No worries, a straight shooter if there ever was one. 260,000 diplomatic cables about to hit the airways? No connection what-so-ever. This is all about safety and concern for the American citizen coming from the same people who brought you the BP oil spill, the Wall Street bailout, porous borders, support of warlords, and lobbyist approved legislation. NO WAY is profit and control of the message involved in this. Move along.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by ABNARTY]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
People have sunken to new levels of cynicism in their post because of their choice makers.
loving it.
I don't live in the states but I do have a citizenship and this is crazy to think about..

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
So....when you "kill" money making websites who foots the bill for their lost income? Especially when they are ruled non-threatening to national security. I see higher taxes, as well as the possibility of abuse of power with this one. What are those idiots in Washington thinking

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NoamC

*shoots self in head*...I swore I'd officially be embarrassed to be of the human race is this bill was passed...I guess I'll have to add that to my signature...

EDIT: BTW...this thread sorta just drifted away in the wind didn't it...I found it just then with a search, as I only just found out about this...I was expecting to find a thread on the front page with 20 pages to read through...what's going on here...

EDIT: Oh, I see there is another thread on this with more replies...still quite little response though...

[edit on 1/7/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Obama On Cybersecurity

So much for the last bit we have left of free speech. We had a good run, guys.

-B

edit to add:
The Internet has been around for almost 50 years. We've got one hell of a head start. Let them try.
edit on 14-10-2010 by baked because: addition

new topics

top topics

join