It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Scarey Stuff Here** The Deepwater Horizon-How Deep Was It Drilling ?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
America needs a MUCH improved rail system for delivery of goods!

1 Main shipment point in each STATE goods are brought in by rail and trucks distribute these goods within the state NO more need for interstate trucks going from newyork to LA....Also ships can be used in the Lakes region and along coastlines.

That would be a start! Where's the argument against this? You give Israel 250million dollar anti missile defense system? You make plenty of money off oil leasing, plenty of money from taxes, START TRIMMING FAT WITH LAZY GOVT WORKERS....

This is pathetic even as this disaster continues it's like americans are wondering around in the dark not even attempting fuel conservancy.

One thing I also notice in America is military jets flying around?! JP4 is expensive so cut those flights down 30%...You have radar so.....

Limit automobile sizes and Tax SUV's extra! That money can be used for the rail system. Force airlines into working with each other, if a plane isn't full passengers can transfer onto another airline.

Also only two cars per household all other EXTRA vehicles fall under the SUV or "IDIOT" tax.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
this diagram makes me think about how beautiful our planet is, and how disgusting it is to see this oil gushing out and pooping all over our world. oil is filth

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadood

Originally posted by pavil

Originally posted by airspoon
It seems hard to believe that oil could be found that far below the sea floor, given what we know about the stuff. It just seems a little odd, that's all.

--airspoon

Just what I was thinking... how did all that biomass get down that far to eventually turn to oil? How deep is oil usually found???

I'm not going to weigh in on the 'is-it-a-fossil-fuel debate' but basic geology dictates that due to plate tectonics, things are often burried deep in the earth. You do get that LOTS of life dwells in the ocean, too, right?

Actually, organic material needs to be buried at a certain depth in order to be subjected to the pressures and heat necessary to turn it into crude. If it's too shallow, it won't turn into liquid and will just stay as shale. If it's too deep and therefore to hot, it will turn into natural gas. This is how we understand crude oil today. It would seem that this oil deposit should have been mostly natural gas.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jeffrybinladen

i dont think anyone is disagreeing you this.

But you ARE aware that America is 40 times the size of the UK, yes? And half the population lives in rural areas that would be totally infeasabvle to bring mass transit to, yes?

In addition, our entire infrastructure is already built around cheap petrol. You dont go changing that overnight when your entire governmnt is owned by teh oil lobby.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by gaiagirl
reply to post by shauny

There was a recent thread that stated BP tapped into a batholith, a huge reservoir of oil that extends from the gulf all the way up to the northern
US. The oil could gush out FOREVER! The implications of this tragedy are unthinkable.

I have no idea.
maybe someone else can dig it out.

And correct.
this could spill for years or decades..

Also, the picture I posted shows the oil below, it down below, you can see it.
My understanding is that area where the pipe goes into is all oil..

[edit on 27/6/2010 by shauny]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teabags

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
Yep too deep and we kept on drilling all in the name of greed.

I think its more of a case we kept on drilling because the computer you typed that on is not made out of wood....

Get that image of an oil baron greedily wringing his hands together as oil is pumped from the ground out of your head. Oil does more for society than fill the pockets of Earth-wrecking evil-doers.

A change of perspective could do some good.

Oh, the happy stars for that bit makes my faith in humanity swell, like battered ladies
justifying the purple eyes...

How bout they figure out how to contend with this kind of disaster for now, drill elsewhere, focus elsewhere for a bit and then come back when they have the skill
to deal with this kind of disaster?

This kind of logic makes me question the sanity of the entire happy star brigade.

The implications of this have yet to fully develop, yet you want to set the stage to
do it again.

It is sad that I have to point this out... Now if this situation was dealt with in a competent manner, even partial competency...

What I fear brigade is that this is not a logical disconnect on your behalf, Fluoride?
TBI? Investors?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeffrybinladen
America needs a MUCH improved rail system for delivery of goods!

1 Main shipment point in each STATE goods are brought in by rail and trucks distribute these goods within the state NO more need for interstate trucks going from newyork to LA....Also ships can be used in the Lakes region and along coastlines.

That would be a start! Where's the argument against this? You give Israel 250million dollar anti missile defense system? You make plenty of money off oil leasing, plenty of money from taxes, START TRIMMING FAT WITH LAZY GOVT WORKERS....

This is pathetic even as this disaster continues it's like americans are wondering around in the dark not even attempting fuel conservancy.

One thing I also notice in America is military jets flying around?! JP4 is expensive so cut those flights down 30%...You have radar so.....

Limit automobile sizes and Tax SUV's extra! That money can be used for the rail system. Force airlines into working with each other, if a plane isn't full passengers can transfer onto another airline.

Also only two cars per household all other EXTRA vehicles fall under the SUV or "IDIOT" tax.

An rail system will only go to major hubs. After that that goods will still have to be trucked to their final destination. This might help slightly but not to the extent you believe.

As for SUV's paying higher taxes, they already do. Generally an SUV will cost more than a compact car thus more taxes paid at the point of sale. Then when you are filling it up more often than the compact car you are paying more fuel taxes because of the extra fuel used.

The problem is not going to be solved by taxing people more. The government already takes in huge sums of money from taxes. It just mostly gets wasted. Any extra, no matter if they say it will be put towards alternative energy sources, will not. It will go into someones pocket.

The problem of oil dependency can be solved. It's just that there are people who stand to lose a lot of money and will not let it happen.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Well, for one, the US is about 40 times the size of the UK, and about half the population lives in rural areas that generally require. So obviously the comparison you are making is non-sensical.

Obviously, there are far more factors at play, the the subsidized lower price of gas is a major factor in keeping people driving.

But i tire of seeing people try and compare the US (a HUGE country) to tiny little european nations with wonderful public transit infrastructure.

Have you ever BEEN to the US?

There is another reason, and I'm sure our American cousins will put me right if my facts are wrong/

Americans are more reliant on their cars as stated above for reasons of infrastructure and public transport. The question is why?

Why are urban areas so badly serviced with shops etc. that Americans are forced to rely on their vehicles for almost everything?

A little known fact that most non-Americans wont know and will probably find abysmal, any crime or misdemeanour in the states, whether driving related or not can result in having your drivers license taken away from you???

Now there's a control mechanism for you, make the people totaly dependant on something and use the threat of removal to gain cooperation.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
im still amazed that they were poking around in the ground hit a spot where the pressure of oil was so great that they couldnt plug it up.

i cant understand how they didnt expect this to happen? how many tons of pressure are we talking about here. i mean imagine a water balloon that deep underground filled with oil. pop that baby and try to contain the flow. you would assume they had people to work out the physics of how much pressure that oil would be under.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by idmonster

Well, for one, the US is about 40 times the size of the UK, and about half the population lives in rural areas that generally require. So obviously the comparison you are making is non-sensical.

Obviously, there are far more factors at play, the the subsidized lower price of gas is a major factor in keeping people driving.

But i tire of seeing people try and compare the US (a HUGE country) to tiny little european nations with wonderful public transit infrastructure.

Have you ever BEEN to the US?

There is another reason, and I'm sure our American cousins will put me right if my facts are wrong/

Americans are more reliant on their cars as stated above for reasons of infrastructure and public transport. The question is why?

Why are urban areas so badly serviced with shops etc. that Americans are forced to rely on their vehicles for almost everything?

A little known fact that most non-Americans wont know and will probably find abysmal, any crime or misdemeanour in the states, whether driving related or not can result in having your drivers license taken away from you???

Now there's a control mechanism for you, make the people totaly dependant on something and use the threat of removal to gain cooperation.

America has become fat, lazy, and complacent,,,,,,

You can ride a mountain bike at least 20 miles round trip with a backpack for groceries or Americas store "Walmart" which helped ruin the infrastructure by clobbering small business. People can carpool for example if Joe needs a dvd at Walmart and Steve his next door neighbor needs vitamins or detergent "Steve and Joe" can carpool.

Americans can stop living in McMansions with 3 bathrooms and force fake altruism people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet too actually cough up money and not talk about it.

Stop allowing companies like Transocean the ability to locate offshore or in other countries and give preferential treatment for bidding jobs to REAL American companies.

The biggest problem is the FAT OBESE Federal and State Government. Pensions should be eliminated for all workers and force personal retirement options. Lay-off police, firefighters, and force them to work harder. The Police are fat and lazy. In the American village I reside 75% of the police (not sure about FF) are overweight. This is no lie either have been trained too notice this stuff. How these people could ever chase a robber is beyond me. So it's good they have dogs (K9 units) Even with my silly stupid smoking habit JBL could beat probably most of them in a foot race!

The white collar sector of the govt? Lay off 25-35% now restructure impeach Obama and probably have a re-election because this Uncle Joe Biden fellow doesn't seam capable. You need someone like a McKrystal if the Taliban fears him believe me so will the lazy corrupt politicians.

Legalize marijuana, I can buy this stuff anywhere in the USA and the fat police are unable too deal with it so regulate and TAX. Finally begin a process where eventually most SUV's are eliminated and/or 40mpg fuel mandatory.

So with this universal health care how can you pay for this when the people not working for 99 weeks (Walmart helped crearte this btw) are not given extensions???? So now the whole world will see soon what the actual % is on that. My estimate is over 20%.

Illegal immigration STOP IT,,,,,,,,,Families allowed only so many children Enforce it.............If you can't afford children don't have them!

Good evening!

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

Actually, organic material needs to be buried at a certain depth in order to be subjected to the pressures and heat necessary to turn it into crude. If it's too shallow, it won't turn into liquid and will just stay as shale. If it's too deep and therefore to hot, it will turn into natural gas. This is how we understand crude oil today. It would seem that this oil deposit should have been mostly natural gas.

--airspoon

Thanks for the info, I don't claim to be very knowledgable in this area. I had thought the NA plate was moving north-westward, I wouldn't have expected a lot of organic material to be buried there with techtonic action. If that is is the case is there huge amounts of oil and natural gas below most of the oceans surface?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

They use drilling mud to keep the drill hole cool for the bit to go down, but it is also heavy enough to keep the oil under pressure from leaking by. One of the mistakes that caused this whole mess is that some BP management or Trans Ocean, not sure which, told the Deep Horizon operations to stop using the drilling mud and fill the hole with seawater instead...sooooo the seawater injected into the well did not hold the extreme pressure of all the methane gas and oil and BOOM, blow out...

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Great image.

Puts it into a visual perspective that's easy to understand that THEY SHOULDN'T BE GOING DOWN THAT FAR IF THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
i]reply to post by jeffrybinladen

It's apparent that 50% of americans think they don't need the oceans clean

I am truly and utterly disgusted if that is true, Im a surfer and spend most of my life in the ocean and just developed a massive hate towards 50% of your country, (but im guessing that’s not a real stat). So we cool.

How any person or to a lesser extent a corporation can care so little about our natural environment for some money that is mostly code on a computer is beyond me our detachment from the natural world will keep growing till we are extinct, earth will be fine after we are gone it will just grow around our mess. I know this sounds like a greeny rant but if this BP disaster isn’t an eye opener nothing will be. Our governments want to put a tax on carbon because they say its changing our climate, well the climate will always change naturally but this disaster is a hands on, real life disaster, no stats, guess work or predictions, this has F**KED a good portion of the world, I can whine, and moan on ATS and can minimize my environmental impact as much as possible but it is world governments who can implement change like an energy revolution, but what do we get instead a TAX

Weeks of frustration just leaked outta me like BP’s well, but I must say I really feel for the people of the gulf area, Its always the average Joes who cop it the worst, while the people responsible float around the beautiful parts of our world in their yachts..

[edit on 28-6-2010 by deenuu]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by deenuu

hooooooo it's not my country I only attend university here and after this year will probably never return! Just look at how these SUV eco bandits react when i critique them on the nasty petrol habits.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeffrybinladen
reply to post by deenuu

hooooooo it's not my country I only attend university here and after this year will probably never return! Just look at how these SUV eco bandits react when i critique them on the nasty petrol habits.

Most people arnt willing to change their lifestyle, Ive down graded my car, try not to buy plastic bottles, or use plastic bags as I feel like im soaked in oil in every aspect of my life, its gross, but I have bitter arguments with my missus about this, I could live in the bush and have no environmental impact what-so-ever and it wouldnt make any difference to the world, not one bit. World governments have no control of corperations and they going to bleed this world dry and force our extinction if there is no change, as I said this should be a wake up call but I doubt it.

Education is the key we must live with our planet, not alongside it.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by deenuu

It will never be a wake up call for these Americans I have lived here long enough and studied them. The majority of them are eco criminals, the only reason they're not attacking me on ATS as I write this now is because 320AM. When they do attack it happens in packs where 1 eco bandit comes to the aid of another. Yesterday It was a farmer supporting a fat motorist and when I explained because he's a farmer the big trucks were acceptable. That apparently satisfied him. Usually the arguments are YOU USE A COMPUTER ALSO, the car thing they don't throw at me anymore BECAUSE i TELL THEM DONT OWN ONE DONT WANT ONE. The way they make it sound is I don't belong in America because of non-ownership of an auto?!

Sometimes they become so agitated talk of violence and gunplay happens, it's really bizarre my friend. These people are oil junkies and will never leave oil or stop buying cars. Many of them own multiple vehicles also I could go on forever with the lies and untruths I hear all the time but why bother! You cannot remove the stripes from a tiger.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

HA HA I hear ya mate, well hope ya get out of there alive and never shut up, keep at em and maybe someone will listen.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

You cannot remove the stripes from a tiger.

You could if you cover it in oil.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
[qwote]

Have you ever BEEN to the US? [/qwote]

I happen to be a time served mechanic so your trying to argue
that there are no trucks or cars or suv'v in the USA with engines half the
size of the gas guzzlers that have better fuel economy without the
loss of power.smaller cubic capacity does not mean less power.
REMEMBER even BUSH said the US is addicted to oil!
you do not NEED these monster engines
to get around the rural areas. and no i have not been to the USA
but one day i hope to go.

and for the record i am not anti American i love the place/people.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join