It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Scarey Stuff Here** The Deepwater Horizon-How Deep Was It Drilling ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by badBERTHA

Originally posted by airspoon
It seems hard to believe that oil could be found that far below the sea floor, given what we know about the stuff. It just seems a little odd, that's all.

--airspoon

Good point!

How would the bodies of the prehistoric plants/animals and shtuff get way way down there.. ?

A quick google for illustrations of oil deposits, show them a lot closer to the surface e.g.

www.howstuffworks.com...

Vellee interesteeng

Isn't 90 percent of ALL sea-life IS on the sea floor? BP should set some money aside to research in technology for Deep sea-ocean floor oil pumping/drilling base. So they can mine the oil and gas while having a sea-floor base for pumping the stuff out, instead OF having a drilling rig.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Very nice prospective, informative, and simple, even my son understood it. This should be published nationwide by all tv staions and newspapers, this is what we have to do to get to the oil in the ocean, had this been on land it wouldnt have happened. Drill on land, yea i know oil is dirty and kills, but hey, we dont have anything that works as well right now, and until we do, which we should and will, Drill Baby Drill, on land, in the US.
i can already see the responces so save your breath!

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by 1947flxible

I actually agree with you,

The green people stopped alot of the land drilling, and everytime I bring up how sick these people are who drive SUV's around all people do is make fun of it. So Yes drill baby drill and when the Oceans are filled with oil perhaps these idiots will wake up> Just like 911 the message was sent and most of the people in the USA were sleeping again.

I can swim in a fresh water pond (provided oil rain doesn't contaminate) or just take a shower..........It's apparent that 50% of americans think they don't need the oceans clean so we'll just follow that program and see how it works.

Visited dunkin donut for one of those butternut donuts I enjoy and saw 5 suv's 2 trucks and 3 cars in the parking lot.......and this is what's happening now.

If some of these green groups had any toughness they would be torching these monsters right in peoples driveways......

[edit on 26-6-2010 by jeffrybinladen]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
i was aware that the drilling operation was deep but i have no idea it was this deep until i saw the infographic..

s&f

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jeffrybinladen

Because cars and people who use cars have caused the spill?

My god what a crazy bull# to say. But you're right, nature freaks should burn something, that's the only way to lock those crazy bastards behind bars where they belong.

Planet Earth survived so much, so many asteroid impacts, so many errupting volcanoes, earthquakes, tornadoes and whos knows what else. It's not like the planet will die because of a little oil.
People overreact so much, it's not funny. Yeah, it was a bad accident, accidents happen. But it's not like this mean the end of the world.
All should just realize that...in the end, everything will be fine.

And just to piss some nature freaks off, tomorrow i will drive around for fun and maybe even buy some nice fuel at a BP station

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeffrybinladen
reply to post by 1947flxible

I actually agree with you,

The green people stopped alot of the land drilling, and everytime I bring up how sick these people are who drive SUV's around all people do is make fun of it. So Yes drill baby drill and when the Oceans are filled with oil perhaps these idiots will wake up> Just like 911 the message was sent and most of the people in the USA were sleeping again.

I can swim in a fresh water pond (provided oil rain doesn't contaminate) or just take a shower..........It's apparent that 50% of americans think they don't need the oceans clean so we'll just follow that program and see how it works.

Visited dunkin donut for one of those butternut donuts I enjoy and saw 5 suv's 2 trucks and 3 cars in the parking lot.......and this is what's happening now.

If some of these green groups had any toughness they would be torching these monsters right in peoples driveways......

[edit on 26-6-2010 by jeffrybinladen]

It's moronic statements like this that get you made fun of. Do you even realize how many products you use that come from petroleum? But it's only those evil SUV's ruining the planet, right?

First, every car uses gas or diesel. They also use motor oil, transmission oil, power steering oil, bearing grease, chassis grease, brake fluid, etc.... point is even your precious 'green' cars use plenty of oil.

Do you wear any clothes made of synthetic material? ....Oil
Do you buy any products packaged in plastic? .... Oil
Did you paint your house? .... Oil
Do you water your garden with a garden hose? ....Oil
Did you type a stupid statement on the internet today? The computer, keyboard, mouse, monitor, phone lines, etc... all made with components derived from .... Oil
Keep you food cold in a refrigerator?
Put the AC on in the summer?
Heat your house in the winter?
Write nasty letters to BP with a ball point pen?
Use chap stick when your lips are chapped?
Hang your synthetic clothes with a plastic hanger?
Enjoy food from the local grocery store or supermarket? How do you suppose it got there?
Watch some DVDs? Wonder what they are made of? Not to mention the dvd player, tv, cable insulation, remote control, electrical outlet, .....

I could go on with a few more thousand but I hope you get the point.

But yeah, we should torch them evil SUVs in peoples driveways....

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Mmmm- I own THREE HUGE trucks- two M-35's, and an M813, up-armored. Someone tries to burn one of MY trucks, they will be helping my tomato plants grow, the following season. (AFTER being turned into "organic" mulch).
BTW- My trucks, May only get 6-12 MPG- but can carry, 20,000-40,000lbs, EACH, as well as TOW 2X as much. Makes the mpg of a Prius look pathetic. Please- THINK, before you speak. I do NOT waste oil- I use it. As little, as I can.
I also, have an experimental 500 acre peanut field, for making my OWN "diesel fuel". (Fertilized by food garbage).
MOST of the extracted oil, is WASTED, making plastic bags. The REAL money (I'm talking $35,000USD/BBL!!!), is in Pharmaceuticals.
But- hey, greeners, can't be bothered with FACTS!

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Primordial

I use burt bees lipbalm

metal hangers, and so forth in an effort to live sparsely unlike you! You probably use more oil in 1 anum versus me over a lifetime!

and really go ahead with BP you probably filled up at a BP supplied gas station and didn't even know it.......You see it's supply and demand, you demand more oil for the stupid SUV SO therefore you have deep water drilling to satisfy your needs......so it's stupid statements like yours and actions by you that helped create this disaster.

Listen I could care-less now what happens with the well since it's very obvious obese americans such as yourself will never change. Heh I bet you can barely tie your shoelace when it comes un-done at the McDonalds.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

EXCELLENT POINTS!!! Sorry- the "greeners", can't be bothered with FACTS. Of course, not ONE of THEM, has EVER made ANY contribution to societies benefit. It is SOO easy, to just sit and bitch. In complete ignorance.
These people, would be extinct, in a more moral time!

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotgal

Mmmm- I own THREE HUGE trucks- two M-35's, and an M813, up-armored. Someone tries to burn one of MY trucks, they will be helping my tomato plants grow, the following season. (AFTER being turned into "organic" mulch).
BTW- My trucks, May only get 6-12 MPG- but can carry, 20,000-40,000lbs, EACH, as well as TOW 2X as much. Makes the mpg of a Prius look pathetic. Please- THINK, before you speak. I do NOT waste oil- I use it. As little, as I can.
I also, have an experimental 500 acre peanut field, for making my OWN "diesel fuel". (Fertilized by food garbage).
MOST of the extracted oil, is WASTED, making plastic bags. The REAL money (I'm talking $35,000USD/BBL!!!), is in Pharmaceuticals.
But- hey, greeners, can't be bothered with FACTS!

You're a farmer and need the vehicle the other fool is just an Obese american who thinks he's cool driving an suv, there's a big difference NO?

and i'm not a greener I think most of those people are crazy, just making a statement that if they really want attention they should start doing stuff like that. Pouring oil over yourself at a BP gas station or congressional hearing is forgotten the next day. Torching a car lot filled with SUV's or attaching a bomb on SUV's all over America, would not be forgotten. RIGHT?

I'm just trying to give these green people ideas, in order to have a message sink in terror is a very effective weapon.

BTW just wondering how you can make a person mulch when they trigger an explosive device a mile away with a beeper or cheap prepay phone attached to it? You must be Flash Gordon i suppose, and lets say a green person was caught? Are you going to attack a jail and kidnap them?

PLEASE

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Certainly an interesting post. Thank you for the information. Just a note though... they cannot drill too awfly deep. Reason? Because the molten core of the earth will rise to bite them on the lip. lol

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Entropie
Certainly an interesting post. Thank you for the information. Just a note though... they cannot drill too awfly deep. Reason? Because the molten core of the earth will rise to bite them on the lip. lol

How far below IS the molten core, compared with the BP oil drill is at?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

reply to post by Rigel Kent

You forget that Macondo 252 is 5000ft below sea level+ the 35,000 makes it the deepest. But don't worry we'll go far deeper the liberty drill site can push 50,000ft.....hopefully when it kicks and blows they have a back-up drill!

Nope... I didnt forget anything.
I have a copy of the drilling plan and from this I can tell you that
the drilling depth at the Macondo well had reached a total depth of 18,360 feet, with the previous casing shoe at 17,168 feet. The annulus or drill hole was eight and a half inches in diameter, with the Rotary Kelly Bushing (RKB) to Mud line 5,067 feet. The open hole had been logged over a four-day period.

dunno where you get 35 000 from, can you post your source please.

PEACE,
RK

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Listen I could care-less now what happens with the well since it's very obvious obese americans such as yourself will never change. Heh I bet you can barely tie your shoelace when it comes un-done at the McDonalds.

So you agree with Primordial, yet you are arguing with him... and calling him obese.... and assuming he cannot tie this shoelaces when he visits a McDonalds.... Instead of saying “Hey, yeah! I agree with you! I try my hardest too! What else could we do?”

It’s like “I know I am, but what are you” round and round and round and round again....

Not constructive at all...

Do you know Primordial? Cause I doubt you would be that insulting if you knew him personally.. I don’t, but actually visualizing a person at the other end of the screen having a face sometimes helps when you are posting. Just a thought.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by worlds_away]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rigel Kent

reply to post by Rigel Kent

You forget that Macondo 252 is 5000ft below sea level+ the 35,000 makes it the deepest. But don't worry we'll go far deeper the liberty drill site can push 50,000ft.....hopefully when it kicks and blows they have a back-up drill!

Nope... I didnt forget anything.
I have a copy of the drilling plan and from this I can tell you that
the drilling depth at the Macondo well had reached a total depth of 18,360 feet, with the previous casing shoe at 17,168 feet. The annulus or drill hole was eight and a half inches in diameter, with the Rotary Kelly Bushing (RKB) to Mud line 5,067 feet. The open hole had been logged over a four-day period.

dunno where you get 35 000 from, can you post your source please.

PEACE,
RK

I source it from Wiki but as we all know it's user based so the info is always suspect......

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I use burt bees lipbalm

metal hangers, and so forth in an effort to live sparsely unlike you! You probably use more oil in 1 anum versus me over a lifetime!

and really go ahead with BP you probably filled up at a BP supplied gas station and didn't even know it.......You see it's supply and demand, you demand more oil for the stupid SUV SO therefore you have deep water drilling to satisfy your needs......so it's stupid statements like yours and actions by you that helped create this disaster.

That the best you can do? Did I strike a nerve?

We ALL, yes that includes YOU, use products that come from the petroleum industry.
If you think torching someones vehicle in some way helps the problem then, yes, you are a moron.

Get over yourself. It's always someone other than yourself who caused the problem, isn't it? Couldn't dispute anything I said so you resort to unfounded insults? Typical.

I'm just so f******g tired of hearing all the greenies blame 'fat americans' and SUV's for all this when they're too stupid to realize that nearly every product they purchase and use is touched by the petroleum industry in one way or another.

Burt's bees lip balm huh? How did it get to the store you bought it at? Is it in a plastic tube or a cardboard package? How do you suppose those things came into being. Were they made in a factory somewhere? What powers that factory?

Nearly everything you touch today is in one way or another possible because of petroleum.
[edit on 26-6-2010 by Primordial]

[edit on 26-6-2010 by Primordial]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
It really p*sses me off to see people keep mentioning greed as the motivation behind oil production. Its just like some hippie, tree hugging marxist to not understand the most basic concept of economics (supply and demand).

I am going to explain in in terms that even a hippie can understand. If you are on this forum then you have a computer. Get rid of it. Get rid of your prius, or even your bicycle's rubber tires. Rid yourself of your plastic spoons that you stir your gourmet coffee with, also get rid of your coffee or tea, since it had to be shipped here from somewhere else. Don't take any of the drugs that are made in part from petrol chemicals. Turn the electricity off at your house. Get rid of your flip flops.

You see if you remove the demand there will be no profit from the supply.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

reply to post by ~Lucidity

Interesting question,

I'll have to research BP's site perhaps BP is doing the same formula they use estimating reservoir amt's. For instance every time BP logs a strike the claim 50-100 million barrels which makes sense. IF BP was honest about these amounts the price of oil would drop.

Per depth? who knows perhaps Rigel is correct,

The question was depth, I thought.

Well seeing as you're researching this for your report I thought you might want to know the right depths or at least double check your numbers.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by gordonwest

here's the distance

we can't get get anywhere near the core and we can't 'break" the Earth by poking a hole in the upper layer of it's crust or even if we drill down a hundred miles

I say we bomb this this thing shut, the Earth blows bigger holes than this in itself everyday

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Thankyou very much OP, a truly fascinating view.

This is a topic for a different thread, but I'd like to throw it here if anyone has the knowledge base to pick it up and do a thread on it.

The deepest ocean dive was in 1960??? We've not gone deeper since?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join