It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As Jindal Criticized Federal Bureaucracy, Louisiana Guard Troops Sat Idle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

While Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal has been criticizing the administration for allowing red tape to delay spill cleanup efforts, CBS News points out that the governor has not deployed thousands of the National Guard troops available to help. Here’s CBS News:

www.propublica.org...

Way to play the hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you got em...USE EM.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by David9176]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Thanks for the post! I tried to post a thread on this yesterday but my video source of Guard deployment included the suicide of a commercial fisherman that had already been posted.
I think the info on the Guardsmen is pertinent though, so here is some additional info:

First,regarding the first half of video, my condolences to Alan and his family and friends. While I certainly don't know what all was involved with the tragedy, obviously his livelihood, suddenly poisoned and taken away was a big part of it. BP offered to pay his funeral costs.
In the past 2 weeks calls to crisis hotlines have jumped from 400 per day June 7, to 2400 today.
The Federal Government has authorized 17,500 troops for 4 states:
The actual numbers are ordered by Governors of the State, but their seems to be a lack of effort considering the magnitude of the event.
The President urged the Gov's to use all available sources.....

Louisiana - 6000, but only utilizing 1100
Mississippi - 6000, but using only 58
Alabama - 3000, but only using 342
Florida - 2500, but using 97

There are reports that indicate Florida and Alabama want to minimize troop presence for tourism and image purposes. I understand that, perhaps with Alabama and Fla, but Miss and La, no!

Gov Jindall of La was asked why he hasn't utilized the number of troops available and he responded by saying that BP and the Coast Guard were the ones who set the boundaries determining the number of people to be involved.

Adm.Thad Allen, the man put in charge of the response efforts, said Jindall was flat wrong. The Coast Guard said they have no restrictions on Guardsmen numbers. Now, a few days later Jindal changes his statement saying he did not "specifically" ask for more troops to be deployed. HUH??
I can't figure why Jindall would not want all the troops he could get. There must be some political snafu or something.***
What do you guys think? ..

The vid covers GUARD DEPLOYMENT too..

Peace

[edit on 25-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Once again, this is clearly politics being played into a crisis.
We have a lack of coordination at all levels like usual. Isn't FEMA supposed to be the go between agency?
This entire game has been played incorrectly from the start, lack of leadership from the Whitehouse, lack of coordination between the levels of government, people playing the "he said, she said" game, etc.
And add into the fact that we have to have a corporation leading this effort? I am all for capitalism but we shouldn't have to deal with this extra layer of crap even they are the ones responsible for it.
The Whitehouse should have sent somebody to take care of it, as it is charged with by the Constitution. Instead they waited too long and dumped it on the individual states to fend for themselves.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

The Guard will be completely called out when citizens become unruly, take to the streets and begin to demand answers. The Guard will be used to control the rabble and keep order.

It's a brave new world....Welcome to the monkey house.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I also heard Jindal interviewed about this, and the response he gave was there is nothing for them to do. This was a couple of weeks ago. He said they couldn't really do anything without proper equipment, and he was asking for it, but so far, no dice.

If there is not equipment I guess he could send them to the coast with shovels. Any help is better than none.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
What is it exactly you wanted him to do with the National Guard troops?

Please explain yourself.

To clean up or even be around spilled oil,you must have a 40 hour hazmat course.

That is 1 week of classroom.

That is Federal law not state.

Proper use of respirators and how to dispose of the material.

NG soldiers can only be used if a natural disaster takes place.

A spill out in the ocean is not a disaster on land.

Then, other than trying to make a statement about a Republican Governor I don't see the purpose of this thread.

CBS it go to any extreme to make people not think about the incompetent administration.

That includes that Thad Allen guy.

He was the worse Coast Guard Commandant there ever has been.

After his tenure was over he did not retire as usual.

Nobody knew what to do with him.

If everyone thinks Obama is a rock star,this guy thinks he is one too.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

Hello oneolddude, I would like to give my 2 cents on your statements, respectfully so of course:

What is it exactly you wanted him to do with the National Guard troops?
Please explain yourself.

Surely there is some need for manpower in the cleaning effort or management efforts. Would you not agree that every available body could be put to use?

To clean up or even be around spilled oil,you must have a 40 hour hazmat course.

That is 1 week of classroom.

That's 1 week out of 9 weeks this has gone on, seems practical to have people, including Guardsmen, completed the course by now.

NG soldiers can only be used if a natural disaster takes place.
A spill out in the ocean is not a disaster on land.

I believe I read in a few places this incident was called the worst "natural disaster" in American history. Is not the ocean part of nature? Does the incident not affect the land? A hurricane is an ocean event that reaches land and is considered a natural disaster. I had 2 friends in the Guard working in New Orleans after Katrina and they mostly formed a bucket brigade for sand coming in and water going out, while standing waste deep in toxified floodwaters in order to save some of the remaining residents and businesses.

Then, other than trying to make a statement about a Republican Governor I don't see the purpose of this thread.

Now this one is almost offensive because I too don't like partisanship angles on such tragedy and in this case you are the only one in this thread, including it's sources, that pointed out the fact that Jindal is a Republican. Just because someone addresses an official's actions does not automatically mean they are condemning their affiliation. The fact that he is Governor of the State involved is why he is the focus here.
The evidence of Jindal's changing his statement is here also and only leaves questions. This is the point of bringing him up.

I just think something isn't adding up here, specifically with the redirection of blame, responsibility, management and actions between all the agencies and companies involved. It seems to be a cluster f#*^ of denial and lies, opportunity and liabilities, and misdirection.
Peace

[edit on 26-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'm starting to wonder now why no governor in the gulf area has asked the president to declare a National Disaster, something beyond the "national significance" (April) for the oil leak. I see only state levels of declaration of emergency.
The govs ask such requests for natural disasters. Nothing has been done to declare a national emergency or disaster; the BP cleanup fund seems to be as far as it goes for national assistance, along with Coast Guard.

There is nothing else, then, that can be done at the federal level. The oil leak is not a national disaster or emergency at this point. And in reality, there probably is no federal cleanup plan, relying instead on industry written cleanup plans.

Maybe a national declaration would have to assign blame, before relief/compensation would be allowed. Maybe the gulf states do not want blame assigned to BP (or any other company), a major player in their economy.

I guess if the state govt's all along have had their own oil spill plan, then that is all that can be done. That plus clean up done by oil companies (Marine Spill Response Corp).

So in reality, the states relied on the fed govt's oil industry written cleanup plan, plus having their own state plan. And no plan, fed-oil industry or state boom plan in reality works in this case. Period.

The states relied on the oil industry to clean up oil in/on the water and relied on themselves with closer to shore booms. Didn't work.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
What would the National Guard do?

They don't have skimmers to clean the oil off the surface of the Gulf.
(Yet, Obama turned down offers from other countries which wanted to help us by sending these boats.)

The Guard does not have the miles & miles of oil booms.
(Yet, Obama did not allow the stockpiles of these booms to be used.)

The Guard does not have the barges required to dredge and build sand barriers.
(Yet, Obama ordered Louisiana to stop building the barriers.)

There is a plan on the books to burn the oil immediately after a spill.
(Yet, Obama chose to ignore this option also.

The article is nothing but liberal trash spewing garbage in a lame attempt to deflect attention from the gross mishandling by Obama. Judging from his actions or lack there of, one might come to the conclusion that it is more than mishandling or even ignorance. Someone might believe this is his plan. His plan to allow the disaster in order to push his lame environmental agenda.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Jindal has about as much character and backbone as a Louisiana oyster. Don't just stand there bitching about it - DO SOMETHING.

Anything. For the love of God, please...like the Okaloosa County FL officials did or at least tried.

I've said it before and I'm saying it again, besides greed, the one thing this disaster has underscored for me is how beaten down, corralled and controlled we all are.

We suffer collectively from some sort Stockholm syndrome or mental illness that deludes us into the magical thinking that our abusers will somehow save us.

For Jindal, as a Republican who typically condemns big government and shunned the stimulus package for Louisiana citizens, to stand before the camera's and criticize the lack of federal response (though it does suck) - while the State of Louisiana has also failed to respond adequately in anyway - shows just how effed up America really is.

We have become whiny bitches who are content to be subjected to the rewards, punishments and dysfunction of the nanny state rather than exert any real effort or ingenuity of our own.

It's disgusting and I don't know whether to be outraged, sick to my stomach or scared to death.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Its sad that Gov. Jindal had to resort to what appears to be a campaign commercial during a time of crisis in his STATE.

And then to show not utilizing ALL the resources available, and arent those other states 'RED' states?

And not doing enough in their own state?

Yeah, I can see the commercials now. Not exactly a brilliant game plan, just my humble opinion.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Amen Brother!

You're preaching to the Converted here. We are so dumbed down as population, I believe we can be classified as in the Dysfunctional phase of democratic/capitalistic society.

Only hope I see is for some type of public campaign funding scheme, but it has its pitfalls probably also. Haven't given it much thought to be honest.

My eyes are only recently being opened.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I have finally in my mind come to the conclusion that the patient has died, despite the best efforts to save it. The best efforts can only now be in scooping up oil off beaches, as there were no best efforts available anywhere on the planet at the moment the physical disaster started.

It started when greed mixed with risk taking and no common sense or ethics were added:

One area has seen the billions of dollars made by the supmajors invested in new technology to drill deeper and extract oil in harder to reach places, but not in mitigating the risk of a potential catastrophic failure. Hundreds of millions of dollars more have gone toward upgrading old technology: GPS, geology mapping software, sensors, wireless connectivity. Nothing, however, was spent to improve the “tools” used to cleanup oil spills, which were used in Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico in 1979.

Then the mixture is nurtured like some toxins in a petridish:

Wall Street on the Gulf

The entire inept response to this crisis parallels Wall Street’s broken risk management system, with out-to-lunch government oversight that led to the bursting of the superinflated housing bubble of 2008. Like the investment banks, BP’s business model has been based on greed for profits, conducting operations as cheaply—not safely—as possible, with lax regulation that has been so contaminated by lobbyists that they couldn’t police their own industry, with no internal risk management controls in place.

From the same source

Then when the worst happens in the worst place possible, nothing truly can be done to mitigate the effects. This is not some movie scifi experiment gone wrong; this is real life and real destruction and real death:

First, it had to possess the ability to skim oil in a wide range of viscosities. Second, it had to do so without its pump being clogged. Third, it had to do it in high capacity in rough seas. The calm of the laboratory wouldn’t work in the oceans of the world.

The problem with today’s technology for cleaning an oil spill is that they don’t meet any one of those three critical criteria. ...And the wide range of viscosities has proved problematic for collecting oil, as BP and the U.S. government are now learning.
I asked the Euroskimmer inventor what is wrong with today’s oil recovery technology. He said that the Coast Guard’s skimmers are in fact nothing more than cutters towing “booms” and “sleds” with weirs that corral the floating spill at the slower-than-walking speed of 0.75 knots. Once oil is corraled, pumps are inserted to begin the separating process.

“Such old tools can’t possibly keep up with the magnitude of the Gulf blowout or the spreading of a giant oil spill,” he said.

And not when the source of the oil hasn’t been capped yet.

If the gulf states learned anything about how to rebuild their lives after Katrina, they'd better start right now in rebuilding. The difference this time is that there will be no past left over to build on. The part of the planet they came to depend on to live has been changed for the foreseeable future.

Those that made their livelihood from non-polluted water and beaches need to be helped to move on to something else. What that something else will be needs to be figured out, and quickly.

Let there be an investigation and the remedy found so this never happens again, anywhere on this planet. Keep the heat on these corporations, turned up every bit as high to cook them, as once cooked the seafood that no longer exists!

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. The stages of dying. Pointing fingers, praying for miracles is over. We can choose to sit in the chair of depression awhile, but better is to accept what is and move on to the next life.

Keep the heat on, but help these good people of the gulf to make a new life. What ideas are out there now to help them recover? To help them see a future?

How will their fellow state citizens, the ones not on the gulf help them? Can these residents be employed in a new industry, one that deals with the need for new cleanup tech worlwide? Green technology?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
If Gov. Jindal would have deployed the National Guard troops you would have all screamed martial law. Make up your mind. Louisiana is doing its best with whats it been given.

Sincerely from St. Mary Parish

new topics

top topics

join