It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ship Wants to help, can skim 500,000 barrels a day but red tape might block it !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Well each day something new comes out to make you feel even more frustrated ....

NORFOLK, Va. - With no assurances it will be allowed to join the Gulf oil cleanup, a Taiwanese-owned ship billed as the world's largest skimming vessel was preparing to sail Friday evening to the scene of the Deepwater Horizon disaster.

The ship--the length of 3 1/2 football fields and 10 stories high--is designed to collect up to 500,000 barrels of oily water a day through 12 vents on either side of its bow. It docked in Norfolk en route to the Gulf from Portugal, where it was retrofitted to skim the seas. The ship and its crew of 32 were to leave Virginia waters Friday evening.

The owners of the "A Whale" said the ship features a new skimming approach that has never been attempted on such a large scale. They are anxious to put it to its first test in the Gulf.

This monster could gulp oily water at a daily rate that nearly matches the skimming total to date in the Gulf says the article yet by the sound of it there is no certainty it will be put to use and there is all sorts of red tape to wade through before it could be. Unbelievable.

read full article

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Some good news hopefully, 500 000 barrels a day is significant! As for the red tape, *shakes fist*, let's gather all of it up so we can stuff it in the geyser to clog it, then get on with the cleanup!!

Peace

[edit on 25-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This is really good news. It should be deployed immediately, and should not be caught up in bureaucratic red tape. This disaster cannot wait for that kind of crap!

my .02

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
They better let it in!

great post btw and information like this is very helpful even if they need to use smaller vessels to herd like cattle it sounds great!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

I just got to wondering, after it seperates the oil from water, where is it off loaded at????
2nd line.............................

[edit on 6/25/2010 by rangersdad]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Good find here. S&F

Now, just toss the beaurocrats overboard and set sail for the southern tip of Florida. At 1/2 a million barrels a day combined with the skimmers already in place, it could very well keep up with the flow coming out and significantly reduce the damage being done.

Harsh reality though is that the high command in charge of Stalag 21-19 (numeric for U-S) does not want help or to clean it up or anyone from outside their cozy little circlejerking party to be there, clean it up or see what a lowsy job is being done. By design, that ship will likely be turned back home or routed to another spill in another country that truly wants to clean up their environment.

I HATE Politicians.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Just who the hell is blocking this ship and get me some phone numbers.
I'm starting to get very depressed so I don't care whose ass I chew.
Get me the White House I call that SOB personally.
I am sick of this crap. I don't want to go anywhere else. I planned on dying right here where I am and by God I will do just that.

new topics

top topics

join