It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brewing Tropical storm threatens to worsen Florida oil spill disaster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Brewing Tropical storm threatens to worsen Florida oil spill disaster

Th e Examiner has this article today...

There is a desalinization plant near Tampa Bay that provides drinking water to approximately 1.8 million people. Plans on how the city intends to deal with the oil spill in the event of a tropical storm or hurricane could not be confirmed.

YIKES! I never even thought of that!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Which storm is this?

I'm thinking the desalination plant is used to some oil spills, but this is toxic soup.

Maybe this is why Tampa's been the city with the most chatter about evacuation plans.

Remember their newspaper webpage a week or two ago? And I believe yesterday they did do a story on it.

Check out the Senator LeMieux topic too. The federal government appears to be no only nonchalant but purposely stalling. I just posted an article I found while looking up desalination about the Coast Guard stonewalling LA's cleanup efforts.

What are they stalling for? Maybe waiting for this hurricane?

Really getting on board with this now. What is this oil COVERING UP?

Very troubling.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

The Examiner's headline is misleading as there is no "tropical storm" in the Gulf of Mexico at this time. Just the potential for one.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I think it just turned into one. See breaking news threads.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

The area in question is now classified as Tropical Depression One, the first of the season. There is a good chance it will upgrade to Tropical Storm intensity.

The forecast shows it unlikely to affect the oil spill region.
www.nhc.noaa.gov...

But there is another Tropical Wave on the way. 'Tis the season.

[edit on 6/25/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
After the storm passes the Yucatan its anybody's guess as to where it will go. CNN reported today that BP says it needs at least 120 hours to remove personnel and ships.

Things are not looking very good for any of the Gulf - if this storm is strong enough it will bring toxins further inland.

www.stormpulse.com

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

This from the LA Times...

Brewing storm casts a cloud on oil spill response

A low-pressure area brewing on the northeast coast of Honduras and Grand Cayman has a 70% chance of becoming a tropical storm in the next 48 hours, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Computer models show the storm taking one of two possible routes: moving northwest toward the border of Texas and Louisiana, or northeast across the spill toward the Florida Panhandle.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Saw this graphic on the RawStory front page. Now is this real or is someone speculating?

If it's a real projection, I'm starting to find it strange that the first storm of the season is heading straight for the well.

I know, Phage, that it "'tis the season," but it's way to coincidental. Like a magnet's drawing it.

When you click it, you get this story.

reply to post by Phage

Okay, not awake yet...should have clicked your link first. That NOAA projection looks the same.

Day 68

[edit on 26-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
That projection, if it turns out to be accurate, is taking the storm well away from the area of the well, and will bypass most of the slick. Underwater plumes may still be affected, as would the edge of the spill. The well is no where near Texas, or the western side of LA, but is rather much closer to the mouth of the MS river, and the MS gulf coastal area.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
You will see the path path of the hurricanes march eastward throughout the season. By November the systems will be sweeping up the Eastern Seaboard.

This particular one is incredibly far away.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by mike_trivisonno]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

Okay. To me, both the NOAA image I saw on Phage's link and the one I posted look to be heading straight for it. I take it you're using coordinates or something to base your statement on? Or did I miss something?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
What you are seeing is the "Cone of Confusion"

The path of a hurricane can only be reliably predicted for a few days. After that the models begin to diverge wildly, resulting in a huge cone of possible paths for the eye to follow.

The cone we are seeing now is massive and will be revised repeatedly. This thing is way out there now.

And if it does hit the Yucatan, it will be torn to shreds and dump its life-giving water on them.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
It was upgraded to a tropical storm yesterday evening, projections show it tracking either east or west so we really can't say at this point. The thing that worries me most in regards to the spill(-ing) oil is that they will not be able to resume "clean up efforts" for at leat 14 days after anything hit. Its Hurricane season people, if not this one then the next one, they are just gonna keep on coming!

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
What difference does it make the direction that it tracks? Before this season is over, most if not all, will be covered with posion in the Gulf Coast line.
Those images of wild life soaked in it, just a prewarning.
There must be a time one must make a desicion, do I stay or do I go?
I know my answer!

Be Wise!
So you can be Well!

Jesse.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

Okay...cool thanks.

I'm getting confused with all the Alex/hurrican/tropical storm and depression topics. Ugh. Too many.

We miss things and to repeat things when that happens. I guess my OCD about having all things related in one place is getting the better of me.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by Ceriddwen

Okay. To me, both the NOAA image I saw on Phage's link and the one I posted look to be heading straight for it. I take it you're using coordinates or something to base your statement on? Or did I miss something?

Like the other poster stated, the cone can throw someone who isn't used to looking at these things. Even should it veer extremely to the east, following that projection, the eye won't come all that close to the actual site, but would pass over the Grand Isle area and the surrounds. The eye is what causes the storm surge, so if it stays more in the center of the "cone of confusion" (good one), it won't do more than stir up the outer edges of the spill a bit.

The site of the DHorizon is much more to the east, nearer the mouth of the Mississippi River and its surrounding areas.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
We can relax for now,its forecasted to make landfall in Mexico

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sanity Lost

Uhm... It says "brewing" tropical storm...

Sounds rather accurate to me

new topics

top topics

join