It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Darwin was mentally ill

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I'm certain there are many atheists who came to their beliefs on their own, without the help of Darwin, insane or not.

Count me in. Darwin had nothing to do with it.

I was very religious the first half of my life. But - then it dawned on me - I was assimilated.

I did not choose to believe in a god.

The more I thought about - the less sense it made. I find zero basis to believe in a god - an omnipotent being - we are supposed to both love and fear.

I consider myself a Spiritual Humanist - - because I believe their is a Creationist element to our existence. Not a man or god - - but an energy.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
www.scientificamerican.com...

According to Scientific American, depression was not Darwin's only problem.

Inbreeding was much more worrisome to him, and his children were unusually inbred, following generations of intermarriage and his own marriage to his first cousin.

He wrote to the British Parliamentarian John Lubbock in 1870, asking for data collection on inbreeding and the inclusion of it in the British census. Although Mr. Darwin's request was denied, most states today have laws against a marriage like his, between first cousins.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
After reading a lot of responses to this thread I know why the world is the way it is.

We have become spiritually barren and materialistically rich. The problem is that materialism in order to stay happy and not be bored always has to have the bar raised. This is unsustainable. We will finally run out of entertainment and become bored. This is why so many elderly people look so depressed. They ran out of material things to think about and became jaded.

I think we may be heading towards a recycle. before we get so bored and have raised the bar so high in materialistic entertainment the only way to entertain is to throw babies off a roof.

The alarm clock is going off can you here it?

[edit on 26-6-2010 by LoneGunMan]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I consider myself a Spiritual Humanist - - because I believe their is a Creationist element to our existence. Not a man or god - - but an energy.

I own a metaphysical bookstore and have studied most spirituality and have many people like yourself that come to my store.

You said not a man or a God but an energy.

What do you think God is? Of course God is an energy, some call that energy....God.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
This is one of the worst threads on this particular forum in some time. The OP, a forum mod for crying out loud, obviously has no idea that science is peer reviewed. Ideas aren't just accepted, they are tested, and attempts are made to find evidence for them.

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Lets instead take a mentally ill persons word for it that humans came about as a matter of coincidence and that a humans Consciousness does not .

You do know that Alfred Russel Wallace developed the same ideas during the exact same time period, also while in the tropics?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

Originally posted by Annee

I own a metaphysical bookstore and have studied most spirituality and have many people like yourself that come to my store.

You said not a man or a God but an energy.

What do you think God is? Of course God is an energy, some call that energy....God.

I worked for a well known metaphysical publisher.

I don't study anything - - I just am.

I do not use the term god except as a title (not going to explain that here). All are one of the energy consciousness - thought creates.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by dl2one
The words crazy, and mentally ill, are just labels we can stick on people to make them irrelevant... no?

If its an arbitrary label would you then say that the rubber room inmate and the college teacher are of equal qualification to teach?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
I haven't gotten through the entire thread yet, but I had to comment on this. Darwin was actually rather astute by electrocuting himself to cure his depression. Even today electroconvulsive therapy remains to this day as the most effective means of dealing with severe depression.

It is said that nothing that Darwin tried worked.

The only time in his life he was happy was when studying Theology - which he later rejected as a waste of time.

If you're going to call that which makes you happy a waste of time, no amount of self-electocution can help you.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by dl2one
The words crazy, and mentally ill, are just labels we can stick on people to make them irrelevant... no?

If its an arbitrary label would you then say that the rubber room inmate and the college teacher are of equal qualification to teach?

If that rubber room inmate is an expert in his field, and in the cell for a reason unrelated to his field of knowledge, then yes.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
If that rubber room inmate is an expert in his field, and in the cell for a reason unrelated to his field of knowledge, then yes.

I wonder how quickly such an idea would catch on and parents get their childrends teachers from the pool of experts currently residing in a psychiatry. It would be interesting to see how the offer plays out in real life.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

A lot of people have mental conditions, including you and I. Agoraphobia can be very disabling, warranting treatment from within a mental institution. This doesn't affect a persons knowledge. Many professors (world renowned ones) have overcome mental illness to work in prestigious careers.

By your logic, anybody with a mental condition, or a person whom at one point had a mental condition debilitating enough at one point to have been hospitalized, should be immediately disqualified from education, no exceptions.

I'd expect more from a forum moderator. :T

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   

If you have nothing to believe in, this happens. It sucks. I've had it happen to me before. I've seen it happen to my friends.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

It's called life. People go through their ups and downs, looking for purpose, it has less to do with believing in something but assessing self-worth and purpose.

I've been an Agnostic Atheist for most of my life, haven't had any issues with mental illness spreading into my brainy matters.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
By your logic, anybody with a mental condition, or a person whom at one point had a mental condition debilitating enough at one point to have been hospitalized, should be immediately disqualified from education, no exceptions.

Without exceptions? No.

But in looking for the worlds foremost expert on the origins of life I`ll choose some yoga-practicing monk over Darwin any day.

As I showed in the OP the guy firsst rejected happiness and then went looking for a cure for unhappiness - those type of behaviours are signs of advanced imbecility.

edit on by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I think that all people of great vision, who have great ideas and are brave enough to explore those ideas and then tell the world - I think they could all be described as "mentally ill" by more limited and visionless people - which is most people.

Maybe people who follow that vision, and make certain discoveries, then feel utterly depressed because of what they have discovered.

People love to cut down tall poppies.

Personally, I have no problem with both evolution and belief in God existing.

I think it makes sense.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   

His desires to find what he found are irrelevant to his time and peer tested scientific research. If a farmer was out searching to make the best hybrid breed of oranges and inadvertently found the best hybrid breed of tangerines, you really wouldn't say his discovery was invalid due to his initial purpose.

What you managed to do here is made a very elaborate 5 page straw-man argument. Really, I'm impressed.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

Prior to learning of Darwins emotional issues I had always wondered how anyone could possibly come up with the idea of human intelligence having arisen from a chain of coincidences based in matter. What a bizzare notion. Could any sane person assert that as a fact?

So for me, just recently learning that Darwin had severe issues, was a relief.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I was under the impression everyone was mentally ill.

who is actually truly well-adjusted ... there is a disorder for everyone.

link

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zeta Reticulan
I was under the impression everyone was mentally ill.

who is actually truly well-adjusted ... there is a disorder for everyone.

Most people I know are actually well-adjusted. Ive never met anyone who rejects happiness as a waste of time or goes electrocuting himself to feel better.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Yup, like I said, it's a wonderful straw-man to allow you to live in a fairytale land. But hey, that's what ATS is about anyways right? We got God, Lockness Monsters, evil secret societies and alien reptillian human hybrids. Gotta love it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join