It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Facts About Gun Control

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Dr. John Lott presents a lecture on his epic paper at the Doctors for Disaster Preparedness conference.

The paper:

Crime, Deterrence, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handguns
John R. Lott, Jr., David B. Mustard, 1996

Full text can be found here

As time has progressed, Lott's paper has only been proven to be more accurate in its predictions.

The explosive sales of firearms as the citizenry has prepared for the coming gun confiscations has led to decline in crime when historically there should be increases due to the dire economic situation.

Any claims that banning guns is even feasible is outrageous given the fact we have tens of millions of illegal aliens and hundreds of billions in narcotics in this country, all of which comes from outside our borders.

If the government can't prevent aliens and drugs from coming in, they certainly will not be able to prevent guns.

One needs to only look at Afghanistan to see that even in a third world country run by goat herders with the entire force of the US military securing its borders, guns are ubiquitous.

Lott is right.

More guns = less crime.

If you are interested in more real facts about healthcare instead of government lies, look no further:
fascistsoup.com...

[edit on 25-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
S&F

I completely agree, if a potential thief or murderer know that you have a gun and are willing to use it, they will be less likely to go through with their plans knowing there could be a gun with a person who hates criminals waiting for them.

Keeping law biding citizens from having guns is just stupid. They follow the law, so they have the right to bear arms.

SM

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

More guns = less crime.

I'm picking up what your laying down, but I think this statement needs to be clarified.

Crime..... lots of things are crimes. Too many things. Crime is out of control, because dammnear anything can be a crime. One can commit a crime by doing nothing (taxes). One can commit a crime by medicating themselves or using a substance for recreation. One can commit a crime copying digital information. Crime is not the right word for this statement.

More guns.... depends on who has them. If the government had less guns and less ability to support the war on black and gray market goods then crime would definitely fall as enforcing irrational laws will not be an option. The laws themselves will either be taken out, or completely ignored by all parties. If a organization is using their guns to control guns, then more is probably bad for the rest of us.

Lemme try to revise this statement as to reflect my concerns.

More guns in the hands of rational individuals=less initiation of violence

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Of course the State itself is a criminal institution.

I suppose we must define crime then as you suggest. This is simple enough to do.

Crime is a violation of property rights.

Period.

"Property" to include one's person as part of the definition.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
O thank god a pro gun person here. i thought i was all by myself here at ATS. your facts are spot on! great job and lets get the word out that people kill people not guns kill people. With the right safty course everyone can handle guns properly and not be scared of them.

Ive been around guns my whole life and was shown at an early age " if you play with this guns here you will go bye bye for ever and never see me or mommy again." that has stuck in my mind since i was 5.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by camaro68ss]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I am convinced the liberal infestation is a product of paid propaganda agents.

You are not alone.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Many people on ATS like guns. Many people don't like them, but also think they are necessary for a free people.

I own guns. I do enjoy shooting them. I don't collect them as some do, but I have something in most basic categories.

Assault Rifle AK-47 (EOTech), Pistol HK USP .45, Long Range Rifle Remington Model 700, Remington 870 for my shotgun, and a few odds and ends I got handed down to me including a Derringer, Enfield, and a single shot Shot-pistol.

The zombies won't bloody well shoot themselves.

I guess I do have a lot, but if any of you know any real gun-nuts, I don't have a thing. And I have only personally bought the AK and the USP... the rest were gifts.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DINSTAAR

Many people on ATS like guns. Many people don't like them, but also think they are necessary for a free people.

I own guns. I do enjoy shooting them. I don't collect them as some do, but I have something in most basic categories.

Assault Rifle AK-47 (EOTech), Pistol HK USP .45, Long Range Rifle Remington Model 700, Remington 870 for my shotgun, and a few odds and ends I got handed down to me including a Derringer, Enfield, and a single shot Shot-pistol.

The zombies won't bloody well shoot themselves.

I guess I do have a lot, but if any of you know any real gun-nuts, I don't have a thing. And I have only personally bought the AK and the USP... the rest were gifts.

Nice, I myself have a AR-15 i bought about a month ago, Glock .45, 20G shotgun and 3 .22 rifles. my next by is going to be a .308 bolt action rifle. i love my guns! shot them every weekend at the ranch

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I was reading about Operation Falconyesterday.

It's a I'm guessing annual at this point, round up of fugitives across the U.S. by the US Marshals.

In all 3 of the round ups they captured about 30,000 fugitives, but only around 600 firearms.

Falcon I: 10,340 fugitives, 243 firearms
Falcon II: 9,037 fugitives, 111 firearms
Falcon III: 10,773 fugitives, 232 firearms

Interesting statistics when they have you believe only the bad guys have guns.

Operation FALCON

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Guns don't kill people,
Chuck Norris kills people!
Sorry, I had to.

Great video.
Was it Jefferson who said that an armed society is a civil society?

I believe anyone who is not a convicted felon should be able to own a handgun or shotgun.
AK-47s, Uzis, missle launchers, & high powered assault rifles should be banned. These types of weapons are truly designed for hunting humans. I grew up around hunters & none of them ever went into the woods after deer with a machine gun.

When I decided to arm myself, I obtained my CWP first, then went to purchase the handgun. Much smoother doing it this way since I didn't have to go through the 3 day waiting period required in my state.
If you're planning on traveling with your firearm, be sure to get a book with each state's laws & keep it in your vehicle. You can get these manuals at any gun supply shop & firing range.

Always remember to respect the weapon & walk with confidence.
Keep in mind that having to use the gun should be your last resort. Simply using good posture & keeping eye contact with those around you will help you from being a victim, too.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
Guns don't kill people,
Chuck Norris kills people!
Sorry, I had to.

Great video.
Was it Jefferson who said that an armed society is a civil society?

I believe anyone who is not a convicted felon should be able to own a handgun or shotgun.
AK-47s, Uzis, missle launchers, & high powered assault rifles should be banned. These types of weapons are truly designed for hunting humans. I grew up around hunters & none of them ever went into the woods after deer with a machine gun.

When I decided to arm myself, I obtained my CWP first, then went to purchase the handgun. Much smoother doing it this way since I didn't have to go through the 3 day waiting period required in my state.
If you're planning on traveling with your firearm, be sure to get a book with each state's laws & keep it in your vehicle. You can get these manuals at any gun supply shop & firing range.

Always remember to respect the weapon & walk with confidence.
Keep in mind that having to use the gun should be your last resort. Simply using good posture & keeping eye contact with those around you will help you from being a victim, too.

The 2nd amendment wasn't put in the Constitution to protect hunters.

It was put there to protect us from government.

Thus, the citizens should be able to arm themselves exactly as our military does.

Our nation was not intended to have a standing army at all.

The citizens were to arm themselves and act as the army.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
"Whenever governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the
people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an
army upon their ruins."

Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts, spoken during floor debate
over the Second Amendment, I Annals of Congress at 750, August 17,

"Whenever people ... entrust the defense of their country to a regular,
standing army, composed of mercenaries, the power of that country will
remain under the direction of the most wealthy citizens..."

"A Framer", in the Independent Gazetteer, 1791

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they
are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America
cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole of the people
are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular
troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States."

Noah Webster, "An Examination into the leading Principles of the
Federal Constitution." in Paul Ford, ed., Pamphlets on the
Constitution of the United States , at 56 (New York, 1888).

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation
that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the
difference between having our arms in possession and under our
direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our
defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they
be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own
hands?"

Patrick Henry, 3 J. Elliot, Debates in the Several State
Conventions 45, 2d Ed. Philadelphia, 1836.

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States)
assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise
it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times
armed and that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of
religion, freedom of property, and freedom of press."

Thomas Jefferson

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

AK-47s, Uzis, missle launchers, & high powered assault rifles should be banned.

The whole stigma of assault rifles is silly. The entire idea of a difference between an assault rifle and a regular rifle is based on appearance. Example: compare an AK-47 and an SKS. Same gun essentially, but the SKS is wooden. Both can fire full auto.

The whole 'High powered' thing is messed up to. An AK-47 is a high-powered rifle if you compare it to a pistol or nothing. But compare that to an R700 and most R700 are chambered in rounds much more killy (yes, thats a word). With an R700, I could snipe someone from a LOOOOOOOOONG distance. The military uses it. All the while it is a very common rifle for hunting and pest control. Mine was used to kill coyotes on a free range chicken farm.

Ever hear of moose? or bears? You will have a little trouble protecting your family from one of those with a Glock 9mm.

The fact is, pistols are the most dangerous type of gun in the USA. Especially the small, low powered ones.

edit: wrote mouse instead of moose.... not that desired effect.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by DINSTAAR]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DINSTAAR

AK-47s, Uzis, missle launchers, & high powered assault rifles should be banned.

The whole stigma of assault rifles is silly. The entire idea of a difference between an assault rifle and a regular rifle is based on appearance. Example: compare an AK-47 and an SKS. Same gun essentially, but the SKS is wooden. Both can fire full auto.

The whole 'High powered' thing is messed up to. An AK-47 is a high-powered rifle if you compare it to a pistol or nothing. But compare that to an R700 and most R700 are chambered in rounds much more killy (yes, thats a word). With an R700, I could snipe someone from a LOOOOOOOOONG distance. The military uses it. All the while it is a very common rifle for hunting and pest control. Mine was used to kill coyotes on a free range chicken farm.

Ever hear of moose? or bears? You will have a little trouble protecting your family from one of those with a Glock 9mm.

The fact is, pistols are the most dangerous type of gun in the USA. Especially the small, low powered ones.

edit: wrote mouse instead of moose.... not that desired effect.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by DINSTAAR]

I totaly agree, please find me a atrical that shows the last time someone was killed with a .50 cal in the united states or a AK-47, AR-15, or any type of high powered round? most deaths are from your small 9 mm, 40, 45 round. but these still should not be band. the subject is baning high powered guns. less people get killed with high power guns then small power guns. it might be because a high powered gun cost alot more and there rounds do too.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

less people get killed with high powered guns because you can't conceal them.

you can't walk around downtown with a machine gun down your pants.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

less people get killed with high powered guns because you can't conceal them.

you can't walk around downtown with a machine gun down your pants.

i know where your getting at but actualy in california where i live i can walk down the street with my rifle in hand as long as its not loaded i can even hide it. i can also carry rounds with me as long as its not attached to the gun or chambered.

A hand gun i can openly carry it as long as its not loaded and have ammo on me but the moment i hide it im braking the law.

its funny walking in to taco bell straping my glock .45 and notice how much nicer people are to you. lol the snikers in the background. " look he has a gun!" lol good times

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Yeah, but you're not a gang banger with a felony record.

They can't do that.

Hence, they conceal the weapon.

Hence, why long guns are rarely used in murders.

The police know who the repeat scumbags are.

As Lott points out, almost all murders are committed by them.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

See your are in Columbus as I am too. Where did you pick up an Enfield? How much was it? What is that like to shoot? I love the old rifles.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamherefornow

Enfields are almost as cool as Mausers.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
John Stossel: More Guns Less Crime

Watch the full show here:
www.youtube.com...

Part 1 here:

top topics