It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Storm system may slam Gulf, BP cleanup sites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

NEW ORLEANS - Beleaguered officials in New Orleans are now bracing for a tropical storm that could descend on the Gulf of Mexico within the next 48 hours and delay oil spill recovery efforts in the area.

The National Hurricane Center said Friday morning that there is a 70 percent chance that a low-pressure area now developing over the western Caribbean Sea may pick up steam and head toward the Gulf, where oil facilities are clustered and BP continues to fight back the oil spill.

Coast Guard officials told NBC News that they will likely need to remove people from rigs if the storm develops and moves toward south Louisiana -- a process that they would need to begin five days before the storm would hit land.

SOURCE

Looks like it's getting ready to get really nasty in the gulf. I wonder if this will give us a taste of just how large of an impact a storm will have on spreading the oil and despersants. Personally I think the impact will be much less than what everyone is fearing.....but then again, I'm no scientist.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by KILL_DOGG]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I'm gonna have to get outta dodge soon, it seems

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by The Dutch

I feel for ya brother (or sister). I just got back from the gulf on vacation and it kills me to think that all of that beautiful coast might get ruined. Not to mention the possibility of all the displaced people if it gets really bad.

Good luck, man.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'm a brah.

Unfortunately, I can't do sh*t myself, b/c I still live with my family. And they believe NOTHING unless it's broadcasted on a major news network first. As far as they're concerned, if CNN doesn't say it, it's not fact.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Please listen im trying to help those in the area here when i say,
"start storing water NOW"! those of you in the area really want to listen to me here. Im not taking the piss. Seriously.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Well said, I concur. Start storing water... Yesterday.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
NOAA Forecast

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

1. SATELLITE IMAGES AND SURFACE OBSERVATIONS INDICATE THAT THE LOW PRESSURE AREA BETWEEN THE NORTHERN COAST OF HONDURAS AND GRAND CAYMAN HAS BECOME BETTER ORGANIZED TODAY. AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE PLANE IS CURRENTLY APPROACHING THE SYSTEM TO DETERMINE IF A TROPICAL DEPRESSION HAS FORMED. REGARDLESS... UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE BECOMING MORE CONDUCIVE FOR DEVELOPMENT AND A TROPICAL DEPRESSION WILL LIKELY FORM AT ANY TIME LATER TODAY OR SATURDAY. THERE IS A HIGH CHANCE...80 PERCENT...OF THIS SYSTEM BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS. THIS SYSTEM...ACCOMPANIED BY HEAVY RAINS AND GUSTY WINDS...IS FORECAST TO MOVE SLOWLY TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST AND REACH THE YUCATAN PENINSULA IN A DAY OR TWO. ALL INTERESTS IN THE NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA AND YUCATAN SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM.

new topics

top topics

join