It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warrant for my Arrest, Police refuse to detain me?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

The thing is if you had just shown up in 208 with proof of insurance, and a letter saying you had insurance on the day the ticket was issued, the DA or ADA probably would have dismissed the case. At the worst you might have had to pay $250

Instead you skipped your court date and did not attempt to handle things for two years. You messed up and now you just have to pay the consequences. It isn't extoriton. You messed up and failed to handle it in a timely manner. They owe you no special treatment. You put your family in this situation.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

The car I was driving did have insurance, but I could not find the paperwork. I contacted the local court of the municipality, and they state I need to pay $750 and the hold that has been placed on my license will be dropped, along with the warrant.

If you can prove you were insured that day, you need copies of that proof and take it with you to the court house and demand to see the judge.

They will give you a court time to see him, BE NICE! If you bring up extortion, your going to end up with contempt charges trust me!

You must be on your best behavior, acting differently is not going to help you right?

Again if you were insured, the judge should drop the issue no problem.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

nstead you skipped your court date and did not attempt to handle things for two years. You messed up and now you just have to pay the consequences. It isn't extoriton. You messed up and failed to handle it in a timely manner. They owe you no special treatment. You put your family in this situation.

Hey Mike,

I totally agree!! Thats the problem, I turned myself in, to be punished.

They refused! They wouldn't even book me, or read me my rights. They said to come by on Monday, and the Judge will make you pay the fine, or the Hold will not be removed.

I am willing and able to do any time for this transgression of the law, I am turning myself in. I am at the mercy of the courts decision.

Will they not let me work off my 'debt to society' in a manner that benefits the community?

The only Retribution is CASH?

I am trying to claim responsibility for my actions, and they won't let me.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
It looks like you will have to pay them the money. It's a racket.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

Look in the yellow pages for a local public defender and see what he can do for you.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Just wear a "Who the F**K is Kanye West" t-shirt and all these nay-sayers will applaud you man... It's the groovy thing to do!

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

I posted before reading the whole thread. I think you're taking the right approach. I hate that they won't work with you on the $250. It sems like they could let you serve thirty days by doing a series of friday night to sunday night stays in the county jail. They let a friend of mine do that for a DUI.

Talk to the judge personally or the ADA. I still don't see it as extortion but they should be willing to work with you if you have proven you had insurance. At least you get a payment plan. Maybe collecting cans or mowing lawns is a way to go.

Sorry if my original post was too heavy handed. I've just been dealing with a lot of "its not my fault" types lately. It seems there is a disease spreading that causes people to think breaking the rules they agree too shouldn't have consequences.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by MikeNice81]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

An apt expression on the postcard.

Some people do not wish to see the reality for what it is. The 'I reject your reality, and substitute my own' crowd.

I just had to vent my anger, inside knowing that in the end, I will succumb, for I have no resources.

And that is also my fault(no resources), but it dosent change the fact that I am indigent right now.

I feel like they are kicking me while I am down, I am not asking for a handout, just a hand.

And they give me the boot. The saying goes 'They promise you an elevator ride, but all you get is the SHAFT!'.

Welcome to the Suck.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by theability

If you can prove you were insured that day, you need copies of that proof and take it with you to the court house and demand to see the judge. They will give you a court time to see him, BE NICE! If you bring up extortion, your going to end up with contempt charges trust me! You must be on your best behavior, acting differently is not going to help you right? Again if you were insured, the judge should drop the issue no problem.

Yes, absolutely, I agree. You get what you give, and I was utilizing my 'interpersonal skills' that I have accrued through the years.

And I did almost lose it when he said I would have to pay no matter what my situation. The word Extortion slipped past my lips before I could catch them with my tongue and bring it back!

I only call an officer 'Sir' or "ma'am", have been since I was 18. I worked in Law Enforcement for 8 years (still have my badge!), and my brother is a cop. I give them nothing but respect.

I do have problem with certain 'Your Honors' who use the system for their own gain.

But that officer was already angry when he came out to talk to me. His ears and cheeks were all red. I didn't notice til after minute taking to him, but his mind is set already.

Out here in Texas, the 'Good 'ole boys' still roam free, and I am smart enough to know already when I'm up against it.

To him I was just some little Mexican. And I do feel I have to mention, I ain't Mexican. But this IS Texas, welcome to 1954.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

Out here in Texas, the 'Good 'ole boys' still roam free, and I am smart enough to know already when I'm up against it.

I do understand Texas I live next to UT in Austin. So I can relate to your woes.

But if you have proof of the insurance, go request to see the judge. SHOW THE DESK OFFICER you insurance and they will "hopefully" help you clear it up.

Hopefully,

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by theability

Well, going by what the Officer said, they take off the No Insurance charge, no problem.

But the Failure To Appear will be $250, end of story. See the Judge to make payment arraignments, no matter if your homeless or whatever.

I just wanted to turn myself in and get it off my license so I can get a job, and take responsibility for my 'crime'.

They wouldn't let me.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

But the Failure To Appear will be $250, end of story. See the Judge to make payment arraignments, no matter if your homeless or whatever.

That is your own fault right? This wouldn't have be happening if you'd shown.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redwookieaz
reply to post by richierich

Don't mean to derail this thread for the OP but I wanted to add something in reference to what you posted above. Insurance is a racket! They paid enough politicians via lobbyists etc to make it mandatory to carry insurance and that is basically the same racket they are doing now with health insurance. It used to be the case you bought insurance if YOU wanted it to cover your OWN car for damages caused in an accident! If you chose not to have insurance then that was your choice. You were on your own if your car was damaged but you didn't have to have it. Somewhere along the line they convinced all the sheeple that it's to save others from you! Dumbest bunch of criminal BS I've ever heard!

Get a clue people! It's just another corporate criminal syndicate!

[edit on 25-6-2010 by Redwookieaz]

To add on to this post. Insurance was NOT required by the states but like the poster above stated. The Insurance companies lobbied and were able to "payoff" lets call it what it is a payoff to the law makers to FORCE the states into mandating by states law insurance on auto's. This law stated that if states did not make it mandatory that drivers carry minimum auto insurance that the federal government would withhold federal funding for roads and state projects. That my friend is the ONLY reason states mandate insurance. The people on this board who are in the insurance field can lie and twist this all they want to say it didn't happen that way but they too have a stake in this law $$$$$$$$...

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tsloan

but they too have a stake in this law $$$$$$$$...

And that is the bottom line, literally!

Its all about the Benjamins. Not about what your RIGHTS are, but about how much $$$ you got.

I'm broke, does it make me a leper? I've worked since I was 14, bought a house, got a divorce. It happens.

But I don't have what they want -$$$- so, oh well, come back when you got cash bitch.

No cash, no rights.

Only in America. The Capitalism of your Rights.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErEhWoN
reply to post by DrJay1975

Hello there Dr. You've made some assumptions there, let me set you straight.

Honestly if you had insurance, I'm doubting you did, no offense, then prove it in court, you obviously have a court date scheduled. If you don't appeal it. But prove you had insurance and the FTA will most likely go away.

The proof of Insurance was faxed on Friday, I still owe $250 for the failure to appear. I will work for this fine, they wont let me. The officer on duty stated I will be givin a payment plan and the HOLD (not Suspension) will not be removed until I pay, period.

My honest opinion is you deserve whatever you get. YOu were lazy and stupid. The cop wrote you a ticket cause you couldn't prove you had insurance. YOu skipped on court when you could prove your innocense(so you say). But you skip it and get a FTA. And your griping cause they suspended you license? It's your fault. And you have to show up for a FTA offense, you must go to court.. So they can't just drop it because you paid the other ticket. Besides to even consider paying it if your in the right is more foolish than skipping court.

It is my fault, I am not denying fault. Arrest me if you have a warrant for my arrest.

I was stupid and lazy, haul my ass off to jail. Give me community service. They said no way, just pay. I am GUILTY as charged, and they refuse to let do my time!!

And heres a secret. If your lying about something and are griping because you just can't pay the fine that you deserve, you don't need your hazmat cert to not be broke. YOu don't have a job so your collecting unemployment most likely. WHy don't you go get a day job at Wendy's and a night job at McDonalds? Take a bike, the bus or walk to work. 2 weeks and you cn pay your fine.

I have been unemployed for about a year, and have not collected one cent from unemployment. Theres not a Wendys nearby, but I have applied at McDonalds, Taco Bell, Wal-mart. All within walking distance. No job still, but thanks for that advice.

You can't take care of your family because you can't get your cdl back? Then how have you been taking care of them? Are you to good to work a menial job to provide for your family? YOu must be a friggin democrat. Pathetic. YOur making excuses rather than busting your butt and doing whatever you need to do to provide for your family. I have no use for people like you. Maybe you could illegaly immigrate to Mexico.

I have been taking care of them by cooking and cleaning. My wife was working, but has been laid off. Happens to anybody. I am an Independent, voted Republican twice, saw the error of my ways, voted Dem last time.

You must be a friggin Republican. The world has no use for you or your kind. And by your kind, I do mean the mentality that shows when you take a picture at the audience of the Rep Nat Conv and the Dem nat conv. Hold them side to side and you see a certain lack of diversity.

I wont move to Mexico, but am seriously considering a move above the Mason-Dixon line, towards civilization.

The court should be doing what is good for Society, not whats good for the coffers of the local municipality. Just my opinion.

And thank you for your criticism.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by ErEhWoN]

Why should you be allowed to create your own punishment? It's meant to create a hardship, to encourage you not to break the law. If I was a judge I wouldn't give you community service, because thats what you want. There job isn't to make it easy on you, it's to bust your arse so you don't do it again. I haven't even heard anything that I would consider an unfair punishment.

I don't believe you can't get a menial job or 2 to support your family. I'm sorry but there is work out there for people that want it. It may not be the job you want but oh well.

As far as the world having no use for me or my kind, is that the tax paying, law abiding, hard working, take care of your family and honorably served our country crowd? I know the government wants us gone but I think that there is a use for us.

And they are doing what's good for society. Punishing a criminal. Not giving him an easy way off the hook. You got a ticket and you didn't show up for court. What was good for the municipality and society was to punish someone who ditched his summons. And with a CDL you should have to jump through extra hoops. But it isn't like they've been unfair to you. You got a ticket which had a mandatory court appearance that you could have had easily cleared and dismissed with one piece of paper. You were lazy and skipped it. They took your license. Fined you. THey are still willing to work with you, but you keep griping.

Flip a burger, dig a ditch, cut some grass. It's a $250 fine that you deserve. YOu probably should get worse for letting it go this long. I'm not a republican or a democrat. I'm just a conservative guy that is sick of the whining. In a year, you couldn't find some menial job? Or 2? I don't believe you were looking real hard for one then. Unemployment is about 8% in Texas. They were paying over $1000 per week + per diem for the oil spill cleanup, still are. I live in Louisiana. They are hiring tons of people still for the cleanup. There's jobs if you want them. Stop being lazy and expecting the judge to give you a handout(community service). Bust your butt and make something happen for your family.

THe only reason that you are in your present situation is because you are lazy and didn't go to court. Stop blaming the officer, the city and the judge. Take responsibility for your failure and do something constructive about it. Go scrape oil off pelicans and pay your fine.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

Why should you be allowed to create your own punishment? It's meant to create a hardship, to encourage you not to break the law. If I was a judge I wouldn't give you community service, because thats what you want. There job isn't to make it easy on you, it's to bust your arse so you don't do it again. I haven't even heard anything that I would consider an unfair punishment.

I am not asking to create my own punishment, only that the court consider mitigating circumstances. That they will not consider mitigating circumstances is what I consider unfair.

And they are doing what's good for society. Punishing a criminal. Not giving him an easy way off the hook. You got a ticket and you didn't show up for court.

They did not punish me, they told me come back on Monday. I came to be punished, they sent me away. Keeping my license on hold is punishing my family. I would take twenty lashes to back for my punishment. Leave my family out of this. They only want $$$. Shameful, to be honest.

What was good for the municipality and society was to punish someone who ditched his summons. And with a CDL you should have to jump through extra hoops.

They wont punish me, they want me to pay. If they wanted to punish me, they would throw my ass in jail. Why can't I get arrested?

They took your license. Fined you. THey are still willing to work with you, but you keep griping.

I still have my license, and in fact have been pulled over (twice) while having this FTA on my file. I just can't renew it. There is a difference.

Flip a burger, dig a ditch, cut some grass. It's a $250 fine that you deserve. YOu probably should get worse for letting it go this long.

As I said, tried the burger/walmart apps, no luck. Probably because they do background checks, go figure. Tried digging a ditch, for $50. couldn't do it. I have several herniated disks in my back, and Advil had ruined my stomach. Manual labor is not an option at this point. But I did try.

And I do deserve worse, to teach me lesson. They wont do it because they just want the $$$.

THe only reason that you are in your present situation is because you are lazy and didn't go to court. Stop blaming the officer, the city and the judge. Take responsibility for your failure and do something constructive about it. Go scrape oil off pelicans and pay your fine.

Herniated disks dont let you pick up oil all day, but I have done manual labor for over 20 years. My body won't let me do the work I enjoy anymore, so I should be punished for that?

As I stated, I went there to take DIRECT RESPONSIBILITY for may actions, they refused.

When they book me, they have to read me my rights. When they get to the part about 'if you cant afford an atty, bet your bottom dollar I'm going to ask for one and clam up.

Even if you have no money, you still have rights. No matter what the color of your skin.

I just know they are going to flip when I do this and try to coerce me to change my mind. But unfortunately for them, I know my rights. Thats why I am proud to be an American, the rights are there for us to use.

I know its difficult to see when something doesnt fit inside the perfect conservative box, but thats why I put this in the Gray Area.

And thanx for your criticism.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by ErEhWoN]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Interesting thread. Since when do we need to carry proof of insurance anymore? GEICO told me that all police officers have to do is "run your plate number"... and all that info comes up. Who owns it, address, when and where it's registered, whether it was inspected, and if the insurance is expired or not.

Not only that but all the info about "you" comes up. Whether you've had warnings, tickets, been arrested, and what you was arrested for.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sodakota

yes, and here in Texas they are supposed to have access to a hands free system, where the database is automatically queried by a computer connected to a camera in the police car.

But I just want to do the time, I admit the crime. They wont let me.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Hey OP, I am pretty sure that it is only illegal to NOT have your car insured. It is not, however, illegal to happen to not have proof of insurance on you when you get pulled over.

Due to the fact you don't have the proof on hand, the officer will assume that you don't have insurance and write you a ticket. This can be solved by contacting the court PRIOR to your court date and setting up a way for them to receive your proof of insurance. They should drop the charge and fine.

But because you failed to appear... I am really not quite sure now. Not showing up for court is asking for trouble. Even if your case somehow was appealed to a higher court and you could somehow fight it, there is little chance they would overlook what they would refer to as your "negligence" since you failed to show up to begin with.

You can't procrastinate with the man even though they like to take their sweet time. Maybe they are trying to teach you a lesson in an unorthodox manner. I'm not saying they are right, but I'm sure if this was handled to begin with you wouldn't be having these difficulties.

Either way, they should just be able to run your plate and know your provider. Cops are just a pain in the ass.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by XtheMasque]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by XtheMasque

But because you failed to appear... I am really not quite sure now. Not showing up for court is asking for trouble. Even if your case somehow was appealed to a higher court and you could somehow fight it, there is little chance they would overlook what they would refer to as your "negligence" since you failed to show up to begin with.

Yes, I am in trouble. I am guilty. I won't fight. Take me to jail.

Thats the problem. They won't punish me. They only want me to pay. Thats not punishment enough, its like a bill.

I am liable not to learn my lesson, might even make the same mistake again if I don't learn my lesson.

They just want my money. I am willing and able to be punished, but they refused. Come back when you have cash.

If you are poor, you cannot be be punished until you have money?

Is this discrimination against the poor?

I KNOW I did wrong, punish me!!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join