It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warrant for my Arrest, Police refuse to detain me?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOMALY502

But where would the compensation come from with no insurance...?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by richierich
Sorry, but I personally have ZERO sympathy for anyone that failes to keep auto insurance. If you had wrecked your car it could be a nightmare for the innocent party. Unless your state demands uninsured drivers insurance...which I have to pay extras for to cover people like you..then the poor sap you run into is screwed.

If you can afford gasoline and oil, you can afford insurance..AND pay your fine. Being indigent is NO excuse...When I was indigent many years ago I WALKED to a job and saved until I could get a car..and then paid all the fees and insurance and crap to be able to drive it.

Driving is a PRIVILEGE, NOT A RIGHT. You must pay insurance and taxes and inspection fees and pay for the drivers license, etc. If you do not pay, then you do not drive.

I hate the thought of someone getting away with not paying when I have to. You deserve the ticket, and i hope they hold you up until you pay it off.

It is not like anyone is keeping you from walking or hitching rides...or whatever people do that have screwed up their driving privilges...they are NOT stopping you from working, just from getting away with a violation...why should YOU get to escape with no penalty? We all have to take responsibility, and if you want to make things right, you should pay the fine and then make sure you do not mess up again...but the issue is YOU, not the system.

You should take the time to re-read what the OP said. He said that he had insurance, but did not have the paperwork in the car. This is a case of extortion and nothing else.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
To the OP, how can you not get the paperwork? You can't just ask your insurance company to email/snail mail you your old paperwork (assuming that you really did have insurance)?

They keep that kind of thing on file.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Interesting how different states run their rules and regulations regarding speeding, failure to provide prof of insurance and driver licenses different.

While what put the OP in trouble was just the failure to appear in court, I have to say that whatever is coming after that sound like a bad soup opera, and yes they can hold that license as long as they can.

My daughter last accident she fail to provide insurance and license as she didn't had any paper work with her at the time.

All she got was a 15 dollar ticket that she paid on line even when the officer told her that if she went to the court house and show her license and insurance she didn't have to pay anything.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by richierich

I hate the thought of someone getting away with not paying when I have to. You deserve the ticket, and i hope they hold you up until you pay it off.

Pretty sad, yet awful typical conditioning, questions of real wrong and right go out the window as people then choose to make there response all about them, and the if “I have to, you have too to”.

The reality is no driving is not a privilege unless you cede your right to the state to make it one.

This person was not in an accident. No one has suffered any loss. It sounds to me like if they had to let their insurance lapse it was from an economic necessity standpoint.

So the money that the person needs to pay vital bills including insurances is instead going to be paid to the municipality as a fine?

How does that protect you or help you, since after all by your own admission the whole world is all about you, and if you feel you ‘have’ to do something, so should everyone else have to too.

Which is really just an argument in support of slavery and taxation by the way, and draconian laws and restrictions with an all controlling state meddling for it’s own profit and control to the point it literally then interferes with the citizen’s chance to be productive and contribute.

Some where while you were steaming that someone didn’t do something that you have to do, you managed to miss the real human element and tragedy to this story.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Even when this off the topic, you bring another point, I wonder how is going to be when the forced HCR comes in effect and penalties and fines will be enforced and by whom.

It will be just like failing to show prove of car insurance.

link   
reply to post by gambon

I was speaking to the criminal aspect of things. Everything is variable according to the circumstances.

Example: If someone has an accident and it is deemed that the driver was not negligent then thats all it is, an accident, and it would become a civil matter between the two parties involved IE: lawsuits

Same scenario but the driver is unlicensed and uninsured then tickets, and possible criminal charges could apply. And they could still be sued.

Criminal vs. civil are two different things.

Civilly yes it would be much harder to collect a judgement from an individual vs. an Insurance company, most likely impossible, because as you see in this thread some people prefer to stay outside the system.

link   
in Michigan they have the uninsured motorist fund, so injuried are covered by state.
Byutif you were insured you get copy of form take it to court and show it to Judge, try and explain why you did not show up in court.
If you get court appointed attorney they will add fee to bill.
You should of offered the cop sex to begin with and you may of gotten off to begin with.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by googolplex]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gambon

How is insurance going to help if I kill someone while driving? It doesn't bring back the person who died now does it? I don't drive recklessly so how could I possibly kill someone? If they are being stupid and they get killed by driving like an idiot and hit me it's my fault? How could my insurance or DL possibly have any bearing on that?

You DO NOT HAVE TO FOLLOW THE RULES if you don't want to. That's your decision. You too have a choice. If you think that you drive so poorly that you might kill someone while driving by all means pay for something you might never use. It's no skin off my nose just less money out of your pocket.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
OP I'm not sure what state you live in so this may or may not apply to you. In NY you can apply for a conditional drivers license which allows you to drive to and from work daily and allots you a specific time frame that you can run errands, grocery shoping etc. I would recomend contacting a local legal aid office to see what the options are in your specific area or legal jurisdiction.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Driving is a PRIVILEGE, NOT A RIGHT. You must pay insurance and taxes and inspection fees and pay for the drivers license, etc. If you do not pay, then you do not drive.

I agree that your statement is factual.

I have a real problem with this. Where do our elected officials get the authority to grant us PRIVILEGES? I have no problem with obtaining a licence to prove my PROFICIENCY at operating a motor vehicle. I also have no problem with being required to keep my vehicle in good repair. I have a few issues with insurance, but, I won't go into that here.

My main concern is that our Governments think that they have the authority to grant us privileges. Driver's licenses are not the only privileges that we are granted. Almost any type of a professional license, permit or certification that is controlled by a Government agency falls into this catagory. At any time, for any or no reason, these can be revoked with out due process and there isn't a damn thing that you can do about it. A few years ago, I recieved notice that my driver's license was being suspended for a traffic violation in Florida. Since I hadn't been in Florida for over 20 years, I didn't see how this was possible. When I contacted the Department of Transportation in my State about it, I was told that I had 60 days from the date of the letter to show proof that they had made a mistake or the suspension would be carried out. I asked for any information that they had about where and when the incident had happened and was told that they didn't have to provide it to me. I went to my State Representative's office and the person there pulled out a computer printout, looked up my name and the Party that I was registered with for voting, then told me there was nothing she could do. She did this right in front of me. Finally I contacted DOT in Florida and was told that there had been a mistake made and if I sent a money order for $25 they would issue a "Not Me" letter. I sent the money order, got the letter and went to the local DOT office. The clerk there told me that the letter was no good, because Florida sent it to me, instead of DOT, so they couldn't accept it. I was getting ready to leave, when a person that I knew asked what was going on? I explained and he told me to come back on Saturday. I came back that Saturday and he called somebody he knew at the main office of DOT and it was taken care of in 5 minutes, but, it was 1 day after the 60 days mentioned in the letter. Sure enough they had suspended my license. It cost me anothe $25 for reinstatement, $36 for a new license and then I found that I had 5 points put on my license because of the suspension. 6 points gets you another suspension. All of this because a data entry clerk typed the wrong letter for a middle initial in Florida.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
To the person who hasn't had insurance, etc, and is telling people not to worry, nothing will happen,

some states (FL for one) have a law that states if you lapse in your insurance payments and the policy is cancelled, said insurance company has to report you to the DMV and your license will be suspended until you get insurance. I had a car that I bought for cheap, and it was a total lemon that broke down immediately. Since I had no more car, I didn't need the insurance. Let it go, got my license suspended. Had to go to the DMV with proof that I sold the car for parts and let them check that I was not currently a car owner before they would lift the ban. I cared about keeping my license because I planned to get another car eventually and didn't want to have to deal with all of that again.

Now, I know you have no license either, but not everyone wants to do what you are doing, and they should be informed that there may be consequences that they don't want to deal with .

I know, you said they should choose for themselves, but you also said nothing would happen to them. Just thought I would throw that in there.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Even when this off the topic, you bring another point, I wonder how is going to be when the forced HCR comes in effect and penalties and fines will be enforced and by whom.

It will be just like failing to show prove of car insurance.

Same nonsense different day Marge, you must pay your government masters and their corporate affiliates just in case!

Pay us, pay us what we want, when we want, and while we won't quite look out for you, or do right by you, or even really take care of you, we won't throw you in jail.

It's called extorsion and that is exactly what it is, protection money paid to a racket.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

My lic has been susspended for over 10 years. I have had no tickets, accidents, or operated a motor vehicle in a manner that would get me pulled over. I don't need a DL to drive where I want to.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

You are correct. Something can happen to you if you do ANYTHING to draw attention to yourself and get pulled over. I guess I didn't clarify. Sorry about that. As far as getting a car,...I bought the car I'm driving with no DL. It's not what you know it's who you know. You can do ANYTHING you would like to do as long as you are not hurting anyone else. That's common law. Screw all the other laws.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErEhWoN
To me, this constitutes extortion, and I told him so. He got offended and that was the end of the conversation.

My question is, can they legally hold my license hostage, denying me the ability to provide for myself and my family? I turned myself in, and intend to again on Monday.

When they book me, I plan to ask for a court appointed attorney, which will probably be the judge! Oh well, I just had to vent. I never been arrested before because of a warrant, and it just tickled me that they wouldn't arrest me!

Only in America!

That's right. Only in America can you apply for a drivers license, sign the license (indicating your agreement to follow 2000+ traffic laws), violate your side of the contract, and then claim you are being extorted. Why not use that to your advantage?

A court appointed attorney's job is not to win your case. The job of the court appointed attorney is to protect your rights at all times. That's it. Your rights will be protected and you will lose the case because you'll be offered a plea bargain, and you'll take the plea bargain rather than pleading not guilty.

Have you considered representing yourself, instead of pleading into a fiction of law?

You now have a damage in the amount of $750. If you wanted to represent yourself, you would have a case to recoup the damage. If you can manage to spend some time in jail, you'll get more damages each day inside and you can even interview other inmates to look for civil rights violations on the part of the authorities. Each civil rights violation and each damage can be submitted for monetary compensation.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by MKULTRA]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
At least in California, I think DMV is worse than the court system when it comes to restricting licenses . . . and they're not even an actual government agency, they're under contract as a private organization. I am aware of one situation where a judge on the bench had given the okay for a person to have driving privileges to get to and from work after being convicted of reckless driving, and then DMV has overridden it and said NO. How can a DMV hearing officer (who is not a lawyer or a judge, just an employee of DMV), override the decision of a judge?

There are many inexplicable circumstances within the court systems across the U.S., but one thing is for sure, right now, if you owe bail on a ticket and they think you have the ability to pay, they're gonna come calling if you don't. However, it seems to me that you should have the ability to do time in lieu of bail if you are indigent. One thing you should definitely be doing is documenting your attempts to rectify the matter and finding yourself being sent away with it unresolved. Get the names of the people you talk to at these facilities, too. It may help you in court to show you've made the effort. Otherwise it sounds like it's gonna go undocumented on their end.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
You wont see a jail call under any circumstances. They not gonna waste there time,money,or cell space for a car insurance issue. Nor there not gonna give you any alternative options. There's a million people who cant pay fines,restitution,court cost etc...The judge sees a hundred "You"'s a day, he could care less.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Sorry, but I personally have ZERO sympathy for anyone that failes to keep auto insurance. If you had wrecked your car it could be a nightmare for the innocent party. Unless your state demands uninsured drivers insurance...which I have to pay extras for to cover people like you..then the poor sap you run into is screwed.

If you can afford gasoline and oil, you can afford insurance..AND pay your fine. Being indigent is NO excuse...When I was indigent many years ago I WALKED to a job and saved until I could get a car..and then paid all the fees and insurance and crap to be able to drive it.

It is not like anyone is keeping you from walking or hitching rides...or whatever people do that have screwed up their driving privilges...they are NOT stopping you from working, just from getting away with a violation...why should YOU get to escape with no penalty? We all have to take responsibility, and if you want to make things right, you should pay the fine and then make sure you do not mess up again...but the issue is YOU, not the system.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I disagree completely. Driving is a right, not a privilege. Insurance is a complete scam. Think about it for a moment... you pay out hundreds of dollars just in case something happens. So at the end of the year, if nothing happens, why do you not get that money back? Of course if something does happen, you get the chance to spend countless hours arguing with the insurance company to get anything done. Especially if you need medical attention. Now, what happens if the money they pay out does not equal what you put in? Well they keep the difference of course, not only do they keep it, but then your rates go up because you had an accident, and it matters not if you were at fault or not.

Going back to my opening statement... Driving is your right, it is NOT a privilege. It is a very common misconception that driving is a privilege afforded to you by the State. That is simply not the case. As a free person you have the RIGHT to travel. News Flash: YOU paid for the roads on which you travel. You pay to maintain those same roads. You for all intents and purposes OWN the roads and highways. Of course I wouldn't expect anyone to take my word for it, so maybe you will listen to these people....

The streets and roadways belong to the public, for the use of the public in the ordinary and customary manner. See: Hadfield v. Lundin, 98 Wn. 657; 168 P. 516;

The "RIGHT" of the Citizen to travel upon the public roadways and to transport his property thereon, by horse-drawn carriage, wagon, or automobile, is NOT a mere PRIVILEGE which may be permitted or prohibited at will, but a "COMMON RIGHT" which he has under his right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Under the Constitutional guarantee one may, therefore, under normal conditions, travel at his inclination along the public roadways or in public places, and while conducting himself in an orderly and decent manner, neither interfering with, not disturbing another's "RIGHTS," he will be protected, not only in his person, but in his safe conduct. (Emphasis added) See: 11 American Jurisprudence 1st., Constitutional Law, 329, page 1123

The Supreme Court of the State of Georgia ruled:
In this connection, it is well to keep in mind that, while the public has an absolute "RIGHT" to the use of the streets for their primary purpose, which is for travel, the use of the streets from the purpose of parking automobiles is a privilege, and not a "RIGHT"; and the privilege must be accepted with such reasonable burdens as the city may place as conditions to the exercise of that privilege. See: Gardner v. City of Brunswick, 28 S.E.2d 135

What about the Supreme Court of Colorado? Well they discussed it also, and what did they come up with? The Constitution of the State of Colorado, Article II, & sect; 3 provides that:

All persons have certain natural, essential and inalienable "RIGHTS," among which may be reckoned the "RIGHT" .... of acquiring, possessing and protecting property; ....

A motor vehicle is "property" and a person "cannot be deprived" of property without due process of law. The term: "Property," within the meaning of the due process clause, includes the "RIGHT" to make full use of the property which one has the inalienable "RIGHT" to acquire.

Every Citizen has an inalienable "RIGHT" to make use of the public highways of the state; every Citizen has full freedom to travel from place to place in the enjoyment of life and liberty. See: People v. Nothaus, 147 Colo. 210

Of course you can feel free to look at a law dictionary and see for yourself what it says. Maybe it says something like......A highway is a passage, road, or street, which every Citizen has a "RIGHT" to use. See: Bouvier's Law Dictionary.

Or if none of these examples are good enough for you, maybe the US Supreme Court can clear up the issue. What did they say on the subject?

Undoubtedly the "RIGHT" of locomotion, the "RIGHT" to remove from one place to another according to inclination, is an attribute of personal liberty, and the "RIGHT," ordinarily, of free transit from or through the territory of any State is a "RIGHT" secured by the Fourteenth Amendment and by other provisions of the Constitution. See: Williams v. Fears, 343 U.S. 270, 274

So, can you please explain to me again how driving on a road that my tax dollars paid for, that my tax dollars pay to maintain, is a privilege granted to me by the State in which I reside in?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
MrWendal, excellent post.

Have you ever listened to George Gordon?

He makes a similar argument using same legal citations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join