It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigrant farm workers' challenge: Take our jobs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Clark Savage Jr.

I gotta agree with you, I work AND go to college and I only make 8.50 and hour. most days I eat one package of ramen, so heck yeah I'll trade!

I even have experience, I worked in the fields during the summers growing up!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clark Savage Jr.
Signed up. And I have a feeling, given the number of legal citizens unemployed, this could very well back fire on the illegals.

[edit on 6/25/2010 by Clark Savage Jr.]
If this happened I would be the first one cheering !

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by State of Mind
reply to post by Clark Savage Jr.

I gotta agree with you, I work AND go to college and I only make 8.50 and hour. most days I eat one package of ramen, so heck yeah I'll trade!

I even have experience, I worked in the fields during the summers growing up!

I worked at a local farmers market as a kid, unloading truck after truck of watermelons all day, every day, in the summer. Trust me, they got heavy after a few hundred, lol.

I think part of the misunderstanding on this issue really and truly comes from the , intentional or not, misrepresenting of what illegals vs(some) legal citizens actually earn.

Down here in the southeast, we have a lot of illegals as well. In my area, they work either in sock factories, fields or chicken plants. And perhaps (former) lands of Golden Opportunity like California are different, but THESE guys are being paid 3-4 bucks an hour under the table. No where near the wages quoted in the OP.

On the other hand, McDonalds mid level-managers are making 8-10 dollars or so an hour. And grocery stores, gas stations or fast food places down here bring you in at minimum wage, which is just over 7 dollars an hour.

Long story short, the large majority of the unemployed that WILL actually work and want to work will work for minimum wage or better TOMORROW---and certainly for 17.00 bucks an hour!

[edit on 6/25/2010 by Clark Savage Jr.]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
At age 16 I worked in corn fields de-tasseling. $80 an acre. Made about 120 bucks a day. Yes it was hard work, but it was work. If I did not have a job already I would gladly sign up. I hope everyone that needs a job goes for it. Besides it looks like gardening skills will be a major asset in the near future.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion

I cross pollinated different types of corn! Your right, it is hard work! I did it every summer throughout my youth with other teens/preteens, and it was ROUGH. 100 degree weather, ten hour days, six days a week, starting at six in the morning, ugh. But I wouldnt trade it for anything, I made a lot of friends and I definitely learned the value of a dollar. That's how I bought my first car.

Its funny how a lot of people think it is just Mexicans that work in the fields, when a lot of highschool students do it as well.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by State of Mind

Very true. Hard work does seem to make one re-evaluate their principles and self esteem.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
reply to post by buddhasystem

this would be nice except then we would be paying $16 for a glass of orange juice.

I can only imagine how much most of our home grown goods would increase in price if we were paying the people picking them $9-$17 an hour. I think a basket of strawberries would be like $25, a bag of oranges $30?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Has anyone heard back from them? My son hasn't.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I refuse to click on anything made by illegal immigrants, much less fill anything out with personal information.

Like I said, I won't click on the link (I've already had my identity stolen once before I was out of elementary school). I hope everyone that has made sure it was a legit site, otherwise ATS has just birthed about a dozen new "legal" immigrants with the info provided.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Most Americans are not complaining about the farm jobs its the construction and manufacturing jobs,
I work for over 30 years doing construction and there were fewer jobs for Americans every year as companies replaced Americans with lower paid illegals.

It was not that the jobs were dirty hard or because of the weather.

I never had a problem finding underground miners. and that field is everything that companies claim Americans will not work.

The good thing about underground mining is most illegals are deathly afraid of underground jobs and will not work them.

They only time i ever found a illegal that would work underground was a couple of silver miners from Mexico and they were paid the same wages as the Americans on the job and learned many new skills in mining.

After a couple years these miners from Mexico went back to Mexico with what they had learned from us and got good jobs in Mexican mines as Foreman.

Long ago the mining trades people in the US got a rule in the laws that all mine safety training had to be done in English.(for safety reasons that if someone yelled cave in, fire or any other warning everyone on the job would understand.)
And to work at a mine you must have a 40 hour safety training course.
The miners from Mexico i knew were fluent in English to be able to take the course. and very few illegal are fluent in English.

Most that are fluent in English are not even suspected of being illegals.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

I think an American union made this site! Isn't that what the Farm Workers of America is?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

More Liberal ignorance? Looks like it!

1. Farmhand jobs are not enforced when it comes to minimum wage.. they can work the most unskilled worker to the bone for $3/hr if they wanted. Migrant farm workers are often the poorest of Mexicos poor.

2. The vast majority of illegal aliens DO NOT WORK ON FARMS. In fact most work in the "service" sector, which is the largest employing sector in America. Go to a walmart or mcdonalds and see an illegal and an american workin side by side while every new job opening gets hundreds of aplicants!

Personally I find it hilarious the liberal left not only condones, makes fun of, and openly promotes slave labor.

Ignorance indeed.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by buddhasystem

The immigrants can live a "third world lifestyle".

Why can't Americans?

If you miss my point, what I'm saying is that these immigrants are capable of working in these conditions for minimal wages and still live in America right?

Why can't an American?

Some time ago, people lived in caves and life expectancy was like 25 years. Why shouldn't we go back to basics?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I would love to be making $16 - $17 an hour. Heck, I would even be happy getting $14 an hour. That is very good money around these parts.

I could get bills paid off sooner with the extra money I would be earning. If I were not already employed I would be signing up ASAP.

I hope the jobs get over filled with Americans willing to do the jobs and make those running their mouths eat crow.

Raist

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

The immigrants can live a "third world lifestyle". Why can't Americans?

Hey, I have a house, a car and a boat. I also have everything else a middle class person in the States would have!

In my experience, the organisations who offer 'training' for these types of jobs are nothing more then rip-off artists. I see then operate every year, and the people they usually send out for the jobs are completely unprepared for the tasks that await them. They typically make their money from docking employees pay checks, or charging them for equipment that would otherwise be supplied free of charge in the workplace. And if they receive govt. funding to do this, remember it's your tax money that goes toward subsidising them and that money could be spent of far better things.

I have had about 10 years working in vineyards, farms and orchards, and would be happy to answer any questions that anyone has if they are thinking of this type of work. In my personal opinion, it's a great way to make money and improve physical health.

To put things into perspective, I recently 'downgraded' myself from full time vineyard operator to contract worker, and have made far more money then I would have having a permanent job (today I was on $44.00 per hour) I'm passionate about helping people into this type of employment, but would rather they find out the facts before signing up for any job training course. Send me a U2U and I'll get back to you straight away.

Cheers

Shane

[edit on 2/7/10 by shamus78]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
no call.

no emails either, unless you count the new influx of spam.

leaning towards hoax

top topics

<< 1   >>

join