It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IPhone 4 Dropping Calls When Held Left handed!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
This will maybe amuse you....or not.

Read more about this here:
business-news.thestreet.com...

And look what steve jobs says about it:

And please tell me, is it a good thing for my healthy when the whole radiation is in my hand instead of my phone antenna? 600'000 Users yet? LOL

How stupid are we at least?

[edit on 25-6-2010 by cushycrux]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Here you can see the call drop:

Had to LOL about the first comment on youtube:
"soon iphone 5 with left hand support"

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Well I'm left handed and it doesn't make any sense why it would matter which hand it was in. But I'd probably hold it in my right and use my left hand to operate it.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by TruthSeeker8300]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthSeeker8300
Well I'm left handed and it doesn't make any sense why it would matter which hand it was in. But I'd probably hold it in my right and use my left hand to operate it.

I am right handed and I always have the phone in my left hand to make calls. The G3 antenna is built in, in left lower corner, this is why this absolutely makes sense....as you can see on the videos

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Because we must have the latest toys?

I'm not criticising the OP here, this is an amusing story (to me anyway). Apple customer service stinks, but I think they treat their customers with the contempt they deserve.

I don't want to derail the OP, but I think that the "need" of people to own this vanity-device is pretty contemptible. I remember at school "having" to have the right and latest trainers/sneakers and not being bothered about it then... (I wanted to buy books and records :puz
... I think it would be nice if adults had gone beyond this.

rant over.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
My phone does that. I have an LG-Vu.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Not an iphone fan but this is not a vanity device. It is the first phone that does live video to video feeds as well as serves as a wireless hub allowing you to drop your home internet service. I used to talk down on smart phones till I got one,now its hard to live without. They do everything but wash the dishes.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
Because we must have the latest toys?

I'm not criticising the OP here, this is an amusing story (to me anyway). Apple customer service stinks, but I think they treat their customers with the contempt they deserve.

I don't want to derail the OP, but I think that the "need" of people to own this vanity-device is pretty contemptible. I remember at school "having" to have the right and latest trainers/sneakers and not being bothered about it then... (I wanted to buy books and records :puz
... I think it would be nice if adults had gone beyond this.

rant over.

You may smile, I am a PC Supporter and do not own a handy.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ISHAMAGI
reply to post by jokei

Not an iphone fan but this is not a vanity device. It is the first phone that does live video to video feeds as well as serves as a wireless hub allowing you to drop your home internet service. I used to talk down on smart phones till I got one,now its hard to live without. They do everything but wash the dishes.

Actually, it's the second. The HTC Evo 4G(Android) was the first with both features you mentioned. Plus it has the added feature of "left hand use"

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by cushycrux

Originally posted by TruthSeeker8300

I am right handed and I always have the phone in my left hand to make calls. The G3 antenna is built in, in left lower corner, this is why this absolutely makes sense....as you can see on the videos

It makes sense you'd use the left hand to hold the phone when you make calls, I'm right handed and I do the same thing, probably because I dial with my right hand.

But The first video makes it sound like touching the antenna on both sides of the phone was causing the problem. If that's the case it wouldn't matter if you held it left handed or right handed? Unless there's more antenna internally that only the left hand blocks.

I have an old phone and it has a stubby little antenna projecting from it about an inch long, and it works great and your hand will never block it.

I can say I have been in company boardrooms when decisions like this are made. I always have the engineering point of view and want things to work even of they don't look as cool. The marketing guys want it to look cool and they don't care how well it works, they just want the looks to sell it.

Sometimes the engineers win the battle, but too often the marketing guys win and get product designs in their favor that look cooler but don't work as well. I'd say this looks like a pretty good example of such a compromise when compared to my phone with the stubby little antenna that doesn't look as cool but works a lot better.

So I shop for how well a product works. People that shop for how a product looks are getting what they deserve in this case.

Maybe some of them will wise up and start caring how a product works in addition to how it looks. Then again, maybe not.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
thats a pretty stunning response from steve jobs

basically he's saying "and? deal with it"

yet somehow I don't think this will hurt the cult of apple too much, they'll eventually give out free cases if the noise of complaints gets too loud

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
This has been covered quite a bit on gizmodo. Its a pretty epic design fault from apple. The issue can be fixed by either holding it differently, or buying a case.

Gizmodo: iPhone 4 loses reception when held by the antenna band?

[edit on 25/6/10 by ro01xc08]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by maintainright
thats a pretty stunning response from steve jobs

basically he's saying "and? deal with it"

I found another response from Steve Jobs on another site:

dvice.com...

From Apple's head honcho himself (or, at least, from someone using his email account):

Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases.

Actually that statement isn't really true. As I posted earlier, no matter how I grip my phone, the antenna doesn't get covered up, the antenna protrudes from the top of the phone so its not really in a grippable area. They are just trying to minimize the magnitude of their screw-up.

top topics

join