It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers detect 'superstorm' on planet in another solar system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Winds blowing at more than 6,200mph were detected on the distant world, which orbits a Sun-like star 150 light years away.

Wow those are some powerful winds and the VLT can detect this? That is one powerful telescope in Chile.

Just wanted to share this.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Fascinating! I wonder if they are dealing with an oil spill as well LOL.
If they can detect a storm on such a distant world, why not scan the surface for life or KFC?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I saw this article posted in the breaking alternative news section. Why the hell it is posted there is beyond me.

But I agree with you.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Can't even imagine what those kinda winds would be like... rocks and other debris flying around at 6200mph...

[edit on 25/6/10 by Edews]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Cool! Where was the original article posted? I'd love to read the whole thing.

(and yes, I'm Google-stupid today
)

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
A link and some pictures would be really excellent if possible.

Thanks OP.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Mach 10 winds!!!!!!! That is literally beyond my comprehension.
Also, I believe this is a planet that is basically touching it's sun - it's so close. Wonder if that has anything to do with it!

[edit on 6/25/2010 by impaired]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
That planet might not even exist any more... since the winds they detected were happening 150 years ago.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

Interesting...

I wonder if our sun is more active and thats going on all the way over there, reaching a climax, do all galaxies/universes go through this at the same time???

[edit on 25-6-2010 by WeBrooklyn]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by WeBrooklyn

Hey, thanks for the links, I was really hoping for some real pictures

Pardon my ignorance, I'm no astronomer - but if they've detected these winds with a telescope, why aren't there any pictures?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I was looking for photos also, I've been on numerous sites to see something interesting related to the storm but i guess we're just being too nosy

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Wow, how the heck do you know the wind on a planet 150 million light years away. I believe that is apprx. 881,190,251,010,000,000,000 away. That just seems crazy. To see a planet with a strong telescope that far away doesn't surprise me because you can see the light the planet reflects, but to be able to measure the wind that far...Amazing

here's the site i used to calculate 150 million light years to miles. is that math correct?

www.onlineconversion.com...

[edit on 25-6-2010 by BluePillOrRedPill]
Edit to change math and link, the other link was using 5.7 trillion for a light year instead of 5.8

[edit on 25-6-2010 by BluePillOrRedPill]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Sincere apologies to all those who are miffed that I posted this news in BN. TBH I'm not familiar with this forum. I toyed with posting here, but thought this area had more to do with the physical exploration of space (esp. judging by the forum icon).

If I come across anything else of this ilk you'll be the first to know.

Just to stir the pot: more than one poster in the other thread has questioned the validity of this discovery seeing as it's based on inferencing and calculations rather than direct observations.

new topics

top topics

join