It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the US not go Metric?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
America is the last modern country that refuses to go metric. Why?
I'm in Australia and we went metric in 1969.

Does the US want to hold on to the old system when metric is so much easier to learn and calculate?

I know it costs a lot to change all signage and equipment but why is the US the only Western Power that refuses to change??

lamar.colostate.edu...

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

i think just cause we are use to it.

sure the next generation and there after wouldn't have that same problem, but screw them.

jk about the screw them part

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I have to admit, I have often wondered that myself. One guess is that it would be a monumental task to educate many of the, how shall I put it delicately - the "unfortunately slightly-less educated" members of the American society. Now before I get a whole bunch of Americans jumping down my throat I shall clarify that comment by saying that I am aware that the majority of Americans are intelligent and thoughtful people.

**Ducks**

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

err the UK is still Imperial. Even though people at school are taught the Metric system UK still have miles and uses imperial weights like pounds and quarter pounds. WE still use imperial measures like Inches feet and yards. We went metric ages ago but the people in the UK well a good majority are so thick the government had to bring back the old system.

[edit on 25/6/2010 by loner007]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I'd bet it has to do with the amount of manufacturing we used to do here. Retooling all those plants would have been extremely costly. Guess that's not as much of an issue now though

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
We went metric ages ago but the people in the UK well a good majority are so thick the government had to bring back the old system.

Thats what I meant in my post above by....

the "unfortunately slightly-less educated"

I was just trying to put it delicately

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
they attemped it at one point but iguess it faild

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Education shouldn't be the problem as the metric system is so much easier to learn.

Funny thing is, the US dollar has always been metric.

We in Australia started with the Pounds, Shillings and Pence.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Actually Americans are taught both systems, and most everything you buy here has both measuremnts on the labels. Road signs and retooling would be the main reasons for a complete change.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Am I just hearing that us Aussies are smarter than US or UK citizens?

BTW, I was born in the UK but left at age 2..I needed a change

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

Yes Road Signage would cost but 40 years after Australia and the US still cant afford it??

I dont think so...

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Well, never let it be said that Americans are keen to the idea of having foreign rulers.

Give them an inch and they'll insist on 2.54 centimeters!

Stereotypical American arrogance (and horrible puns aside) - I honestly have no idea.

Great question!

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

*edit - clean up on Aisle 6.

[edit on 6/25/10 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

The US has about 4,000,000 miles worth of road thats a heck of alot of signage, and its not really necessary to change over does it really matter what system we use within the US , because if we are dealing overseas everything is gonna be done in metric before it leaves anyway. My truck has both mph and kph , and I have tools for both metric and standard systems, I dont find it difficult to go between the two systems and most Americans dont seem to have a problem with it either.

Metrication in the United States

oOo my 1,000 post

[edit on 6/25/2010 by DarkStormCrow]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

Stared for the quick humour.

But it still astounds me 40 years after we in Australia went to the easier metrc system that the US still wants the antiquated imperial system of miles, pounds and feet.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
The retooling of manufacturing plants where all the machinery itself...conveyors, drill bits, presses, robotic arms, stampers, punches, molds, and so on. My dad was a machinist, and I've been inside a few large can factories and seen what's involved, so I can guess just how large and effort this would have been at the prime of our manufacturing years.

Also, think of the billions of dollars of tools that would be obsoleted. In this case I mean tools like wrenches and the like. Most Americans probably keep two sets, one standard and one metric, but this would still be pretty costly.

Maybe a business that remachines tools wouldn't be a bad thing to invest in right about now. In fact I'm patenting or copyrighting or trademarking or whatever applies that idea right now, with the company name RetroFitz. Hope this is legally binding. Do invest when I go public

Someone mentioned signs...yeah that's a huge cost too but they are replaced relative often anyway in most areas and they could probably be allowed to wait...after all car speedometers would still show both for a while too.

What else would cost and have to be phased out? Cars. Motorcycles. Medical equipment? Things like that?

Yeah there would be overlap for a good long while where we'd have to keep some tools around to be able to repair the standard.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I know why we don't go metric... I was around back in the 1970s when we tried to convert the first time around, and it failed miserably.

Americans at any level are not "thick", nor are we unable to learn.

We are NOT WILLING to convert.

It jumped out at you at every level. I remember my parents trying to convert a bushel into a metric equal....didn't work. Same with measurements and everything else. Construction industry would go crazy, same with agriculture...

People made an effort, but then you had to re-explain the transaction and convert back into feet , square footage, and bushels,....most just said to heck with it...

There was such a backlash...especially politically, the effort was quickly nixed. The most successful venture in metrics and actually, the only holdover from the Carter Administration's push for metrics.....

the 2 liter soft drink bottles. I'd be willing to bet that it didn't help Carter either.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Totally agreed but Australia is mostly metric but we do still have imperial measurements in industry.
For the reasons you mention..

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Thats wierd...Here it obviously took time..
I was still looking at temps in celcious and coverting back to the old fahrenheit, but eventually you learn.

But weights, distance and currency are so much easier in metric.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES

Well, never let it be said that Americans are keen to the idea of having foreign rulers.

Give them an inch and they'll insist on 2.54 centimeters!

Stereotypical American arrogance (and horrible puns aside) - I honestly have no idea.

Great question!

*edit - clean up on Aisle 6.

[edit on 6/25/10 by GENERAL EYES]

I'd insist on 30.48 cm.

I like the imperial system for liquid measurement. I just don't like the liter for some reason. It just does not seem to fit well in everyday liquid measurements, IMO. Though if gas where $2 a liter I might change my mind in that instance.

I don't mind the metric linear measurement system for most things. The mile will not go away though. It will always have great use in navigation.

You know, I've always wondered if it is more thrilling to drive at 300 kph or at 186.41 mph.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by virgom129
America is the last modern country that refuses to go metric. Why?
I'm in Australia and we went metric in 1969.

Does the US want to hold on to the old system when metric is so much easier to learn and calculate?

I know it costs a lot to change all signage and equipment but why is the US the only Western Power that refuses to change??

lamar.colostate.edu...

Why doesn't the rest of the world realize that the now American standards are better in some ways? I agree that the metric system actually allows for greater variations in weights and measures. Millimeters is more precise than ounces. However, when it comes to temperature readings, Farenheit readings are more precise than Centigrade. I can say it's about 30 degrees C, but Farenheit gives me a closer evaluation of temperature.

Meanwhile, pounds, ounces, quarts are very familiar to Americans.

And also consider, in the U.S. mechanics need to now have both the SAE and metric tools. That means more tools and more money for the manufacturers.

I think Americans refuse to adapt to the metric system because it means being like everyone else, and the U.S. was based upon individuality and the refusal for the status quo. It helps Americans to believe they are different, and thus, better.

I think George Orwell explained it in 1984. A guy was in a bar and ordered a beer. His complaint was that he knew his limit when it came to a pint, but now he had to order a beer that was either less than what he was used to, or it was much larger than he was used to. He either got not enough, or he got too much and had to pee more. LOL.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join