It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar cycle sparks doomsday buzz

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well, if monsterous solar-flares and wind come directly towards Earth one after the other, which would knock out our satellites then we would be without global communication for who knows how long. This could lead to an economic downturn throughout the world, high-tension between rival countries, and the possiblity of keeping vast amounts of incriminating information of a false flag under wraps. Who knows, if the Solar Maximum is as bad as we think it is going to be, TPTB might use it as an excuse to start WWIII.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by ATLien

There is no particularly rare "alignment" of planets in 2012.

There is no indication that there will be "overwhelming amounts of solar energy" being sent from the Sun in 2012.

NASA has never "announced the sun would have an EMP like effect on the planet in 2013".

The National Geographic (not Discovery Channel) program was about nuclear weapons, not the Sun.

Actually NASA did announce it.
here:wattsupwiththat.com...

Aside from that I recently saw CNN program interrupted by their meteorologist sharing his "personal" belief that the sun will "wake up" and cause damage that will take several years to repair. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure there's a rare alignment, known as the galactic alignment taking place in 2012.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ATLien

No. NASA did not announce it.

Here is what the Telegraph said

Senior space agency scientists believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

Wrong. As is typical of what the MSM does with what is actually said, they twisted it in order to make it more sensationalistic. What the NASA scientist actually said was:

"The sun is waking up from a deep slumber, and in the next few years we expect to see much higher levels of solar activity. At the same time, our technological society has developed an unprecedented sensitivity to solar storms. The intersection of these two issues is what we're getting together to discuss."

science.nasa.gov...

The Sun is not going to "awaken" in 2013. It is awakening now. He did not say there would be "unprecedented levels of magnetic energy", he said our sensitivity to solar storms is unprecedented. There's a big difference. There is no indication that the next solar maximum will be any more intense than any previous solar maximum but it is true that our dependence on satellites and electricity means that solar storms can have a greater impact on us than they have in the past.

I don't think a TV weatherman's assessment of future solar activity carries more weight than that of a panel of solar scientists:

The panel has decided that the next solar cycle will be below average in intensity, with a maximum sunspot number of 90. Given the predicted date of solar minimum and the predicted maximum intensity, solar maximum is now expected to occur in May, 2013.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Yes, an intense solar storm can create an intense geomagnetic storm which can cause very real problems for us. But such a storm can happen at any time, it could happen next week, next year, or not for 100 years. No one has the ability to predict it. Not yet.

I thought you said there was an "alignment of planets". Oh well, there is no "galactic alignment" in 2012 either.

[edit on 6/25/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ironically, no one seems to have mentioned HAARP in conjunction with solar flares and CMEs in the mainstream CT press.

You'd think with all the hooha you get about earthquakes, death beams and the like, which isn't true, that someone would pop up with a comment on something it CAN do. Where are the Begiches, the Dan Edens, the loony weather site guys, the Adachis? Aren't they supposed to be experts? Doesn't this merit a comment by them?

edit:
Personally, I think the current one or two paltry little spots are a 'dead cat bounce'. We're not going to get a Carrington event, we're going to get a Maunder minimum.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by Bedlam]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

A hundred years of few spots, huh? Ok, you're on. Get back to me in 20 years or so and we'll see how that's working out.

But even during solar minimums, we get strong geomagnetic storms.
www.spacew.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Bedlam

A hundred years of few spots, huh? Ok, you're on. Get back to me in 20 years or so and we'll see how that's working out.

www.spacew.com...

You're on! I'll bet you a bottle of O'Bedlam's Red Menace Ale.

The Sun's out, donchaknow. Fusion's stopped. It's running on energy making its way out of the core. It's those pesky micro black holes it ate a few years back. We've only got a few million years to live. Panic now, while there's plenty left!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I guess I'm just reading these things differently than some.
I do not see any of these posts as "doom and gloom".
Part of it, I see as seeking knowledge and understanding of whats going on in our world and the universe....rather than walking around oblivious.
So, maybe there is nothing we can DO about any of it....but, hopefully, we can learn to appreciate our lives and those we love.
It's pretty sad that it takes the thought of the world ending or major disasters to wake some people up to what they DO have. But, think of all the people who lost loved ones and only wish they could have said "I love you", or I'm sorry" ....and now its too late.
So, live EVERY DAY like it may be your last....not being worried or depressed, but being thankful for what you did/do have.
Still, make plans for the future, however you see fit.

Here's something to "chew" on:
My neighbor has spent the past 50 years only eating food he has grown from his "organic farm". ( And, he raises and sells cows as well) And, he will let you know, that when times get bad, and there is no food to be found, "we" will still have food growing to see us through, and meat.

I just dont have the heart to tell him, that if "the others" dont kill him and take his food", chances are, the drought and heat will kill off his veggies and the cows will die from lack of water and hay......because, maybe he IS right.
What I DO know, is as long as there are snickers bars on this flippin planet, I will not eat salad every day of my life...believe THAT.
I fully plan on enjoying what is here, as long as it is here.
I conserve water, and recycle, and all that good stuff...but you can bet your sweet butts, the employees at BURGER KING know me by name in this little one horse town.
When it is time to suffer, I will suffer, but I am not going to start right now.
Right now, I am going to hug my kids and tell them I love them until they beg me to STHU. I am going to stay up late on the weekends and watch movies with them and we will all sleep in the living room on a big pallet and eat popcorn.
New cars, jewelry, and "the best of everything", has never appealed to me ( but to each his own).....my treasures surround me with laughter...and, Im also pretty fond of ye ole computer, and a few TV shows, and tons of movies ( and I plan on watching every movie I can while I have the electricity to do so) Later, if there is no electricity, I will sit on the porch..but not now.
Cheers, everyone. ENJOY your life, and take care of your "fruits" ( children, family, etc.) Be good to each other, and animals. And, stay away from jerks....cause there is enough crap going on already. No need to add to it.

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Here's some related topics...

Absence of sunspots make scientists wonder if they're seeing a calm before a storm of energy

Whats wrong with the Sun?

I thought there were more over the last week but I can't seem to find them

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I think it will be interesting to see how we fair, against the collapsed telegraph wires in the 1800's. You would think we would learn how to protect our tech after 150 years.

Either way, I'm trying to learn more about solar activity, life cycles and such. This story was just interesting to me as a tech lover, incredibly junior astronomer, and conspiracy theory fan.(doom and gloom) haha.

Also, I think the talk of rare planetary alignment got mixed up with the movie 2012?? Like I said, I'm an uber junior astronomer. I like to look through my telescope at stuff. ( And not just boobies on the other side of town).

Anyways, thanks for a lot of the replies. Learning more everyday!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The Sun is not going to "awaken" in 2013. It is awakening now. He did not say there would be "unprecedented levels of magnetic energy", he said our sensitivity to solar storms is unprecedented. There's a big difference.

Ok, go ahead and back up!

The magnetic field in Earth's corona is on the increase now, it is off the graph.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by win 52

The magnetic field in the Earth's corona? The Earth doesn't have a corona but yes, there was an increase in the density of the solar wind which lasted for a couple of hours.

Your point?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demoncreeper
I think it will be interesting to see how we fair, against the collapsed telegraph wires in the 1800's. You would think we would learn how to protect our tech after 150 years.

Well, you have to first start at "what does a flare/CME really do" and not "OMG CARRINGTON!!" if you want to know what the possibilities are.

As for the Carrington/telegraph wire thing, telegraph wires are solid copper, as we used to say. You have a conductive link from one end to the other, and that other end can be many many miles away. IIRC, you could easily have a hundred mile line before you put in a repeater. They also used the physical ground as one of the conductors, which gives you a big loop area.

The insulation was not very good in those days. Mainly gutta-percha, shellac or wound cotton - it didn't take a lot of voltage to arc through it.

So when the flare hits, you get something known as geomagnetic heave. The solar flare actually pushes the Earth's magnetic field around. And as we all know, a time-varying magnetic field induces voltage in a conductive loop. So, that long flat loop of the ground and the telegraph wire intercepted enough flux lines that you got voltage induced on the wire.

These days, we don't so much have really long lines that provide big loop areas, except in long distance inter-grid AC transmission lines. We've got lots of better insulation than they had in the 19th century - but there's a new issue. We use AC to send that EHV power across the country. Transformers have this behavior known as a B-H curve. If you have AC going down that line, no problemo. If you stick what amounts to a DC offset on it, what you get is the transformer walking off the B-H curve. Its inductance goes away due to saturation, and it becomes a load rather than a transformer. And then it goes "bang".

The issue is that those transformers are expensive. We COULD have designed them to deal with offsets (or we could have removed the offset) but those things cost money, and the bean counters say 'no'. Better yet, they're not made in the US and they take a long time to replace, and we don't stock spares.

Thus the "months to years" thing you hear. It hasn't got squat to do with an EMP as you occasionally hear journos try to imply - mainly because they're technically inept and they are looking for a sensational sound bite. EMPs also have a geomagnetic heave component, but they also have that upfront Compton effect part that a CME doesn't have.

So, don't look for a solar flare or CME to "destroy ALL ELECTRONICS!!!!!11!", it won't, it will play hell with long transmission lines IF they don't have enough warning to shut down those parts of the grid and/or the line trips malfunction.

The other thing that you get with a CME or a nuke is a lot of trapped electrons in the inner magnetosphere that just spin around in there like wild. The first wave of them is sort of inevitable, what generally happens if you have enough warning is that you "safe" the satellites until it passes and hope you don't get too much damage. After the flare is over, though, you have about three weeks worth of it until the trapped particles finally fall out into the ionosphere. That's where HAARP (and other things) come in. You can use the array (and other things) to cause the electrons to make real BIG loops and hit the ionosphere, removing them as problems in a day or so, and giving you a nice light show in the process.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

reply to post by Bedlam

www.spacew.com...

You're on! I'll bet you a bottle of O'Bedlam's Red Menace Ale.

The Sun's out, donchaknow. Fusion's stopped. It's running on energy making its way out of the core. It's those pesky micro black holes it ate a few years back. We've only got a few million years to live. Panic now, while there's plenty left!

I thought the new neutrino detectors picked up actual primary fusion neutrinos from the Sun recently, implying it is working as expected.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by problemsolvr

Pluto is passing through Sagittarius.

Astrology is misleading people.

www.heavens-above.com...

It wont enter Capricorn until 2023.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by LeoVirgo]

[edit on 26-6-2010 by LeoVirgo]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join