It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar cycle sparks doomsday buzz

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Solar cycle sparks doomsday buzz

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com

The warnings focus on the 2012-2013 time frame, because that's when the 11-year solar activity cycle is expected to peak. Back in 2006, solar scientists said the coming peak, known as solar maximum or "solar max," could be 30 to 50 percent stronger than the last one, based on a computer model that looked at how plasma circulates between the sun's equator and its poles.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I'm not much of a solar watcher. But the even the Mayan's knew it was important.

Big cycle coming. Should provide some interesting events AND some nice viewing spectacles.

I'm thinking the importance of preparing for these kinds of outages that may occur would be good way of finding out how much we rely on tech to get us through our day.

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-6-2010 by Demoncreeper]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I thought the earth's magnetic shield would protect us well enough in that case, but after reading the following link I know that the sun can fry electronics.

It happened before...

telegraph systems worldwide went haywire. Spark discharges shocked telegraph operators and set the telegraph paper on fire. Even when telegraphers disconnected the batteries powering the lines, aurora-induced electric currents in the wires still allowed messages to be transmitted.

The Carrington Event of 1859

[edit on 25-6-2010 by Grey Magic]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Not to throw another wrench into this, and I don't know as much about this as a friend who does and told me about to great depth, but the planets are also in alignments they haven't been in for a good long time. This has been happening since 2008 and is culminating this year there is something called a cardinal T square, something also referred to as the great zodiac standoff. When this happens it is said to bring us to the edge of menace. It involves a lot of our largest planets, and the next significant date is tomorrow, June 26, when there is a lunar eclipse that activates the cardinal grand cross with that involves the sun, Mercury, Jupiter, Uranus, and Saturn. The next significant date is July 26, when the cardinal T square forms (Pluto, Saturn, and Uranus). So the T square is almost upon us.

What that means, simplified and summarized, is expect times of fast-forward movement, more shocks and changes, and a lot more hard work. The configuration is very close to the one in 1929-1933
(Great Depression).

In addition. Pluto is passing through Capricorn, which it does only every 248 years, and which is associated with dramatic shifts in world power, major economic changes, and voyages of discovery. Pluto is very volatile.

Anyway. all this is very concerning to astrologers, and in a way might be related if anyone wants to look into it further.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I've only been on ATS for not even a month and I am so sick of doomsday stuff. If they world is going to end, let it. I would much rather spend my time reading news worthy stories about the gulf and Iran than people predicting the end of the world.

If its the worlds time to end, let it, don't worry about it. Get off your butt tomorrow and go do something you've always wanted to. Smile. Enjoy life and be happy.

If you were to die tomorrow, at least know you were happy when SHTF.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
doomsday buzz

Two words that shouldn't be seen together.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

In addition. Pluto is passing through Capricorn, which it does only every 248 years.

248 years ago:

- ILLUMINES OF FRANCE FOUNDED
- SANDWICH INVENTED
- BRITAIN CAPTURES HAVANA, CUBA

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
lol i guess they were so busy fighting wars and stuff they needed to eat on the run? it does say great new discoveries are made!

Pluto's influence will last 23 years. Here's another thing that happened the last time Pluto was in Capricorn...The American Revolutionary War.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by anthbes

AMEN.
I really do not understand the point of all this worry, if the world is to cease to exist 20-12-20120 OH WELL. What could we possibly do to stop it?
Yes if it happens, its going to be horrid, but we are powerless to stop it.
I myself still feel it will be the "end" to something else, either world governments, monetary systems or a new dimension.
I would certainly prefer the end of Govermental Systems

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
The next solar Maximun is not predicted to be between 2012-2013. It is predicted to be May 2013, although this may be knocked back further.

And also, it is forecast that this next Solar Max will be much weaker than previous Solar Maximums, of which we have all experienced many times in our lives.

An international panel of experts led by NOAA and sponsored by NASA has released a new prediction for the next solar cycle. Solar Cycle 24 will peak, they say, in May 2013 with a below-average number of sunspots

As we can see the previous Solar cycle 23 which peaked in the early 2000's was stronger than whats expected in May 2013, and there was no doomsday, no death, and no destruction.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f23a419bd0a6.jpg[/atsimg]

science.nasa.gov...

The article in the OP mentions this -

Back in 2006, solar scientists said the coming peak, known as solar maximum or "solar max," could be 30 to 50 percent stronger than the last one, based on a computer model that looked at how plasma circulates between the sun's equator and its poles

But it fails to mention the later predicitons from 2010 which state that the next Solar Cycle is now expected to be quieter than normal.

There seems to be a barrage of scaremongering articles coming out just now without very much research done.

I'm not saying that the next Solar Max could not cause problems, the potential is there, but I feel we should not be creating such a doomsday scenario, when there is probably more chance of Humans Wiping out Earth than a solar Max.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by freakanature
reply to post by anthbes

AMEN.
I really do not understand the point of all this worry, if the world is to cease to exist 20-12-20120 OH WELL. What could we possibly do to stop it?

Clearly we would assemble a team lead by a bunch of out of work character actors to journey to the centre of the earth in a tube we just invented 20 minutes ago ... oh wait I'm thinking of the Core.

Oh that's right! Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck will save us.

It's just Y2k all over again. I'm hoping we run out of ancient prophecies eventually.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by anthbes
I've only been on ATS for not even a month and I am so sick of doomsday stuff. If they world is going to end, let it. I would much rather spend my time reading news worthy stories about the gulf and Iran than people predicting the end of the world.

the gulf and Iran.....predicting the end of the world.

Strikes me that most threads here make the two things synonymous!

To grantbeed:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Well the scientists cant seem to make up thier minds about what the most likely outcome of the impending solar maximum is going to be. I hear voices screaming blood and thunder, and I hear voices calmly suggesting a non event. They literaly cannot both be right. However even if the worst fears are realised and the sun knocks out all complex electrical systems on the earth guess what? Thats not doomsday. The sun will not out right kill the entire population of the planet in minuites. That would be doomsday. Oh sure, anyone whos in an aircraft, a car, a train, a hospital, or working closely with un insulated electrical items will be at risk, and risk most serious no doubt. Everyone else will keep doing what they always do , except there will be candles instead of bulbs, and legwork instead of horsepower used to move the remainder. Instead of calling a friend to see how they are, one will have to get the hell up and walk and find them. Yes, it will be terrible, people less than completely mobile will be in a bind, but if our community spirit stays strong, then they will not go unaided. If they do go without aid , then we deserve the sorrow and the death toll because you know what that sorrow, and that death toll would mean? That we were weak. We are not weak.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by anthbes

if you don't like em, don't read em!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

If its the worlds time to end, let it, don't worry about it. Get off your butt tomorrow and go do something you've always wanted to. Smile. Enjoy life and be happy.

It's funny. I've posted these exact words pretty much, many times on ATS.
It is something I live by.

That said,
This is a conspiracy THEORY website. Doom and Gloom goes hand in hand with it.

I don't prepare for a supposed NWO (I don't believe in it)
I don't prepare for the sun to wipe us off earth, as I would rather spend my time enjoying my family
I don't think aliens are coming to save us/enslave us/exterminate us.
I post this particular story, as it has both scientific AND conspiracy theory stuff mixed in. The doom and gloom is just an added bonus.

If any of this stuff happens, I'm ready to REACT. But I do live life without much worry. See my first thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks for the replies as well.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I just wanted to get on record somewhere about the cardinal T square and tomorrow potentially being of some sort of significance, and figured it was related to the solar system and the sun. Didn't mean to disrupt your topic.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Don't take things so serious, everyone dies, big deal. Like said live in the now, be happy.
But then again if someone says you house is on fire, don't sit there roasting marshmellows, go check and make sure you insurance is payed up.
Get right with God, if it was your time today would you kring in fear, or say Daddy I home.
I know you have the right ideal, I'm just laughing, happy, I try and help, but I'm not scared of nothing but the Creator and my wife.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
They speak of the extremely rare alignment of planets in 2012 and the sun waking up sending overwhelming amounts of solar energy to Earth in the same year..but what if these two events where to happen at the exact same time, what would the effects be..An interesting observation of mine is that the day NASA announced the sun would have an EMP like effect on the planet in 2013, Discovery channel aired "HEMP Armageddon" the very next day. Its as if they were trying to prepare/warn us.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
There is solar maximums and solar minimums. And with the decrease and almost lack of sunspot activity lately, there are other things to consider. Here is an article that shows how these solar minimums have happened before and how it has a great potential to create a mini ice-age rather than cooking the planet right now. Less solar activity = less heat and solar radiations, and less electromagnetic activity. Our earth is primarily dependent on these things to maintain a normal seasonal thing. If the sun goes straight to solar maximum, then yes we could experience some much hotter and more volatile weather and tectonic anomalies like bigger stronger storms, more earthquakes, droughts, more widespread twisters, ice cap melts, rising ocean levels, and such. BUT!

The sun is still in transition to solar minimum. It cannot go from solar max to solar max. Check out this link and make the call yourself. I personally am not concerned about solar maximum heatstorms as much as I am concerned that we are on the edge of more severe winters and snowstorms. Solar minimums are much more survivable than maximums as long as you know what to expect.
I cannot rule out the events of a maximum event as they do speak of much more intense solar activity when it wakes from its dormancy. That may be a while. In the meantime, just check the link and follow up on that info. Either way, it's time to get some affairs in order.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ATLien

There is no particularly rare "alignment" of planets in 2012.

There is no indication that there will be "overwhelming amounts of solar energy" being sent from the Sun in 2012.

NASA has never "announced the sun would have an EMP like effect on the planet in 2013".

The National Geographic (not Discovery Channel) program was about nuclear weapons, not the Sun.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join