It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malaysia bans political cartoons critical of government

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Malaysia bans political cartoons critical of government

www.heraldsun .com.au

MALAYSIA has banned three works of political cartoons that criticise the government, but one of the artists says he was obligated to highlight issues other cartoonists would not.

The government said the cartoons in two books and a magazine posed a security threat.

Malaysia has banned dozens of publications in recent years, but usually because of sexual content or alleged misrepresentation of Islam, its official religion. But the latest ban is certain to spark complaints that the government is disallowing critical views.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Yes, that's right... In the corrupted system that is the Malaysian Government - drawing cartoons can be seen as a security threat.

It's kind of obvious, when you think about it. Thousands of people will read those cartoons and just want to revolt. The power of the cartoon has never been greater. The crayon is mightier than the sword.

Truly, I have to ask ATS, is there any hope for a brighter future?

How f.....d up do things have to become before people finally decide that they have had enough?

(It's a slow day here today)

www.heraldsun .com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Why does the world still tolerate dictators and tyrants?

Isn't freedom of expression a basic human right? Yes, of course it is.

Governments such as this have removed all human rights.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
reply to post by tezzajw

Um, try posting an anti Muslim joke in the US. South Park tried and was censored. Just a matter of time here. O will not tolerate anyone speaking against him. Look at Joe the plumber. Guy asked one simple question and was destroyed. Fairness doctrine? Shutting down the Internet? Too many ways to get information (sorry, don't recall the exact quote) it's coming, everywhere. You speak your mind, you are censored, you speak against your "ruling elite" you go away.

It's coming, are you fighting back?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Good thread!

This is really important news because when civil liberties are attacked anywhere, they are attacked everywhere.

Cartoon crimes. Coming to a nation near you. If not there already as we speak!

These crack downs are increasing in frequency and we really need to focus all of our energy towards the civil liberties front. It is the central most important battle of them all. Our very freedom.

If you cannot draw a cartoon critical of the government, than you have no freedom at all. The freedom to shut up or go to jail? I call that political oppression.

We have got to turn this thing around right now.

We have to remain positive and not let our fears of a dystopia type future world cause us to collapse in despair. I know it is hard, because I fight it every day.

I thank all of you for CARING. I CARE TOO!

Maybe we WILL make a difference each of us?? I like to think so!

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Malaysia is working hard to improve. The current pm and previous pm have done / are doing much to bring transparency to government and to end corruption in government. The malaysian anti-corruption commissian has been quite effective in regard to catching and prosecuting corrupt officials in recent years. Malaysia is a multi racial/cultural country and works hard to promote harmony among the people. Malaysians are some of the nicest people Ive met and its a beautiful country. As to the cartoon issue most likely the cartoons in question would have been banned for disrupting the harmony between the people of malaysia. Both the current and former pms are well respected by the malaysian people and do much to help them. Once again fail by westerners to understand asia.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Maybe they don't want the truth coming out, something funny will catch too much attention, then everyone will know what's being said.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Up until last year I was working half my time in Malaysia.

The current pm and previous pm are just as corrupt as always....

The good DR M started life as a stall holder....

Check up his and his families current holdings, companies and real estate..

He didn't get THAT wealthy off his PM salary..........

The papers are Goverment controled....

BTW, yes the people are wonderfull...

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra

Originally posted by catwhoknows
reply to post by tezzajw

Um, try posting an anti Muslim joke in the US. South Park tried and was censored. Just a matter of time here. O will not tolerate anyone speaking against him. Look at Joe the plumber. Guy asked one simple question and was destroyed. Fairness doctrine? Shutting down the Internet? Too many ways to get information (sorry, don't recall the exact quote) it's coming, everywhere. You speak your mind, you are censored, you speak against your "ruling elite" you go away.

It's coming, are you fighting back?

Yeah...that's not at all the same. Those are NOT government caused, but socially caused by political correctness or just liberal media bullying. As for the fairness doctrine...a lot of liberals want it passed, but it likely never will (Obama could barely pass healthcare) and the internet "kill switch" is people reading into something that will never be used. (The internet could never be completely shut down...not even a nuke can do it)

[edit on 26-6-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
The only problem with attempting to censor one type of artistic expression is that it usually finds itself expressed in another form. I personally foresee a dramatic surge of graffiti in Malaysia with this latest crackdown.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

True Dr. M was (still is) a corrupt bugger with his fingers in almost every pie. Things have been getting better for the malaysian people since Dr. Ms day.. Though he does try at times to poke his hand back into the pie.. Lol now got me thinking time to make a visit to malaysia to have teh tahrik , roti canai and visit friends .. Are you going to visit malaysia again ?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I'm sure I will...Company had a house just for me north of Johor (Macap) and a condo in Ipoh...

I have many friends still there..

new topics

top topics

join