It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't Ever Catch a Break............

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Not exactly a list of familiar household names but one hell of a way to have to deal with so soon after spending a week burying RWR����.Just what the Bush Administration needs in a continuing string of bad weeks.( Some folks are just lucky like that I guess)

On Friday, they found out they were 7% behind Kerry in I think it was the LA Times poll: now this! And it ain�t even Monday yet�����

Retired Officials Say Bush Must Go

The 26 ex-diplomats and military leaders say his foreign policy has harmed national security. Several served under Republicans.

WASHINGTON � A group of 26 former senior diplomats and military officials, several appointed to key positions by Republican Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, plans to issue a joint statement this week arguing that President George W. Bush has damaged America's national security and should be defeated in November.

The group, which calls itself Diplomats and Military Commanders for Change, will explicitly condemn Bush's foreign policy, according to several of those who signed the document.

"It is clear that the statement calls for the defeat of the administration," said William C. Harrop, the ambassador to Israel under President Bush's father and one of the group's principal organizers.

While not explicitly endorsing Sen. John F. Kerry for president, 26 former diplomats and military officials, including many who served in Republican administrations, have a signed a statement calling for the defeat of President Bush in November. Their names and some of the posts they have held are:
Avis T. Bohlen � assistant secretary of State for arms control, 1999-2002; deputy assistant secretary of State for European affairs 1989-1991.

Retired Adm. William J. Crowe Jr. � chairman, President's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Committee, 1993-94; ambassador to Britain, 1993-97; chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, 1985-89.
Jeffrey S. Davidow � ambassador to Mexico, 1998-2002; assistant secretary of State for Inter-American Affairs, 1996
William A. DePree � ambassador to Bangladesh, 1987-1990.
Donald B. Easum � ambassador to Nigeria, 1975-79.
Charles W. Freeman Jr. � assistant secretary of Defense, International Security Affairs, 1993-94; ambassador to Saudi Arabia, 1989-1992.
William C. Harrop � ambassador to Israel, 1991-93; ambassador to Zaire, 1987-1991.
Arthur A. Hartman � ambassador to the Soviet Union, 1981-87; ambassador to France, 1977-1981.
Retired Marine Gen. Joseph P. Hoar � commander in chief of U.S. Central Command, overseeing forces - Middle East, 1991-94; deputy chief of staff, Marine Corps, 1990-94.
H. Allen Holmes � assistant secretary of Defense for special operations, 1993-99; assistant secretary of State for politico-military affairs, 1986-89.
Robert V. Keeley � ambassador to Greece, 1985-89; ambassador - Zimbabwe, 1980-84.
Samuel W. Lewis � director of State Department policy and planning, 1993-94; ambassador to Israel, 1977-1985.
Princeton N. Lyman � assistant secretary of State for International Organization Affairs, 1995-98; ambassador to South Africa, 1992-95.
Jack F. Matlock Jr.-ambassador to the Soviet Union, 1987-1991; director - European & Soviet Affairs, National Security Council, 1983-86;ambassador-Czechoslovakia,1981-83
Donald F. McHenry � ambassador to the United Nations, 1979-1981.
Retired Air Force Gen. Merrill A. McPeak � chief of staff, U.S. Air Force, 1990-94.
George E. Moose � assistant secretary of State for African affairs, 1993-97; ambassador to Senegal, 1988-91.
David D. Newsom � acting secretary of State, 1980; undersecretary of State for political affairs, 1978-1981; ambassador to Indonesia, 1973-77
Phyllis E. Oakley � assistant secretary of State for intelligence and research, 1997-99.
James Daniel Phillips � ambassador to the Republic of Congo, 1990-93; ambassador to Burundi, 1986-1990.
John E. Reinhardt � professor of political science, University of Vermont, 1987-91; ambassador to Nigeria, 1971-75.
Retired Air Force Gen. William Y. Smith � deputy commander in chief, U.S. European Command, 1981-83.
Ronald I. Spiers � undersecretary-general of the United Nations for Political Affairs, 1989-1992; ambassador to Pakistan, 1981-83.
Michael Sterner � deputy assistant secretary of State for Near East affairs, 1977-1981; ambassador to the United Arab Emirates, 1974-76.
Retired Adm. Stansfield Turner � director of the Central Intelligence Agency, 1977-1981.
Alexander F. Watson � assistant secretary of State for Inter-American affairs, 1993-96; deputy permanent representative to the U.N., 1989-1993. Source: Diplomats and Military Commanders for Change

(www.latimes.com...)

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I can see, that once again. LATimes "shows their luv".
For the Current administration.

However, I wonder why people support Kerry?
Other than, he's not GWB!

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
So what your sayin is if you report the news of what's going on you don't "luv " the Bush Administration if they might be not to the liking of the Administration?????????

Or do it like FAUX NEWS..........never mention it; or lead with the excuse and ending with the "hate" tag placed on the "guilty parties"............

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I wasn't trying to be "profound"

But thanks for elevating me to profundity!

What I mean is, that is just what I would expect from LAtimes.
I know how the inside of a newspaper works..I know it really well.

I generally take a single source piece of info, read it, put it aside in my head, and look elsewhere for other related info..

LATimes has the right to print as they see fit..

[edit on 13-6-2004 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Would you like to comment on the Faux News style of reporting? ..........Like maybe a REAL insiders view of what goes on in their news room???????

And:

BTW

What should the LA Times due when the news confrence is held In re: the 26 sometime this week?

Not attend? Because they aleady scooped the story?????????

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I have no Idea what goes on in the "FAUX" newsroom.
Last I checked, they were not a newspaper..

La times should be present at the news conference. It IS news, isn't it?

I'm Puzzled by the question

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Obtuse! I dson't do well witn obtuse..........so I ain't playing. Here's your ball; I'm going home.

Have a nice whatevea...........

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Sorry,

I this case, obtuse is probably inappropriate.
I think you are upset because I don't buy-in
to your point of view. That doesn't make me hard-headed.

Have a nice day.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Add these to your "luv" List:

(news.google.com...:www.washingtonpost.com%2Fwp-dyn%2Farticles%2FA37557-2004Jun12.html&filter=0)

..........and the same back at you too!

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
LOL.

Yep, there is the story..Like I said, it IS news.

Some of them are from the Same AP feed, So, I'd count that as one.
My point is that, every news outlet has an agenda, like it or not.

Like I said..I would expect the LAtimes to report it JUST the way they did..
No Surprise here.

26 people of equivalent "rank" could be found to say just the opposite.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
What then will you say when Wash Times and Newsmax covers the story?

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Wash times and newsmax..I won't say anything different.

But I will know that they didn't "wet themselves" out of joy, for breaking the story..

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Hmm, this isn't the first time this has happened. Just back in May around 60 U.S ex-diplomats wrote an open letter to Bush
criticising his Middle East policy, just a few days after 52 British ex-diplomats wrote to Tony Blair
describing the Iraq policies as "doomed" and "naive" and criticising his backing of the U.S

[edit on 13-6-2004 by kegs]

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Now he's a mind reader................

How is you know what they did in the news room when they got the news report of the 26 folks that 'went over the hill' so to speak.............

You�re getting to the thin ice friend............

You're opening remarks were untenable to start with ���but you must be one of those too stubborn to admit the miscue.

Admit the error � use it as a demonstration of your humanity � and let�s move on��..

I�m not the type that�s into humiliation��..but I hate to see folks say or do dumb things���

I have lots of experience in that area and wished someone had given me a helping hand along the way���.. Like I said, �give it up� and move on���.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   

You talking to me gmcnulty?
I'm no mind reader.
I just extrapolated my own experiences, and applied them
to a known Liberal News Outlet, nothing more!!

There is no error for me to admit.
But I appreciate your concern.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
gmcnulty,
I'm wondering what you think will be the media coverage comparisons of what you are presenting verses those Naval, active and retired, personnel that served with Kerry who stated that Kerry was unfit to lead this nation as commander-n-chief?

You also note that several on that list were appointed by Reagan and Bush Sr., you are indeed correct, but how many of them were appointed by Bill Clinton? Also seems to me to be a continued play of brinkmanship, in that Kerry knew and knows of this? I'm noticing that your list is missing a few names, namely Wes Clark:
Kerry: We Must Strengthen our Military to Meet Today�s Challenges

Announces Senior Military Advisory Group of Retired Admirals and Generals
---snip---
Admiral William Crowe (USN, Ret.)
Former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
General John Shalikashvili (USA, Ret.)
Former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
General Tony McPeak (USAF, Ret.)
Former US Air Force Chief of Staff
Admiral Stansfield Turner, (USN, Ret.)
Former Director, Central Intelligence Agency
General Joseph Hoar (USMC, Ret)
Former Commander-in-Chief, US Central Command
General Wesley Clark (USA, Ret.)
Former Supreme Allied Commander Europe
General Johnnie Wilson, (USA, Ret.)
Former Commander, US Army Material Command
LTG Daniel Christman (USA, Ret.)
Former Superintendent US Military Academy
LTG General Kennedy (USA, Ret.)
Former Deputy Army Chief of Staff for Intelligence
Vice Admiral Lee Gunn (USN, Ret.)
Former Inspector General, US Navy

I wish them the best of luck in what they hope to do.

seekerof

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I don't like Bush's lies and I don't like Ashcroft period, but I also don't like it when John Kerry uses the Reagan death to critize Bush.
Kerry critized Bush's stance on stem cell research by saying that research could have been used to help Reagan's Alzeheimer's. I wonder how thats making its way around the News outlets.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Is there something I'm missing here?

Can I ask for a Point of Information?

You suggest there is a list of Military - "Naval, active and retired, personnel that served with Kerry who stated that Kerry was unfit to lead this nation as commander-n-chief?"

And then present a link to the list of military folks............a few questions:

1. Are you saying/suggesting the list presented refers back to those you spoken of who don�t support Kerry?

2. Could you expand on the importance of what President appointed who? I miss the importance of what you are questioning and how it might matter?

As far as Wes Clark's name being missing............I really can't answer; plus I rather try to avoid of speculation

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
gmcnulty,
Sure I can expand on this for you. Let me rephrase my question, since it is a worthy question:

Will this news piece, that you are presenting above, recieve the same amount of press coverage as those naval/military personnel, "colleagues", that stated that Kerry was unfit to be commander-in-chief?
As to what I am referencing, this may help:

Hundreds of former commanders and military colleagues of presumptive Democratic nominee John Kerry are set to declare in a signed letter that he is "unfit to be commander-in-chief." They will do so at a press conference in Washington on Tuesday.
---snip---
"We have 19 of 23 officers who served with [Kerry]. We have every commanding officer he ever had in Vietnam. They all signed a letter that says he is unfit to be commander-in-chief," O'Neill said.
---snip---
"The ranks of the people signing [the letter] range from admiral down to seaman, and they run across the entire spectrum of politics, specialties, and political feelings about the Vietnam War," he added.

Kerry 'Unfit to be Commander-in-Chief,' Say Former Military Colleagues

seekerof

Ra

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
is suddenly THE liberal media when they cover a real news story that tells the truth about this bunch of thieves!!!

Amazing!!! Southern California is almost completely republican for those outside the goldenstate who may be wondering!!!

All us bleeding heart liberals live in the Northern and Central parts of the state, where we actually read alternate news sources that may actually give us real, truthful news!!!

Unlike the faux news or as my 9 year old son put it oh so well, the ALL BUSH NEWS CHANNEL!!!

I SEE A NEW CALL SIGNCOMING... ABNC - ALL BUSH ALL THE TIME. HEY WHO NEEDS THE TRUTH ANYWAY. NOT WHEN THE FAUX NEWS FOLKS CAN FABRICATE REALLY COOL SPIN FOR THEIR PREZIDENT SELECT!!!!

VOTE FOR TRUE REALITY!!! KERRY IN 2004!!!!!!

BRING REAL DEMOCRACY BACK TO AMERICA AND LET FAUX NEWS GO BACK TO AUSTRALIA, EVEN THOUGH MY AUSSIE FRIENDS SAY THEY DON'T LIKE RUPERT ANYMORE THEN WE DO!!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join