It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't eat the corn!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
On Fathers day my daughter brought home some Sweet White corn from the local I.G.A. store to go with our meal of Rib eye steak and all the goodies that go with it.
After doing the grilling and getting everything ready for the meal, i put the corn in the steamer for 5 minutes,(we like it crispy here) We all sat down for a most pleasant meal and all started eating away, when i got to my piece of corn , I took a big ole bite and went "YUK!" this corn taste like dirt! remember, it was sweet white corn, so my kid took a bite of hers and said the same thing, YUK!..it was really bad tasting. I then said to my kid, hey, i have some from our garden still in the freezer from last harvest, want me to get some out? sure , she said. After steaming MY corn for 5 mins. we tried it, it was awesome tasting.. Hmm, i was not sure what to think about this situation. On Monday i went back to the local I.G.A store and got some sweet Yellow corn and took it home to give it a try,YUK! it taste like dirt too..so i went back and got an ear of just the white and yellow corn(not the sweet kind). same thing, they all taste like dirt(gardener here, i know what dirt tastes like.lol) so, I will wait , i guess ,until the new harvest is ready for human consumption before i buy from anyone around here, usually get some good corn from one of our local guys. My point is this, the store bought corn is really bad this year and tastes like crap,Probably Monsanto brand

Anyone from different areas try any corn yet? let me know what you found and if it was o.k. I live in Eastern Washington...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Did you ask the store where it came from? Locally grown, imported?

It seems awfully early for corn to be in season in your neck of the woods. Mine was never ready until after the 4th of July in Illinois.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Corn's not ready here in Georgia yet, I don't think? But we also had some for Father's Day and it was excellent.

It was definitely from the U.S. because I check for that, but I can't remember where it was from...sorry. My guess would be Florida.

Are you sure your IGA didn't get a batch of cow corn by mistake? That's pretty rough stuff.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Nope, i did not ask.i should have though, most I.G.A's have a steady supply of corn this time of year, and last year it wasn't bad at all.

this year..wow..bad tasting stuff..

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
As a rule I never eat or grow that sweet white corn. It never tastes good to me. I prefer a heartier, deep yellow corn instead.

Yes, it's rather early for corn on the cob. Any corn in my area that is close to even being harvested will taste like crap. Too much rain and it forces the corn to grow too fast and it doesn't mature properly. We'll harvest towards the end of July into August, providing I get to it before the racoons.

I saw some folks around here planted in April. Way too early. What were they thinking? lol. Lucky me, there's a really old guy who lives near me. I copy what he does. lol. He always has a good crop of everything.

Dirty tasting corn. I suspect it was grown too early. Ask the produce manager where it came from. Some people always try to push the season. And if your fruits and vegies aren't produced locally, then they are picked too early so they ripen on the way to the stores. Vine and plant ripened always tastes better than picked too early stuff. My opinion, of course.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Hmm..never thought that, could have been feed corn, i think i will go in and ask..thanks for the heads up!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Did you wash the corn after you shucked it? I basically never have done that...grew up on a farm and I'd eat it corn and other veggies right out of the garden raw. I'd pluck tomatoes off the vine, rub it on my dirty shirt and then eat it. None of veggies I ever ate like that tasted like dirt...even without being washed. Of course, that was a long time ago...before all the genetically modified veggies that's planted this day in age.

But with all the GMO veggies they have now, maybe it would be a good idea to wash the corn after shucking it if you're not already doing that.

I bought some organic corn-on-the-cob from Whole Foods last week, by the way and it tasted really good although it was just a little tough after I cooked it.

The organic corn-on-the-cob I purchased from them a few weeks ago I ate raw...used it in a salsa. It was the best corn I've in a long time, and it was very tender too.

I'm not sure where the corn was from though...sorry...can't remember.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I just ate my first corn of the season today, and it seemed to me like the corn had a weird bitter aftertaste, with every bite. I thought I might have been imagining it, but now I saw this thread and am wondering if that aftertaste is what you mean by "tasting like dirt". I'm in Massachusetts, by the way.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I'm from Idaho, and I had some sweetcorn on the cob the other day from Walmart (I know, I know, Walmart is awful, but it was at a friends bbq)

It wasn't bad. Could have been a little more ripe.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Not sure where it was from but as a RULE, I like to by all my fruits and vegetables from local sources EVERY chance I get!!

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by svpwizard

same here.but as it was Fathers Day, we got what was available and boy were we dissapointed..

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'm in Colorado and had my first sweet corn of the year the other day, got it from Vitamin Cottage, it was organic, and it was really good. I'm pretty sure it was locally grown.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Perhaps it was the new corn that ConAgra worked on last year for a roll out this year... it was a super GMO type that could absorb 1000 times its weight in co2.

Delicious, GMO corn.... this Frankenfood was supposed to be ready in April.

Basically, at the grocer, there is no clue whether or not the corn is GMO/ hybrid or open-pollinated variety unless it is clearly marked as such, and asking someone working in produce will usually reward your effort with a blank stare.

Buy at the Farmer's Markets, etc... until your home garden is ready, though I agree that it is way too early for corn... must have been the kind shipped in from quite a ways away.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

yeah i noticed my gardens are not doing well this year last year was good

new topics

top topics

join