It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guanajuato Mummies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
In Guanajuato, Mexico the soil is perfect to make mummies. People buried their dead at the local cemetery for many years. Then, between 1865 and 1958 a law required people to pay a grave tax. People who were poor could not pay, so the bodies of loved one were disinterred. It was then that the mummies were discovered.
Soil conditions and a dry climate caused the bodies to dry out before they could decompose. The collection of mummies includes the worlds smallest mummy, a child who died at birth.
There is even a holiday, "Day of the Dead" or "Dia de los Muertos," where the dead are honored with special activities and even special mummy candy.
You might enjoy visiting the mummy museum, or just checking it out on line at www.mummytombs.com...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c0083cb7fd19.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ec84312bd895.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
What a great find! I've always been interested in natural mummies - since I was a kid and saw pictures of the bog people. Thanks for the link!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I've always been fascinated with those MexiMummies.

I know a few folks from Guanajuato but they don't elaborate much when I ask them about the mummy museum.

Here is one of my childhood heroes kickin' some major mummy arse.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
CleverName
I visited Campeche for a week and learned of the mummies. I would like to go to Guanajuato some day.

Alxandro

I loved that clip!
El Santo is almost as much fun as Godzilla.

I love the old stuff. The guy in suit had the BEST expressions!
Maybe they know enough about American culture to think you wouldn't understand celebrations where they parade mummies in the street and sell mummy candy. It's just too bizzare for most Americans

top topics

join