It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans kill Senate jobless aid measure (unemployment extension)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Couldn't we safely substitute the "Legislature and Executive Brach" for "Republican" and get a more accurate reflection of the truth? Both parties (pity we really only have two...erm one) seem equally as guilty to me.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
Did they vote down an extension of unemployment benefits, or did they vote down this:

It also included dozens of tax breaks sought by business lobbyists, and tax increases on domestically produced oil and on investment fund managers.

If they wouldn't try to tack on garbage like that, I'd be more sympathetic to the Democrats' argument. As it stands, it looks like they're trying to pass a tax bill and disguise it as something else.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by vor78]

You're kidding right? A Republican never met a tax cut for business they didn't like.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Its interesting to me that people are saying that the government can create jobs...

The feds cant create jobs...who pays the salary for govt workers? tax payers...who pays taxes? private industry workers...If you have more govt workers than private industry workers then there will be a short fall that gets deeper and deeper every day.

The way to fix it is to provide huge tax breaks for small business for a year. If small business has less overhead they can afford to hire more people.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It's just a thought but:

No check -- no money !

No money -- no buying !

No buying -- no taxes !

No taxes -- no pay day for senators !

At least I still have my vote -- for now !

I can't help but wonder if congress has thought of this ?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by hdutton

lmao sure doesn't seem like it. but remember who they get their orders from too. damn plutocrats. and they didn't give a flying fish about the tax base eroding when they shipped all our jobs away.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
JUST what America needs- a PERMANENT unemployed class. Oh, never mind!

Sic Semper Tyrannis!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Finally the Republicans do something that will help the people out. I'm all for this way to go GOP!!!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Did they vote down an extension of unemployment benefits, or did they vote down this:

It also included dozens of tax breaks sought by business lobbyists, and tax increases on domestically produced oil and on investment fund managers.

If they wouldn't try to tack on garbage like that, I'd be more sympathetic to the Democrats' argument.

Funny. You would of thought if that was genuine they would have said so instead of...

Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY) has worked single handedly to stop the Unemployment Extension from succeeding and according to two Democratic aides on the Senate floor, Bunning muttered "tough s---"

www.associatedcontent.com...

To all those unemployed...the GOP says..."Tough Sh*&"

Rand Paul urged Americans who have been unemployed for many months to consider returning to the workforce in less desirable jobs and accept less money

www.associatedcontent.com...

McConnell said. "Their commitment to deficit spending trumps their desire to help the unemployed."

www.upi.com...

Funny that deficit spending wasn't a priority when Pres. GWB was in office and the GOP voted to raise the spending cap some 30 times...

It is this simple...they want the American people to suffer as long as a Democrat is in the whitehouse. Politics over the welfare of the people.

And as far as your BS...

It includes tax breaks for RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT FIRMS THAT KEEP JOBS IN THE US AS OPPOSED TO OUTSOURCING THEM ABROAD....Oh the horror.

Taxing oil companies? Fund Managers? who we bailed out even as we ourselves were losing our jobs and homes....this is who the GOP proudly stands with!!!? Over the American people?????

This bill includes funds for Police, Fire-fighters, Teachers across the country...all who will be laid off absent this bill.

Enough already..

The unemployed are not lazy or irresponsible. They are just unemployed during the worst economic disaster since the great depression and are trying desperately to make ends meet and feed and shelter thier families until things improve and they can find a job.

Perhaps if a few GOP politicians in Washington were to join them they might understand that better...

[edit on 25-6-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by LibertyLover

Yes, because only poor people, provide jobs. Oh, I'd NEVER want to have to work, for an evil rich person- sitting home, watching TV and eating cheetos, and getting my weekly welfare check, is MUCH more personally fulfilling! (Hint- I'm one of those evil small business owners, who ACTUALLY PROVIDE JOBS). I've NEVER forced, ANYONE, to work for me. I HAVE had an (ex) employee, forcefully removed, once.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
This is actually great for Republicans. With an out of control national debt austerity measures are going to have to happen somewhere because we are headed the way of Greece and Iceland. Unemployment benefits running over 99 weeks is rediculous. It would have tacked an extra $30billion+ dollars onto our debt to be paid off by those currently working. If you can't find a job in two years then you either aren't looking lower on the totem pole, weren't trying your hardest to find a job from the beginning (beause you thought to yourself free vacation for a little bit), weren't planning ahead, and so on.

I'm tired of the leechers who lived above their means, didn't save, had no plan of action outside their living of week to week off a paycheck. Three years ago when I was making $24,000 a year with zero benefits I was saving $6,000 a year. Now, with that salary doubled I'm saving $12,000+ a year. Sorry, but it's hard to have sympathy for the starry eyed who buy their ipads and iphone 4s when they are thousands of dollars of debt and on unemployment. I know I'm generalizing and there truly are people who are legitimately hurting, but in a recession / depression era after being aided by the government for 99 weeks it's just going to have to be rough. The nation can't afford to continue to support people not working with a 13trillion dollar debt for all eternity.

The people on unemployment for 99 weeks could have recieved an assoicateds degree in that amount of time. They could have planned a strategy for starting their own business with their area of expertise. They could have placed numerous other plans in place. Unemployment should spur innovation, entrepreneurship, creatifivity, and work ethic. However, I fear it's only creating more time in front of the boob tube with the way people feel entitled in this nation today.

Simple facts of the matter are:
-We need to slice about 30% of our government beuracracy based jobs and cut pay to the rest.
-We need to be fiscally responsible people instead of using credit to throw ourselves into debt
-We need to become a people who rely more on each other than the hand of the government.
-Axe the unions forcing salaries double the amount they are worth. (Case in point: $72 an hour machine line wokers in GM).
-We need to get immigration under control so that those that are desperate can work in one way or another and at least feed themselves. (11 million estimated illegals in this nation at this moment in time leeching jobs and government money)
-Have one parent be stay-at-home with the children. This would increase family values, provide a more stable environment for kids to grow up in, would teach kids homebuilding responsibilites, and would cut down on unemployment as fewer jobs would be needed. Sure, families would have to cut back a little more and might not have their $500,000 dream home, but it would have many quality of life enhancing factors that may outwiegh the dream home.
-Realize that we aren't going to be able to live at the same standard we have been for the last few decades.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
What had happened to the Republican party?? Seriously.

What had happened to that great political party that gave America noble men such as Abe Lincoln, T. Roosevelt. Coolidge, Hoover, Eisenhower, amongst many other leaders in the lower ranks?

Why had the Republican party sold out the common masses???

It seems more and more as each day passes, it reveals the Republican party are puppets of the NWO and serving their agenda.

After getting US taxpayers monies from bailouts, the NWO are satisfied with their money back and safely hoarded up, so now the masses can starve or die as they please. Cuts in spending, in everything, with no or little job creation and little money circulating, the masses will be doom, not that the NWO cares.

Why had the Republican party, elected officials that are supposed to represent its constituents, sold out???

If they view that giving out money is only mollycoodling and spoiling the masses, but yet, what is their solution for the massive unemployment and hardships faced by the masses who want to work but cant find jobs or jobs that can even sustain them on food, let alone a roof over their heads? 5 bucks an hour and with no overtime isnt gonna put food on his one single person's table.

Where are the job creation plans? Where are the rich? Even Bill Gates alone has more than 16 billion obscene dollars stashed away somewhere, and he is just one of the obscenely rich folks.

Today we learn science could create bionics prosthetics and even artificial lungs. To create one such piece would be astronomically high for someone who needs it. But with automation and quantity, the cost would be affordable to even a tea lady.

And on such broad economic scale as well as scale of economies, it can create jobs with reasonable sustainable salaries, considering the fact that millions are physically challenged in the world and would need one affordable piece.

And it was american research and tech that created it, and need not or should not be outsource to other nations to produce such parts and benefit/enslave other nation's workers with low unsustainable salaries.

What had happened to the once great republican party????!!!!! How could they with conscience deny help to fellow americans suffering, not from laziness but from lack of jobs or sustainable salaries to feed even himself, let alone his family???!!!!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
So we can give trillions in bailout money to "to-big-to-fail" businesses (what happened to capitalism and survival of the fittest?), so we can hand out million dollar bonuses to people who dont need it. But we cant bailout the hard workers who have been laid off, due to the crumbling economy, which just so happens to be caused by these huge corporations that gambled with the livelyhood of the everyone else.

Is that where we are now?

When will the madness cease?

when will we stand up for ourselves and say "Goddamit, Im a human being, my life has value" (the network)

It becomes more apparent everyday that the goal of "our government" is to collapse this country and replace it with something brave and new.

Heres how to FIX this economy TOMORROW-

Those earning less than $34,300 paid only 5.2 percent of all federal taxes

So if the fed can reduce their spending by just a measily 5%, we can eliminate the tax burden of the lowest 40% of americans. In turn, These families would create a BOON in spending. but thats not even the best part. What I believe is the best part is that it would bring back our confidence of this country/economy.

And thats really the key to a good economy. CONFIDENCE!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by bagari

Actually when you get laid off in any state you may qualify UPTO 26 weeks of unemployment and once you pass that then you can qualify for Tier 1, 2, and 3 which are all UPTO 13 weeks of extended benefits each and after that it's up to your state if they offer state emergency extended benefits like mine for instance. I have been on unemployment since the end of March of 2008. But I am taking advantage of the offer of going to school an receiving unemployment for this. They offered upto 2 years of unemployment for those under approved training and I have about 4 weeks left of my XMT training and I should be able to get a job here soon. Anywho, thats the low down on the ding dong, but now NOBODY will recieve any TIER extensions. Only state emergency extensions if the state still offers it!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Um, maybe the Republicans who were the primary force against TARP's $700,000,000,000.00 and the hundreds of billions of dollars for the bailouts, would have been more willing to aid the unemployed if the government hadn't already spent all its money on big banks and corporations?

What would unemployment extention do now? Dig us a deeper hole and just prolong the inevitable downfall of our economy. 99 weeks of government aid is enough time for an associates degree, small business planning, finding jobs lower on the totem pole, and many other things that include creativity, entrepreneurship, and innovation.

Sorry, I don't want to give the impression I'm standing up for the Republicans. Both Dems and Republicans are equally resonsible for this mess we are in economically. I'm just defending the cutting off of benefits at 99 weeks.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by Bugman82]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
If the oil companies want tax breaks or subsidies, even when they show record profits the GOP is there to always help their campaign contributors.

But when the working man needs help, it's "sorry, we can't afford it"

www.grist.org...

[edit on 25-6-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Not sure if anyone's posted about this yet but the reason it was shot down was because Dems refused to cut equivalent spending in other areas to offset of the cost of extending the benefits.

You guys do realize that it's our money they're talking about spending right? If you're that worried about it - how about you go find someone's who's about to lose their benefits and start supporting them then?

THE GOVERNMENT IS SPENDING OUR MONEY - they don't make any money other than taxing us.

AND - just for the record - there is a large percentage of people on unemployment now because they make more money at that then they would getting a job.

Rather than work 2-3 jobs to make up the difference they'd rather sit and suck on the teet of Uncle Sam while they wait for the "management position".

Hell if Jack Abramoff can make delicious pizzas - why can't half the people on unemployment?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This was done for one reason only. In an attempt to make reublicans look bad, because Dems are panicking the closer it gets to November.

They knew by adding all the pork that republicans would vote it down, and they had every intent to play it out just like this so they could cry from the mountain tops how terrible the republicans are and attempt to sway some votes back to the dems.

You notice they talk a lot about what republicans voted down - the unemployment extensions, but to learn "the rest of the story", you have to actually look into it yourself and find out there is a lot more than meets the eye. But the Dems won't tell you that. It was all sensationalism against republicans.

They did the same thing with the Military Defense bill. The Dems play real dirty politics, but at least some people are waking up and seeing the games for what they are.

And no, neither party cares about a damn one of us, we are enslaved to make them money to play against each other in what is effectively a chess game to see who gets to line their pockets the deepest.

The way Obama is handling this presidency is almost guaranteeing him two things:

1. A black man will never get within 500 miles of the White House ever again

2. The Dems won't either

It is almost as if Obama is doing everything in his power to not only destroy this country but to destroy the Democrat party with it. He is doing a damn good job, too.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by Libertygal]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

If they wouldn't try to tack on garbage like that, I'd be more sympathetic to the Democrats' argument. As it stands, it looks like they're trying to pass a tax bill and disguise it as something else.

Just to add, its retarded bull **** like this that makes me despise the Democratic party. They know the GOP won't go for those tax provisions. That's exactly why they put it in there. They know that when the GOP blocks it, they can turn around and say 'oh, those evil Republicans are trying to take money away from the poor and unemployed!'

Its stupid, manipulative garbage politics.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by vor78]

I'd like to see the OP comment on Vor's post about these tax breaks. The OP seems quick to blame Senate Republicans but ignores the fact that these tax breaks exist in the bill. This makes voting "No" on the cloture vote entirely relevant and sensible.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
That was a serious post about jobs up there, by the way.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join