It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans kill Senate jobless aid measure (unemployment extension)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The nation can not keep bailing out the unemployment for ever without the creation of new meaningful jobs, regardless of what the federal government say service jobs are not going to help the nation get the welfare state is getting into right now

Any new job creation will be minimal at best UNLESS WE RAISE TARIFFS.

ALl of this other BS is meaningless. Fair tax, Flat tax, Vat tax....NONE OF IT WILL WORK.

Middle America is collapsing because we don't protect our manufacturing industries and we don't protect our wages with tariffs!!!!

The rest is fodder. ALL OF IT.

And while everyone likes to hammer the unemployed....Republicans have NO PROBLEM DEFICIT SPENDING ON WAR...nor giving ISRAEL BILLIONS OF DOLLARS....nor have they had any problem spending for the most part of 30 years. We are spending 30 billion A YEAR IN AFGHANISTAN.

ARE WE PAYING FOR THAT???? AND YOU GUYS WANT TO DUMP ON THE UNEMPLOYED????

TO hell with you guys. God forbid you actually take out the anger on the TOO BIG TOO FAIL BANKS THAT STILL EXIST AND HAVE ACTUALLY GOTTEN LARGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But anyway, I do agree with some of the comments posted in the thread....they could have easily just made it an unemployment extension bill without the other stuff which they could have done later.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by David9176]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
It's a sad fact but it's still true.

We have NO money to continue funding unemployment.

They are refusing to pass a budget because if you take away all other programs, Obamacare alone will put this country in the red.

It's like the economy. We extended the life of the failing corporations with the bail out. It only extended the pain. If we had let it fail from the start, we'd already be on the way to recovering.

As it stands now, we are in the pause before the ride takes the straight down plunge. It was coming regardless. Just buckle up and keep all arms and legs in the ride at all times.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

We have NO money to continue funding unemployment.

True...but before we cut unemployment spending we should end both wars and close all military bases.

Then we should cut all corporate tax breaks.

Why in god's name all of you want to hammer those who are struggling when in comparison to the craziness that is happening...THIS MONEY IS NOTHING.

BP MAKES BILLIONS EACH YEAR. ROGER MURDOCH IS WORTH BILLIONS. GEORGE SOROS...ALL OF EM.

Quit crapping ALL OVER THE FELLOW COUNTRYMEN THAT YOU ALL CLAIM YOU GIVE SUCH A GREAT DAMN ABOUT.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
[edit on 24-6-2010 by David9176]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
It's all laughable everyone arguing over whether they should cut off unemployment benefits like they have some moralistic high ground. The criminals have run this country into the ground, spend trillions on illegal wars all over the world including the drug war. They steal our gold and substitute a fake fiat currency in its place that they can inflate and deflate at will stealing all the wealth of the nation, and people are whining about someone getting an extension on unemployment even though the money was stolen from their pay-checks for ten, twenty, or even thirty or more years.... Sigh!

I can't wait for it all to collapse but in the meantime they ought to help people who are out of work. Yeah sure they can go find a job flipping burgers or greeting at wallymart. but that won't pay the bills. Everyone knows most people on unemployment supplement it with under the table work it is the only way they can get by.

I say extend the benefits indefinitely for folks so they can survive! They conjure the money out of thin air anyway, it doesn't come from your taxes like most people think. (look up the grace commission reports) Republicans don't give a damn anymore then democrats. It's all a dog and pony show to keep people divided. They both suck and have ruined this country. Get over the "dems vs pubs" BS and grow up and get prepared while you can cause this can't go on for ever!

[edit on 24-6-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Personally, I am completely in favor of extending unemployment benefits. I just don't like the games that are being played, and you're right, the tactics are all about keeping people divided. They need to strip everything else out and have an up or down vote on just the benefits. The rest of this junk is just a prime example of why it takes forever to get anything meaningful done in DC.

link   
reply to post by David9176

Exactly, wars will not be underfunded because this is all the result of the influences of private profiteers or war, the blood money needs to keep coming to feed the private war machine.

But this comes at the expenses of the tax payer, this what happens when a nation run by corporate greed drops the burden of the debt into the tax payer, including the wealthy elite loses

How long can this keep going? I tell you only when the comfortable Americans start to miss their pension checks, SS and welfare.

That is when the crap will hit the ceiling.

link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
well i was for the extension but against the tax breaks and other pork barrel crap.

hopefully it gets re-written without all the garbage in it.

I am about to run out of unemployment insurance in a week or so... and well yea sucks for me i suppose!

But oh well, i know others are in worse position then i am. I hope for the best, and expect the worst... and yes as jobs are lost and people lose these benefits, crime does go up.

Look at the 80's.

This is way bigger then crime going up. Like I said before it could tear this country apart from the inside out. Millions loosing everything all at once. This nation could not take it at this point in time.

It makes little sense lets not increase our deficit but sacrifice the very sovereignty of the nation? It is that big and if you truly look at what is at stake you will see it.

If they don't get something passed I would prepare for the worst and pray for the best. This is bigger then war or oil or banks failing. Banks don't need to eat people do.

It funny because you read all the world are ending threads on ATS. This one is the real deal.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Another thing people don't consider about these unemployment extensions, is that if those people don't have money to spend, it's going to cause somebody else down the line to loose a job, too!

Money makes the world go 'round.

If stores are no longer getting money from people on unemployment, there goes the stockers job, or the cashiers job......so on, so on......

And here comes more home foreclosures, too!

If this doesn't pass, things could get even more ugly, quicker!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
If I may be a bit cynical, I feel that part of the reason the Republicans voted against it was to increase desperation and suffering. With the hope that with more people suffering, the more likely they will throw out those in power.

Likewise, one might say that Democrats hoped by extending the unemployment, they would retain votes.

Both are probably true.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Kaploink]

link   
Most democrats voted for cloture because they had the most amount of pork on the line.

Top recipients for ALL supporting interest groups

Name Amount Received
Rep. Mary Jo Kilroy [D, OH-15] $255,023
Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick [D, AZ-1] $202,150
Rep. Betsy Markey [D, CO-4] $184,049
Rep. Allyson Schwartz [D, PA-13] $179,127
Rep. Niki Tsongas [D, MA-5] $146,150
Rep. Suzanne Kosmas [D, FL-24] $136,398
Rep. Deborah Halvorson [D, IL-11] $126,100
Rep. Chellie Pingree [D, ME-1] $118,100
Rep. Melissa Bean [D, IL-8] $115,050
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords [D, AZ-8] $110,280

Those opposing the bill didn't have much pork to worry about.

Top recipients for ALL opposing interest groups

Name Amount Received
Rep. Erik Paulsen [R, MN-3] $13,700
Rep. Michele Bachmann [R, MN-6] $7,400
Rep. Lamar Smith [R, TX-21] $6,500
Rep. John Kline [R, MN-2] $4,800
Rep. Michael McCaul [R, TX-10] $2,300
Rep. Ralph Hall [R, TX-4] $2,000
Rep. Mike Pence [R, IN-6] $1,500
Rep. Ted Poe [R, TX-2] $1,000
Rep. Jerrold Nadler [D, NY-8] $1,000
Rep. Dan Burton [R, IN-5] $1,000

www.opencongress.org...

link   
reply to post by hawkiye

If you truly don't like the way this country is run, and I agree with you, then the fastest way to get the people to take action is to piss them off.

Throwing money at it is a band-aid on an underlying problem. As long as they keep printing money and throwing minimal amounts at the public it will only quell the dissent and allow them to continue business as normal.

I agree it hurts. Trust me, if anyone knows how bad it hurts, it's me. I've scraped by in the margins for the past 4 years.

The question is do you fight to keep the system on life support knowing it will never function, or do you let it run it's natural course and die?

The crash that will ensue is inevitable. Either now, or down the road. Why put it off any longer? Every minute they drag this collapse out will be a month longer the recovery takes.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by PayMeh]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
Another thing people don't consider about these unemployment extensions, is that if those people don't have money to spend, it's going to cause somebody else down the line to loose a job, too!

Money makes the world go 'round.

If stores are no longer getting money from people on unemployment, there goes the stockers job, or the cashiers job......so on, so on......

And here comes more home foreclosures, too!

If this doesn't pass, things could get even more ugly, quicker!

Exactly right this is not play money it is going for food and shelter basic survival. I wonder why people don't see how this could truly lead to very very bad things. Millions loosing everything all at once HELLO .

I say it will take a month maybe two before the stress will reach a point of no return. It also amazes me the people who do not see the implications of this.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

This brings another issue, in a nation like ours that depend on consumer spending how can the economy survive.

But then again most of the money of the bailouts that the government has invested in the nation to boost spending confidence ends up over sea.

As America gets most of its good imported, so the bailouts are supporting other nations economy not the US economy at the end.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

At this point congress has extended benefits to 99 weeks. As hard as finding work is there are jobs available just not the kind of jobs people want. My next question what has these people done to retool themselves to find work? I was laid off my job about 2 years ago now took me 6 months to find a new one.

I didn't stop there though i also went back to college completed an associates degree since then on top of my masters.Mostly to add some needed computer skills. If you sit around you will become obsolete! This is going to sound cold and trust me i sympathize go from making 80k a year to 256.00 a week unemployment it hurt. If you have not found work in almost 2 years like many people, Your not going to find work until you get the proper motivation. Id say not having money coming in is very good motivation.Some people only move forward when forced to do so. But my god how long do you think tax payers can afford to pay you to sit at home!!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

And that is only the money that is accounted for, the amounts of under the table funds or the so call "soft money" is the one that we will never see or account for.

link   
Any federal spending connected to unemployment is unconstitutional.

Glad to see it shot down. The last thing we need is the feds blowing more of our money on unconstitutional programs.

link   

Originally posted by PayMeh
reply to post by hawkiye

If you truly don't like the way this country is run, and I agree with you, then the fastest way to get the people to take action is to piss them off.

Throwing money at it is a band-aid on an underlying problem. As long as they keep printing money and throwing minimal amounts at the public it will only quell the dissent and allow them to continue business as normal.

I agree it hurts. Trust me, if anyone knows how bad it hurts, it's me. I've scraped by in the margins for the past 4 years.

The question is do you fight to keep the system on life support knowing it will never function, or do you let it run it's natural course and die?

The crash that will ensue is inevitable. Either now, or down the road. Why put it off any longer? Every minute they drag this collapse out will be a month longer the recovery takes.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by PayMeh]

So you would rather have this country die? This makes no sense?

Why not make some jobs for people and then the problem will take care of itself? Cutting off the people holding on by threads is not the answer. It will lead to very bad things in this country I fear.

link   
reply to post by marg6043

It wasn't that long ago that only one parent had to work. Now both have to work and most likely have to pay for day care (Another expense) just to make ends meet.

Our standard of living has been crushed and we have kept it alive through debt while all of our manufacturing has left the country.

WE CAN'T CREATE JOBS WHEN WE CAN'T COMPETE WITH SLAVE LABOR!!!!

You can drop taxes to zero and WE STILL CAN'T DO IT.

People need to pull their GD heads out of their asses and start looking at real solutions and why this has happened.

Trashing the VICTIMS who are losing everything pisses me off. Many have lost their homes WHILE they were on unemployment...many of whom have families and are wondering how in the hell they are going to get themselves out of this mess with the system working against them.

I'm sick of the "high and mighty" bunch of asswipes on this website.

GO AHEAD AND REPEAT ALL THE BS ON TELEVISION....while at the same time BITCHING ABOUT HOW YOU HATE IT.

To hell with it marge.

If people in this country can't stand up for those in their own country....well then we deserve to fall.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek
Any federal spending connected to unemployment is unconstitutional.

Glad to see it shot down. The last thing we need is the feds blowing more of our money on unconstitutional programs.

You seem to love this country. And if you have seen my posts before you know I do to. What do you think will happen with millions loosing everything all at once. And before you say they should get jobs lets be real here this economy is shot. So what will happen with people starving and loosing everything.

I wish people could see the implications of this for what it is.

And this is bigger then just the US. When we truly fail it will have a cascade effect with ripples that will travel this entire world.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join