It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans kill Senate jobless aid measure (unemployment extension)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

WASHINGTON – Republicans on Thursday defeated Democrats' showcase election-year jobs bill, including an extension of weekly unemployment benefits for more than a million people out of work more than six months.

The 57-41 vote fell three votes short of the 60 required to crack a GOP filibuster, delivering a major blow to President Barack Obama and Democrats facing big losses of House and Senate seats in the fall election.

The rejected bill would also have provided $16 billion in new aid to states, preserving the jobs of thousands of state and local government workers and providing what White House officials called an insurance policy against a double-dip recession.

It also included dozens of tax breaks sought by business lobbyists, and tax increases on domestically produced oil and on investment fund managers. The demise of the bill means that unemployment benefits will phase out for more than 200,000 people a week.

Governors who had been counting on federal aid will now have to consider a fresh round of budget cuts, tax hikes and layoffs of state workers. "This is a bill that would remedy serious challenges that American families face as a result of this Great Recession," said Max Baucus, D-Mont., the chief author of the bill. "This is a bill that works to build a stronger economy. This is a bill to put Americans back to work.

news.yahoo.com...

Congrats to the people of the United States. I can't wait till we get the flurry of Republicans taking seats in November. If GARBAGE like this keeps happening...they are going to feel some WRATH.

I don't understand why this is a blow to Democrats? This looks more like a blow to people already struggling.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by David9176]

+29 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Did they vote down an extension of unemployment benefits, or did they vote down this:

It also included dozens of tax breaks sought by business lobbyists, and tax increases on domestically produced oil and on investment fund managers.

If they wouldn't try to tack on garbage like that, I'd be more sympathetic to the Democrats' argument. As it stands, it looks like they're trying to pass a tax bill and disguise it as something else.

Just to add, its retarded bull **** like this that makes me despise the Democratic party. They know the GOP won't go for those tax provisions. That's exactly why they put it in there. They know that when the GOP blocks it, they can turn around and say 'oh, those evil Republicans are trying to take money away from the poor and unemployed!'

Its stupid, manipulative garbage politics.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by vor78]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

I suspect you are absolutely right.

2nd line

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I say let the unemployed receive full unemployment benefits until they are eligible for Social Security!!!!
If they keep extending benefits this could be the result.

Got to help the people who are stuggling....right David9176?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I think the Republicans really dug a deep hole for themselves on this one!!!

A DEEP HOLE!!!

Lots of folks with no job and no income, and no further extension causes me to make a very EDUCATED guess that CRIME may be about to SKY-ROCKET shortly due to this.

NOT GOOD AT ALL.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Shine71]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Shine71

Is this a decision straight from your heart, based solely on emotion?

Are you for never ending benefits? If not, what would your limits be?

I suggested earlier that benefits should expire when the recipient qualifies for Social Security....
Would that work for you?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
In my state you are eligible for a maximum amount of money or 12 months of benefits, whichever comes first. If this is not the case for all states, I believe it should be.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

I worry about CRIME resulting from it. I worry that I will have to put bars on my windows. I worry about my family going to get gas wondering if they will be murdered for $20.

Do you require more answers??

This was NOT the appropriate time for the Republicans to vote this down.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I am one of the unlucky few I guess. I had one round of unemployment, but since June 1 nobody can get extensions. So I got about 10 weeks of unemployment and am now cut off. These people have been adding a few month extension at a time. They are doing this because they can fill these bills with pork every time. Congress has no problem funding wars, paying corporations to get them out of financial trouble, but when it comes to helping citizens...they drag their feet and extend unemployment one month at a time.

Why one month at a time I ask? Why not instead of 30 Billion extend this out for the next 10 months. I bet the unemployment numbers for June are going to look like the economy is picking back up, as nobody is getting extensions for the past month.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shine71

Do you require more answers??

This was NOT the appropriate time for the Republicans to vote this down.

You didn't answer the question at all....Which was "What would your limits be?"

It's amazing that you think people would turn to crime to survive, instead of simply going out to find a job. I believe the longer you give someone incentive not to work, the longer it will take them to find a job. Cut them off and it is amazing how fast they find some type of work.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Carseller4]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
My limit would be at an appropriate time determined by unemployment percentages.

All signs of recent show a slight uplift with potential to pick up. This vote did nothing but halt the improvement and possibly now reverse the upturn.

AND crime WILL GO UP. REMEMBER THIS POST!!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
First of all unemployment is not getting any better is growing monthly.

Second most states had run dry on the unemployment funds.

Unemployment extensions are actually bailouts coming from the tax payer to fund states that are already dry on unemployment benefits.

This means, bailouts to be given away at the expenses of tax payers in the states in the name of loans, this loans has to be pay back to the federal government but with most states in the bring of bankruptcy this is going to become very difficult to do without some state tax hikes and cuts.

In this nation states no longer can pretty much sustain themselves without federal help but like the federal government they are becoming big and bloated and is not accountability for the spending, because the state can always borrow more money from the fed to meet budget needs.

As the fed government is going to go without budget for the next fiscal year so the states will be forced into local government cuts to meet their budget needs

The nation can not keep bailing out the unemployment for ever without the creation of new meaningful jobs, regardless of what the federal government say service jobs are not going to help the nation get the welfare state is getting into right now.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
There's that 60-vote thing again. Okay, so it's not the bill with the extensions. What's the hold up on that?

reply to post by Shine71

Well...then...they can hire more cops and unemployment will go down. UGH.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Well it's either that or welfare. Either way someone pays?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
You want to see a SHTF scenario this is it. The oil leak is nothing compared to this. It will only take about a month before everything begins to spiral out of control. The stupid Republicans don't want to add to the deficit but they don't see the effects this will have.

This will be the final nail in this country. It is that big of a issue millions loosing everything all at once. What do you think is going to happen?

Think about it many are holding on by threads and they just cut them all. This is bad. And to all of you that say it is not you need to look at the big picture your job you still have will be worthless with everything crashing down around it.

Republicans need to wake up and see this for what it is. This could be the let them eat cake moment for America.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

You, as well as many many folks, are in a tough spot and it will unfortunately GET WORST. CALL, WRITE, OR FAX YOUR SENATE REPRESENTATIVE TODAY.

Strength in numbers folks!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

It'll pass. The Democrats just wanted to score a few cheap political points in the process and will milk it for a few days before they drop the objectionable tax provisions. When that happens, it will pass overwhelmingly.

I'd guess that it passes by the end of next week.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I have to side with the R's on this one.

You all read the headline and knee-jerked.

Read paragraphs 3 and 4.

Save government jobs? Why?

Tax breaks for lobbyists? Why?

Tax hike on domestic oil? Why?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

As one of the unlucky, I certainly hope you are right, friend. Otherwise, prospects are grim for a lot of us.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
well i was for the extension but against the tax breaks and other pork barrel crap.

hopefully it gets re-written without all the garbage in it.

I am about to run out of unemployment insurance in a week or so... and well yea sucks for me i suppose!

But oh well, i know others are in worse position then i am. I hope for the best, and expect the worst... and yes as jobs are lost and people lose these benefits, crime does go up.

Look at the 80's.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join