It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pure ignorance being displayed by some Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I'm sorry but come on! Get a grip and have a taste of reality. In Nigeria where oil spills much larger than the Gulf spill happen so often they have stopped counting, between 1960 and 1997 up to 546 million barrels has been spilt, a country whose Govt makes no attempt to stop them. Or how about Africa, where the children are so thirsty they drink water full of termites, mud, human waste. And your all moaning that you cant eat local shrimp? Look at the world, your the lucky ones, welcome to the real world.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

"Pure ignorance being displayed by Haydn_17" should be the title of this thread.

Should we all just accept the fact that our fishing industries and food sources are being ruined? Should we just sit back and say, "Oh well, it happens." I think you are the one who needs to get a grip.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Oh yay! Yet another American-bashing thread.
What a shock.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

So I take it that if a similar incident happens in the North Sea that brings about 50 million gallons of oil onto your shores, you'll just be smiling and at peace with all of it. You know, because you live in the real world, in the oh-so-terrible UK and that's just the way it is over there.

Pfft. Get off your high horse.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

America has never been all that good at concealing its collective ignorance, 'tis true. But if you came to have a rant against the people 'moaning about local shrimp', I very much doubt you'll find any such people on these forums. The greater concern is the quality of life, loss of life, long-term damage and environmental and safety concerns. If you're angry, you're preaching to the choir here, and 'America' as a whole has little to do with it outside of its twisted politics and money system.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap

"Pure ignorance being displayed by Haydn_17" should be the title of this thread.

Should we all just accept the fact that our fishing industries and food sources are being ruined? Should we just sit back and say, "Oh well, it happens." I think you are the one who needs to get a grip.

I totally agree. Maybe Haydn_17 could come over here and live on the gulf coast for a while, soak up some sun while he/she wades knee deep in crude. Or they just could wait until the oil finally reaches their country....

CX

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I know you like to post threads calling out the US for this and that Haydn, but put yourself in their shoes for a moment.

Picture this oil leak off the any part of the coast of Britain. We'd be totaly stuffed.

I'm sure we'd be moaning plenty then, and lets face it...neither you, i or most people here give a second thought to anything that affects anywhere but their own area.

Sad but true.

If you cared about the bigger leak in Nigeria, or the starving kids in Africa, you'd be doing something about it rather than ranting about it.

Sorry to sound negative to a fellow UKer, but posting threads about US members when you are not in their shoes is bit off IMO.

CX.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
The American people will never become complacent with this disaster, or any others of this magnitude. You speak as though you know us, but your thoughts are not indicative of this.

I'm sorry for any group of people, including those of Nigeria, who have accepted these travesties as their "lot in life".

The situation in Nigeria is very distressing for many of us. I believe once we have this mess in our own back yard cleaned up, you will see a vocal America along with other nations, advocating assistance for Nigeria, and other countries that have been left to suffer these indignities and devastations.

But to be accepting of wrong-doing, and become complacent with disaster?

Ha. Not our style buddy. I'm proud to say.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Would you be so blasae if am Unical had the same accident the same distance off of your coast?

America has many, many faults. However standing aside during a disaster in another part of the world is not one of them.

And we certanly don't tell the victems to 'Get over it.'

[edit on 24-6-2010 by ..5..]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I, totally, agree with with everyone who has replied to you!! Personally, I could care less what someone from England thinks about the things we, in America, concern ourselves with!

Children in Africa??? I am concerned with children in the US first and fore most!! Instead of worrying about people, or situations, in any other countries (as most Americans DO) - the American government (and people) need to make sure ALL people, and emergency situations, within the US are dealt with appropriately - and first!

What would the people in the "real world" have done, throughout the decades, without the assistance of the people of the US?!?!?!?? Our government has ALWAYS (it seems) placed the rest of the world above taking care of our own!! Time for that to STOP!!

Of course, we care about other countries. But, I am all for us taking care of THE PEOPLE in the USA way before we concern ourselves with others.

Does - MIND YOU OWN BUSINESS apply here??

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

The greater concern is the quality of life, loss of life, long-term damage and environmental and safety concerns.

Add to this the effect it will have on the economy, such as fishermen, tourism, lost jobs, business closures depending on a summer tourist spree, etc., in an already depressed economy...

It all ripples, and the bad economy in the gulf ripples out to America, and eventually, to the rest of the world also...

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Haydn, I will agree with you in some respect, and agree with respondents in others. God I have a sore bum from that fence.

I agree with you that these things happen in other parts of the world and the Western world (including The U.S., U.K., and us here in Oz) barely bat an eyelid. Even if the root cause of such disasters is our own demand for the oil that these countries rush production of to compete for our dollars (pounds), and to get favour from us.

But I do agree with respondents that people of the aforementioned world do care and should care when it happens on their doorstep. It is just a fact of life that in our realm of this Earth we have higher standards and demand protection of our livelihoods.

Cheers,
Pabs

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Hmmmmm!?!?! Darn......I thought millions of dollars were collected by American Charitable Organizations via all kinds of methods for Haiti and Chili, just recently.........MAN!!! Everywhere you looked you could text money for some hard hit country, charged right to your phone bill. I'm just an average Joe citizen and I was so taken by the devistation, I actually donated through the Red Cross. What I mean is.....if I donated, MAN!!! Everybody must have.

I'd like to believe that most people know that most Americans want to help others. There are always those that have to bash and that's why, in my sorrowful opinion, the world will never be at peace.

The squeaky wheel always gets the attention. I'll bet more people are remembered for their mistakes than any positive they may have done.

OH!!!! BTW!! Don't forget, our Great Leader has "Declared" the Gulf Seafood "Safe to eat"......hehehehehehehehe. LORD!?!?!?!?!?!

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
You obviously have spoken how you truly feel .. Well now I will honestly tell you how I feel…

Well Hayden your logic is not logic .. we know Nigeria has suffered from oil spills and over in Africa the children may not have what we have.. These are all a part of what (we should be complaining about) even tho its forever out of balance is no excuse for it to “keep on happening !!!!”

IM SPEAKING ABOUT MOTHER EARTH … we all live on her we all eat from her we drink her water we breathe her air … and if we keep destroying her we will have 0

Allowing it to happen is what all of us are against its not the shrimp on our plate its the shrimp and all the rest of the mammals and all of ecology and environment involved ... No matter whether it is over on the other side of the globe or not … it is a global effort to get involved to stop the Greed .. that’s destroying our planet.

Yes I have grandchildren and others have children over here in the USA it is our concern .. Not the children over in other countries .. We have been worrying about other countries as long as I can remember ..

Those worries are real but so is our environment ..over here ..

So is the people that brought this on!!! so is it the people who happen to think its no big deal .. These are the things that worrie.. me the lack of concern for our planet in general

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Don't lump all Americans in to what you read here.

A large majority of Americans are fairly dis-interested about the oil spill too.

Most of those posting on here claiming this is a doomsday scenario are recently joined members from the coasts of those states effected.

The rest of America has other issues to deal with.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Just get over it, America is better.

top topics

join