It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do not treat this as a game

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
All new members will discover that ATS run a points system.

I myself as a hardened, obsessed gamer nearly fell into the trap of immediately creating a strategy to win more points. ( its almost subconscious for people like me ) I very quickly realised that this would have been most insincere and would have diluted the input of others who put a lot of thought and work into their posts.

I have only been a member for a short time and have discovered that ATS is inhabited by a bunch of knowledgeable, sincere and truthful people.

Welcome, you have discovered an amazing place. Please treat with respect.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
welll...... whatever turns your crank

theres 70% point mongers here, and the few & far between posters of merit have been ingested into the beast...

i'm in no way comparable to the likes of 'Loam' 'WeedWhacker' and the dude from the wastes of scotland or wales or thereabouts... (the poster with the cabin avatar)...

they don't do points or populist lingo to garner points/stars/flags

you should aspire to that level of communication...and then decline the mod carrot-on-a-stick...i've watched many take the lure

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
If this is a game I must really suck at it because everytime I get some points someone takes them away from me for speaking the truth.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Honestly, i never look or care about the points, or any other stuff that they use to rank people, i'm here for the info and great input from thinking minds.
I cant remember the last time i even looked to see what my points were, if i had to guess i would say about a month after i signed up.

I prefer to judge people on their post and intelligence, and accuracy, points really mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.

and lets face it, through the WTF threads, there are some great minds here.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Very astute observation.

I used to be in it for the points, being a gamer also...

Now, I'm just in it for the headshots!

Flagged! Since I can't offer stars in this forum

Edit to add FPS Doug...

(click to open player in new window)

[edit on 6·24·10 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Points???
What points?

Unless they are redeemable for cash, goods, or services, they are merely a number.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Points matter to some, to others not so much. It's the dialog that matters. Welcome aboard.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by IMOVERHERE

Welcome to the machine.

To some people life is a game, to others conspiracy theories are a game, and even unfolding them to some it is a game, however I do not agree.

Life is not a game, conspiracy theories are not a game, and unraveling them is not a game.

There is no "winner" so to speak on ATS except the community as a whole.

To share ideas, to remain skeptical, or to understand a new level of corruption.

And through that enlightenment towards knowing how the world works.

That is the mission and winning your own perspective.

Deny Ignorance.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
Points???
What points?

Unless they are redeemable for cash, goods, or services, they are merely a number.

I seriously did not know about points. I am sure I have none anyway. I have only posted maybe 3 times, and no one has acknowledged my presence, so it's unlikely they gave me any points. I guess you could say my posts are pointless... haha!

So where do I find my 'grand total' of points, anyway?

[edit on 24-6-2010 by new_here]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Whatcoo talkin about Willis. Check your profile page. You've got 500 points already.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I could not care for points, a few times i got applause, but even though i thx the mods for those things, do not care for them.

Maybe me not being a gamer, and i am very uncompetitive, so i do not care about the point system.

Its like how people are on a aboard and make a thread about being happy they got 1000 posts or something. Who cares.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here
So where do I find my 'grand total' of points, anyway?

[edit on 24-6-2010 by new_here]

Look at the bottom of every post. You will see a button that says "Profile". That's your personal profile. If you need help setting it up let me know.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Hey, thanks for cluing me in. I lurked here for about a month, reading, and just joined the other day. I learn more about the world here than mainstream news, for sure.

So, I have POINTS! (I promise not to let it go to my head-scouts honor) It is, after all, not a game at all. It is life and it is real.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I don't really care about I do like it.
especially an applause. I know it is just a mod's appreciation. but every time it makes me a little warm on the inside. Maybe that is because I never expect it.

When I expect one. It is better not to hold my breath.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
The points system should be abolished as a whole if this site wants to harness the true title of a 'truth-seeking' entity. Otherwise, part of it is just a game... whether you treat it as such or not.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by IMOVERHERE

I must say I've been here for almost a year and today is the first time I fin out about a point system. It has never bothered me, but I must say as a gamer you make a lot of sense regarding the point system.

I'm gonna go check my points now

Seriously, There are some brilliant people on this site and my appreciation goes out to all of them for making it such an enjoyable experience to come to ATS.

Every day I learn something new.

Rabaski

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I never once looked at my points with interest.
Not sure why they even have the system.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I have seen the points, but I wasn't paying attention to them. What difference does it make how many points you have?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Whats a "monger" sorry not a UK slang term

thanks

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Rabaski

I am suprised at how few people were aware of the points system. I discovered it right at the beginning of my relationship with ATS because I started to explore every nook and cranny of the site, clicking and surfing through numerous operations. Quite often I had real problems trying to re-find stuff and spent ages trying to retrace my steps only to discover new stuff on the way. Could be another gamers thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join