It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignorance Of Australian Media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I have been pretty much a lurker on these forums for a while with the odd post here and there, but I felt its about time I speak up.

As most ATS users from countries other than the US, I tend to see topics here and within the next 48 hrs, see them on Australian news channels,

As most ATS users I have been following the BP environmental threats etc, but one thread that caught my eye was the Mexican drug cartels in Arizona. Now it has passed the point of it being mere Hearsay, so I have been speaking to my colleagues and family members about the situation and they haven't heard a thing about it. So it a did a search of our major news provider here, Ninemsn.com.au, and I found bugger all. (Aussie for 'Nothing At All)

Now I find this to be major news, but apparently not here. Today our PM was replaced by his deputy Julia Gillard, and this was big news. It even interrupted regular children's programming this morning, (I am sorry that in place of Mickey's Clubhouse, my 15 month old saw Rudd's Disheveled Labour Party, As much in common as they have).

Now I carried on with my day, heading to class (studying IT) as I usually do, but thought I would check in with Ninemsn.com.au to see the updates on the situation. Not 10 minutes after Gillard is sworn in as PM, I see an 'EXCLUSIVE' on the homepage.

I click the link which leads to me.....verbatim..."GILLARDS CHANGING HAIRSTYLES OVER THE YEARS", obviously I go back to the homepage and to the top stories thinking I must have hit the wrong button, but there t the bottom ......NUMBER 1 NEWS ITEM - Gillards Changing Hair Styles'

Out of all the drama escalating in the world, how is this news?. Ninemsn states that all top ranking of articles are based on user viewings.....how the hell is the Australian number 1 viewed news item, the transition of Julia Gillards hair over the yrs...

(for all the ATS members who read this to find out the effect of this sudden shift of power has had on her hair...see here....LINK )

I am sick of the fact that the PM results rely solely on aesthetics's. "now that is a hairstyle that can run this country"!

To the aware citizens of Australia, they are aware our news if filtered, as I see it...

Something happens ----- it is filtered through US Mainstream Media------then filtered for Ally Countries (Australia)

Either way, to end this rant, it upsets me that the main focus of today was her hairstyle and shows the caliber of people who are reporting...

The scary part is, it is mandatory in Australians to vote, so given that 80% of the population give no #s about politics, and couldn't name the opposition to the current PM at the time of voting, the whole process is kinda iffy...

....Mathyn Rain

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Try turning off your television ,its more interesting when the screen is blank.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mathyn Rain

It's OK, I am not surprised at that one bit. When Americans are called on topics from other world locations that have not been covered in our media. We are called ignorant. I wont bother tagging you in such a way.

I believe it's deemed not important by your media.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This shows that people don't want reality, reality sucks. We want hairstyles, hairstyles take us away from reality.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It's frustrating, but over time, you will just look at our news as more entertainment. It's pretty ridiculous, just puff pieces. I care to some extent about who's running the country, but IMO, no one is good enough atm, so I try to switch off because it makes me angry.Eg - I turned on today show this morning, and all it was, was them interviewing people on the street with 'what do you think of a red headed prime minister?' wow. whatta scoop. So I ended up eating my coco pops in silence. Sigh.

I tend to look here for news, Breaking Alternative News board is awesome, I'm always trying to tell people I know things I've heard on here from other countries, but they don't really care much. I think people prefer Ignorance to be honest. I had cousins who, until I told them last week, had NO idea about an oil spill!!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Our media is mundane to say the least,always garbage to side- track from real issues.
Abc and sbs have half decent news but forget the others.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Ha-ha-ha, now that we have a female PM, you can expect half the Australian population to have an absolutely consuming interest in what the PM wears.

All the bitchy fashion columnists will be nit picking and arguing about what is in, and what is out.

And if she dares to wear the same outfit TWICE in public, it will probably make news headlines.

And after some major speech of earth shattering importance, you ask your wife, or GF, what they think, and the reply will likely be, I have a set of ear rings just like those.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow

And after some major speech of earth shattering importance, you ask your wife, or GF, what they think, and the reply will likely be, I have a set of ear rings just like those.

Yes, because as an Australian woman, that's all I really care about. Earrings. Nice. I couldn't give a stuff what she wears, and the fact she's a woman. We aren't all that superficial you know.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Try turning off your television ,its more interesting when the screen is blank.

Agreed. And once it's been blank for awhile, move it to the shed and then to the skip. It won't hurt, I promise.

top topics

join