It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

48% See Government Today As A Threat to Individual Rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

48% See Government Today As A Threat to Individual Rights

www.r asmussenreports.com

Nearly half of American Adults see the government today as a threat to individual rights rather than a protector of those rights.

Most Republicans (74%) and unaffiliateds (51%) consider the government to be a threat to individual rights. Most Democrats (64%) regard the government as a protector of rights.

This gap helps explain why just 21% believe that government today has the consent of the governed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This comes as no surprise. I'm actually surprised to hear that the number is that low.

This is directly related to the unresponsive nature of the government today. Americans don't like the health care legislation (a majority want it appealed), pass it anyway. Americans want the border shut tight, do nothing about the border. Americans want an end to the bail-outs, especially of banks, go ahead and bail out more banks and more facets of the financial sector such as student loans. Americans just want the gulf cleaned up, tie it to the passing of massive energy taxes.

Regular attacks on individual privacy, be it through nonsense like the Patroit Act (caught a ton of terrorists with that gem, didn't we?), warrantless searches of phones and e-mail. Department secretarys informing the public that e-mail must be screened to protect us, new piracy law which will further scan search terms.

Government spending = government intrusion and the current spending trend of the federal government is out of control and there appears to be no way to reign it in. People feel out of control because, despite the fact that we have a representative democracy, something is very wrong with it today when the government is totally unresponsive to the will of the people.

When the government places its priority on the special interest and hence the rights of the special interest, be it pressure groups or corporations, there is no way that our individual freedoms can not be eroded. In a ordered society, rights can not be infinate and the rights of the interest group, to the extent that they are growing must crowd out and naturally erode individual rights.

I'm not surprised and don't see this changing unless we get an amazing leader in the White House and based on the current crop of potential candidates that have a shot at the top job, none looks to have the steel to take on these problems.

I curious as to what folks on this site, which is full of indendently minded people think about this poll. Legitimate or over reaction based on the economic problems we currently have coupled with the other serious issues confronting the country creating massive uncertainty.

www.r asmussenreports.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I suspect that these numbers are merely the result of economic troubles and other various stressors going on in the world today coupled with the media hype that suggests being anti establishment is “IN STYLE”.

That being said however let me explain my view.
I am anti establishment as it stands currently. I am a constitutionalist and I belive that individual sovereignty is being drained from the people like blood from a butchered pig.

The reason I think these numbers are somewhat skewed or perhaps irrationally derived is because of the question that arises when looking into where these percentages were pre Obama.

In addition according to a thread I authored a few days ago which was mainly a rant about national apathy, it would appear that while people may find the government unappealing to some degree; they are not overly concerned with what its doing.

I come to this conclusion based on a variety of trending sites. Yes it would seem that most people are more interested in summer BBQ recipes and Celebrity crotch shots than what nefarious activities their corrupted officials may be undertaking.

This leads me to believe that while this high percentage of establishment frustrated masses may be offended by prospects of liberty snatching thugs, they are not of the mind that they and their country are in legitimate danger of falling to a tyrannical model of governance.

42% to 45% is a good start but I strongly suspect 20% to 35% TOPS. The rest are just doing what comes natural from herd mentality and going along with the Glen Becks of MSM. In the meantime they are wondering if they should get the new Iphone or it’s latest rival. BS…

It would be interesting to note however how much of a percentage actually believe things would be better if there was a republican party running things. I just feel at 40+% I would run into one of these people on the street that can actually talk about something other than what they heard on FOX or CNN.

Because the people I do run into oh yeah they know problems abound, but it is misplaced frustration or a diatribe in common political talk parroted from any number of main stream functions.

I could be wrong though. Who am I??

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The other 52% terrify me.

Either they arent paying attention or they are more than happy to strip rights for whatever reason.

In either case my quality of life and my liberty shouldnt be subjected to the whims of that 52%.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Interesting that by the link Republicans account for 74% negative, while Democrats accounts for 64% that agree with government powers.

Perhaps because Republicans are not in power and those 51% percent in the middle are the Democrats that never liked Obama to begin with.

Still is a lot of people in this nation that has awaken to the reality of what kind of government we have and how corruption is running rampant.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Out of curiosity how do you know that they are awake to what’s going on? Perhaps they are just the mainstream, average American everyman/woman. They hear what’s going on and acknowledge it as troublesome and even threatening, but stop there.

There is another level beyond that, which would put you on the “fringe” where I think people should actually be when it comes to bringing America back from the brink.

That leaves me concerned with the percentages that know something’s up but are still preoccupied with the world cup.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

I agree but in America I always say that is not going to be a public outrage as long as the government keep the people happy with welfare checks, pensions pay in time and SS.

The government will keep robing the tax payer blind and will keep eroding freedoms and rights, but people are too comfortable at home to care much as long as they don't have to lift a finger and the government provide them with what they need.

Take away that and you see how bad things will turn in hart beat.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
SO you want the answer then? Keep pushing people. Keep shouting at the top of your lungs to anyone that would listen that what the government is doing is not ok. Don't stop. Ever. Make sure you keep pushing the issue. TPTB will not stop until we are all completely devoid of personal freedoms so you must never stop as well. Don't allow that 52% to stay so ignorant of what's really happening.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Absolutely!

I’m concerned though that the bleed out has been going on so long that the majority in a SHTF scenario would find themselves to atrophied to do much about it.

Most Americans it would seem are very much talkative about doing something yet when it actually comes down to taking action find the sofa WAY to comfortable. This build up of armchair generals on the front lines of Americas supposedly angry masses only serves the purpose of producing large scale mockery.

Mockery of freedom loving citizens the world over.
Im not saying everyone is like that, but for the most part as far as I have been able to see, American rebels are like fighting cats. They spend the majority of the time balking and hissing and groaning, followed by short bursts of domestic terrorist acts…..*according to your loving government*.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

I will have to agree with you, but be very sure that I will be one to make the most noises when America decides to take the street, I will be there in the front.

When the Tea parties started I could not wait at the time to protest in their meetings as soon the where in my neck of the woods.

I thought it was time and that it was here already.

But then I saw the Tea parties for what they were and I lost my hopes, sometimes we have to be careful of the hidden agendas of the so call leaders of the populations

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Agreed.
I wonder by saying that you “saw the tea parties for what they really were” do you mean you saw them as a megaphone for the republican party?
I’m only asking because I see more and more lately that the “fringe” seems to be in disapproval that the tea party movement has been taken over as they say by the republican party. A smooth move if you ask me but not surprising in the least.

However if you didn’t mean that can you elaborate I would like to know more.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Funny. The American people feel threatened by their government.

In a true democracy, the government is an organization that represents the people and it is the duty of the people to keep their government in check. A government that takes away individual freedoms and a people who bend over with complacency are two factors that transform a democracy into an autocratic dictatorship.

new topics

top topics

join