It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake yesterday centered in Canada felt in Pittsburgh in minutes???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Me being a Pittsburgh native felt it was srange to have buildings being evacuated do to an earthquake from up north. I guess there are quakes up here now and it only took minutes to travel from Canada to Western Pa.... The world is changing for sure...

Reports of buildings shaking came from Carlow University in Oakland and from the South Side, among other locations.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported the magnitude 5.5 quake was centered at the Ontario-Quebec border at 1:41 p.m. It was felt a few minutes later in Western Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh police said they have no reports of damage.

News reports said it also could be felt in New York City, New Jersey, Ohio, and Michigan.

Buildings shook in Toronto for almost a minute and several were evacuated.

Is this normal or what ATS????

Mods not sure this has been spoke on if so move it to where it belongs please.

[edit on 6/24/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
i thought it was definitely weird. I live in Brooklyn and there were alot of reports from lower manhatten while people in midtown and northern nyc (bronx, westchester) didnt feel a thing.

In other states some people reported not feeling a thing while neighbors directly across their street were in shock from their house shaking.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Yep, I felt the quake only minutes after it hit up north of here.
This is only the second time in my 30 years that I have felt any quakes in Michigan....so it's not like it hasn't happened before, but it's by no means a common occurence whatsoever.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I was downtown and didnt feel a thing but the locations that were evacuated were in walking distance it was just strange to experience this type of behavior in the Steel city. And the tremors were traveling in speed to reach Pgh. within minutes which also kind of had me wondering because I believe the epicenter was a few hundred miles away.

Thanks for your inputs
, this is another reason I like ATS because of the way the community is spread across so many global locations allowing individuals to communicate so well with 1 another....

[edit on 6/24/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
We felt it pretty heavily in Greentree.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I am outside of Columbus, Ohio and my husband has been serving on the federal grand jury for the last year. He and all his federal pals in the courthouse felt it. They were not sure what they were experiencing because their water bottles on the tables were vibrating from the table shaking. When he got out, he called me and told me what they experienced. After confirming it was an earthquake, he called all his alphabet buddies to gloat over the fact the he was right.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by imafreespirit

I had a peculiar experience when I felt it. I was laying in bed and surfing the web when the bed(which is on wheels) began to roll gently but firmly back and forth. I was sure for a minute that I was experiencing paranormal activity, because an actual earthquake being felt in Michigan was not very obvious right off the bat.
Boy, did I feel like an idiot after I figured it all out, lol.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I have been reading a bit on EQ's...I have a new interest...

Unless I mis understand the way EQ's are measured a 5.0 can big 5 yards long or 5 miles long...its the entensisty"sp?" not the geographical size.

So IMO the scale we measure one with can be very decieving as far as it comes to damage......a 1000 mile radius 4.0 is much worse than a localized 6.0.....but hey as I said I am new to this and may be ..I don't really understand..
Just figure that since I'm just ocer 150 miles from New Madrid MO. I should not be totally illiterate of the subject..ty op for sparking more interest for me...star for you

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DocEmrick

Hello neighboor lol, I cannot believe I didnt feel it at all but did notice a bad rain storm later in the day.. Thanks for the thread contribution friend..

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by imafreespirit

Wow its just amazing how this thing reached so far out and not to have been that strong, makes me wonder if it was a larger scale quake located way up north would it have been able to demolish some building this far south.. THanks friend for your input

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

Lol I can understand totally how you could of taken that for a paranormal interaction. If my bed would of started rolling around I would of took a couple minutes to regain what just happened myself. Atleast no one was hurt and you got to experience something new from planet Earth.. Thanks for sharing your experience with us all friend.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
It was easily felt here in Cleveland as people left the high rises downtown after the shake. My wife was in a meeting on the 14th floor of high rise and they all felt it. Pretty amazing for 5.5 so far away.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Holy____!

I live in Ithaca NY, sometimes trucks roll by and shake the house, but as I was sitting I felt a steady up and down undulation for about 10-15 seconds. I thought that it must be an earthquake and said to myself, "If it was an earthquake, I'll find out about it tomorrow at ATS"

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
i live in the poconos pa and i felt it but i thought it was just a large truck going by until i saw the news this morning. i lived in alaska a bit so i am kind of used to them so didn't think anything about it. but we do get quakes now and then in the eastern us/canada

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Your very welcome for helping enlighten your interest in earthquake activities. I am also interested in these natural Earth scrubbing devices because it would appear that over time they are used to reform the Earth by either turning land masses into water masses or visca versa. To me by doing this it allows the Earth to recover from celestial impacts and any other negative environmental effects that may cause uncomfort or E.L.E to any existing/upcomming species. Basically replenishing the Earth for the next generation.

And also thank you for explaining how the magnitude of the quake as well as the distance it travels effects the amount of destruction that can occure.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
we had an ems station in honesdale damaged and condemded from the quake
i'm not a geologist but did have a class in college and it depends on the type of ground how far the tremors will go and how bad they will be in distance.
anyone interested look up the major quake in st louis in the 1800's
supposedly it mede the mississippi river actually run backwards

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfoot1212

supposedly it mede the mississippi river actually run backwards

Now thats amazing indeed how powerfull to make a river change directions. So I see Clevelend the Poconos and New York this was a wierd quake hope there wont be anymore no time soon. Thanks again all for your contributions.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

yes i saw that on megadisasters. also when i lived in anchorage supposedly after the largest quake in us history hit it basically drained cook inlet and came back as a huge tsunami
can't prove that - just what i was told by the locals

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Its extremely common to feel quakes hundreds of miles away on the same fault line. I live in Los Angeles, and felt the recent quakes in Mexico. Its par for the course, especially on something larger than a 4.0.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
not sure how the fault lines run on the east soast but they are always saying that nyc and philly are due for a big quake

new topics

top topics

join