It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who can prove to me god does not exist?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

So you seriously believe a 2000 year old text is more applicable to our modern world than whatever today's scientists say??? Interesting

Thank God (if he exists) not everyone thinks like that or there would be no progress

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I agree with you that some scientists twist the facts for whatever reasons...often to get more funding or because they're being pressured somehow. The fact remains that their statements are verifiable by independent sources...something that doesn't hold true for religion.

If a scientist says "if you throw a tennis ball from the 200 feet up, it'll be going XYZ miles/hr by the time it hits the pavement". They will present a formula, and you can calculate the result. If you don't believe them, you can throw a tennis ball yourself and measure the exact speed.

If a religious person says "God created the universe", you can't verify this. Yet they don't even bother labeling it as a theory, they accept it as FACT. But it's not even close to a fact, we have zero proof for their statement. They aren't even twisting the facts, they just blindly believe and don't even ask for proof. That's blind faith, and worse than anything else because it hinders progress!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I agree with you that some scientists twist the facts for whatever reasons...often to get more funding or because they're being pressured somehow. The fact remains that their statements are verifiable by independent sources...something that doesn't hold true for religion.

If a scientist says "if you throw a tennis ball from the 200 feet up, it'll be going XYZ miles/hr by the time it hits the pavement". They will present a formula, and you can calculate the result. If you don't believe them, you can throw a tennis ball yourself and measure the exact speed.

If a religious person says "God created the universe", you can't verify this. Yet they don't even bother labeling it as a theory, they accept it as FACT. But it's not even close to a fact, we have zero proof for their statement. They aren't even twisting the facts, they just blindly believe and don't even ask for proof. That's blind faith, and worse than anything else because it hinders progress!

I think people are misinterpreting the use of a believers choice in the term 'fact' . No true believer will tell you that anything the bible says is a fact.. just like your scientists do not claim theories are facts. Believers accept these things as personal truth, therefore it becomes as fact for them personally.

Many times it's not blind faith.. blind faith implies it has not been tested. This believer choose to test the words of the bible and found they cause a change in the persons life for the better. Thus the believer has grounds to find for themselves this becomes personal fact.

Sure it cannot be tested under lab conditions, but for the believer who experiences this, it is as real as any scientific fact.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I can prove it...

Ok: Make 2 lists, exactly the same of all your questions about God and write them down.
i.e...
Why wont God heal amputees?
Why don't prayer work to cure cancer in deserving people?
Why does god hide from his creations?

I'm sure you can think of a million others especially if you are a Christian, as the bible is complete nonsense!

Next: answer the questions on one as best you can by creating out of thin air the bizarre excuses you will need to maintain your faith.

On the other answer every question with "Because GOD is imaginary".

Study both papers and you will realize which one makes the most sense!

EVERYONE who claims to believe in God has their doubts...No matter how hard you try to convince people otherwise, you and I both know the truth!

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

So you seriously believe a 2000 year old text is more applicable to our modern world than whatever today's scientists say??? Interesting

All day long. I see no flaws in the Bible.

As far as humanity without Gods guidance. All I see is flaws.
(oil spill)

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by MrXYZ

As far as humanity without Gods guidance. All I see is flaws.
(oil spill)

Yes indeed!
Exodus Chapter 21, verse 1:

Now these are the ordinances which you shall set before them. When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's and he shall go out alone. But if the slave plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,' then his master shall bring him to God, and he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for life.

Thank God for guiding us on how to buy slaves!

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

To admit this you must also believe that demons cause disease and that it is not only morally acceptable but a requirement to kill those seen working on the sabbath.

There are tons more flaws I could list but I believe you get the picture

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

you also forgot stoning children when they act up!

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Really? The bible contradicts itself all over the place.

This is a humorous listing of contradictions, in the style of a game show: www.youtube.com...

[edit on 27-6-2010 by PieKeeper]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
So you guys just ignore what I said about taking things out of context?
I don't see the big acheivement or success in the ridicule of any written
word. In fact it's the easiest thing to do to any text. There is no Atheist bible that can be picked apart.

The contradictions that atheists claim are there, are always just something taken out of context or end up being about some insignicant thing about a bird not being a bat.
The Bible no matter what you say, is God telling you up front, this is how it
is. Like it or not it exists, it's indestructable and has proven it self to me to be the Living word.
You can have this world the way it is today.
I know you're getting cheated but you won't see it.
What you don't see is God wanted something completely different for us then this way of death.

Sorry about your luck. But any dumbass can see this world is in the toilet as I type.
All the crap that has gone on is a result of God taking just one step back
out of the way. All of it was our choice. So don't blame God for anything.
Unless you want to blame him for giving us our way.

I can't believe you guys havn't tried blamming God for putting oil in the earth. Days not over though.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I would like those of you who want to move beyond the limitations of words and circular debate about the issue of whether "God exists" and who want to discover hard, irrefutable, mathematical evidence for transcendental design in the sacred geometries of some of the world's religions and their connection to discoveries in theoretical physics to spend the next three months studying the research articles and material at:
smphillips.8m.com...
Thank you.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

There is no Atheist bible that can be picked apart.

The Atheist position claims nothing. It is simply the disbelief in deities. If there was an Atheist bible, it'd be one sentence: "We don't believe in deities."

On the other hand, the Bible makes tons of claims, some of which contradict eachother, most of which can not be proven. And yet, despite these flaws, we are told that it is the truth.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by PieKeeper]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

God created us & this place in a perfect state then gave us all freewill ... we then made choices which destroyed everything ... isn't it easy to see how all the "bad" things are always the result of choices man has made ??

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by PieKeeper

Bible does not equal God .... not even close .. any reasonable person can see there is a whole lot of fiction in the Holy Bible ... But that should not reflect upon god .... this world exists in all its splendor ... what or who created it not to mention us ??

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
I can......

Wait no I can't.........

Wait yes I can.....

no, yes, no, yes.

Ah hell who knows!

This is how this thread is gonna go. You are gonna have people telling you they know the truth, when the truth is there is no truth. No one truly knows or ever will know who or what god is.

Until the after-life.

I politefully disagree sir .. you can know in this life if there is a God & you can have a relationship with Him/Her .... no, i am not religious .. I hate religion .. this is a real experience .... but you have to sincerely desire it ... it is very real & far beyond anything you can imagine ...

Where matters of God are concerned the way to know what is true & what is not .... is to ask "Is it loving ??" ... is it loving to have to wait til you die to know if there is a God ?? Obviously not ... is it loving to never know ultimate truth ?? No it is not ... but how dedicated are we to these ends ??

Sure if we could just sit at home & have someone tell us then yes we'd like to know ... but we aren't gonna bust our asses over it right ?? You must have a sincere desire .. that is why most prayer does not work ... you must be completely honest .. those are the only prayers God hears ... if you say you want to know if God exists .. but really you don't want to know cuz it scares you #less ... or you don't actually feel worthy of having a relationship with Her ... then God lets you alone .. but if you sincerely desire to know with all your heart .... then how could God refuse you ??

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13
reply to post by TheAmused

Why make a thread like this? Humans are either too dumb or on a different plane of reality to discover this "God". No evidence has ever been found to validate that a "god" even exists or to the contrary doesn't exist. So in all reality this is a dead question, that cannot and by my estimation, will never be answered.

No evidence has been found by you ... but are you really looking ?? Maybe God can only be found by those who are looking .. maybe she respects your choice to not seekf her ...

Nice quote BTW

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by XyZeR
Which "god" are you referring to, if I may ask?

the Christian one?
Allah?
Buddah?
Wodan and Thor?
Apollo?
Shiva?
Krishna?

btw... You can't prove a negative...

David Hume explain sit better then I ever could:

If the evil in the world is intended by god he is not good. If it violates his intentions he is not almighty. God can't be both almighty and good. There are many objections to this, but none that holds since god is ultimately responsible for the existence of evil. Besides, if only god can create he must have created evil. If somebody else (the devil) created evil, how can one know that god, and not Satan created the universe?

Explaining David Hume ... Here is a very simple explanation Mr. Hume had not considered .... God created this place as perfect but then gave us freewill to do with it what we liked ... bcuz if you think about it .. which is more loving ?? Giving free will or controlling our choices/options ?? Obviously the former ... so we then screwed everything up by the choices we made .... God does not create wars, famines etc .. there is more than enough land & food on this planet for everyone .... all of us today could choose to be more loving than we were the day before .... is it God's fault we don't make that choice ??

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused
why is the burden on me to prove he doesn't or does?

i asked ats if they knew.

i got no idea to be honest if he does or doesn't.
i got a hunch there is more than we will ever know or claim to know while we are alive.
we are just not meant to know.

But i will say again can ats prove to me god doesn't exist?
i figured at least 1 million atheist's would have been trying to brow beat me by now lol
go figure lol

An atheists job is much like the job of the Republicans in our US gov't today .. to oppose .. simply oppose .. they don't have to explain anything or offer any real guidance or any ideas which might move us in any specific direction ... the onus of responsibility does not fall on them .. it is enough for them to say God does not exist .. they don't have to prove it ...

tho i normally love 'em bcuz they make more sense than religious nuts

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by lordtyp0

All the religious books endorse all sorts of monstrous behavior. If you read the bible, a proper Christian now days, is not a follower of Christ in the bible. The Christ in the Bible stated succinctly that he was not there to do away with the old laws (Old Testament) but to 'fulfill prophecies'.

ie: if you do not adhere strictly to the OT, you are doomed because you did not follow around 600 commandments that are issued, doesn't matter if many are contradicted-sometimes in the same chapter.

My take on Jesus was that he was obviously flipping his bird at the Old Testament with statements like "Who should throw the first stone ??" As stoning is recommended in the Old Testament for non virgins & drunkards as suitable punishment .. a lil harsh me thinks ... He also spoke in parables at one point stating it "don't matter if i speak plainly .. you ain't gonna get this any old way !!!" (i'm paraphrasing)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos

You only believe in a god because you've been told that god exists.

Throughout history people have had the same question, why are we here, it's part of being self aware.

With so many people asking that same question, you will get people even today taking the opportunity to gain power over people by giving them an answer, their god.

Years ago people thought the earth was flat and that the sun was indeed a god too. There have been so many beliefs over the years that have been created due to lack of understanding.

Sadly, most people don't have an open mind and take blind faith as a proven fact.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Tykonos]

OR ... alot of people are having an actual experience of God ... or have at some point in their life they have .. & that is the real reason this God guy has so many fans ... are most of them totally misguided in their belief systems & in their definitions of said God ?? Absolutely .

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join