It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who can prove to me god does not exist?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
We, as infantile souls, use words like god when trying to explain what we don't know.

This "god", that you ask exists or not, is only relevant to the confused and trapped souls. If you actually knew what this "god" is, you wouldn't need to say god any more because you would understand that the word and its meaning have been hijacked by weak souls who need and seek power.

There are no words really to describe what this "god" is. I usually say 'the source' when describing this ultimate higher consciousness. This source(or god) cannot be explained by us humans, words cannot describe it. So when someone speaks about "god" so confidently, I snicker inside but I also feel sorry for them as well. Could you imagine someone 60 years old who actually believes in santa clause???!!! Well, that is the situation we have here with this "god" you speak of. Unfortunately, this childish belief system keeps getting re-enforced generation after generation because of the herd mentality we possess as being human.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

What do you mean proof that I don't exist ? Also it's God not god, you'll go to hell for this.

Joking aside, by the same logic can you prove that aliens don't exist, can you prove that I'm not actually god?

We are like god right ? This would imply that he is sort of stupid, arrogant and greedy. Sorry I can't accept such a flawed deity. It doesn't matter if God exists or not, but I sure hope he doesn't because then most soldiers would go to hell and that's not fair. Many priests will also go to hell, I can't imagine that God would like us killing each other and using him as an excuse.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
"God" certainly does exist. God is a concept. We have a word for that concept- the word is "God". If you understand what the word means, then you have just confirmed the existence of God.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
-Epicurus

This sort of sums it up for me. In my opinion whether He exists or not is moot. He's not helping and so I don't give a rat's ass about him.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused
So can you prove to me god doesn't exist?

Nobody can prove a negative. I can't prove, for instance, that monkeys won't fly out your butt.

But it would help if you could define what you're talking about here. What, exactly, do you mean by "God?" The more specific you are, the better.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to go with the idea that the universe and everything in it (including life, which by observation determines reality from virtuality), simultaneously expands and folds in on itself in space and time such that the universe has always existed and will always exist, negating the need for any sort of creator entity.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

whats the point? You can't prove that God does exist.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke,

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I found, specifically for me that In trying to believe in the existence of God was trying to get over the barrier of: Why does he let so many die and suffer, why do children starve to death. How can a child repent through Christianity if they dies before they had a chance to learn about Christianity.

Of course, these rational, intelligent questions are met by Christians with: God has a plan, God has his reasons.

We all know that Christianity cannot answer because you cant find God in religion, if you wish to find this answer, i can suggest a few books which may prove that God exists on a personal level, certainly not a scientific, universal one because that will probably never happen. The most we can hope for is prove that the universe is intelligent, or it has an intelligence about it, i imagine that will be the proof of a 'source' much like what David Wilcock suggests.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Who here can prove to me god DOES exist? You can't prove something one way or the other without some type of tangible evidence. This will go no where.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Let's say evolution is true for argument sake.

Evolution is true. Evolution = the change in the gene frequency of a population. Happens all the time.

You can't prove a negative.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

prove that he does! prove that god exists to me! if you can do that then it exists!

but if you cant then you yourself have proven it doesnt!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I dunno, he may have. I read a thread earlier today which stated that perhaps god has been mistaken for someone else.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FSMthewayshegoes

god is just the deception of aliens to keep man from rebelling...make them think we are gods so that they stay in control if they know we are just aliens then they will become a major threat!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalholic
reply to post by FSMthewayshegoes

god is just the deception of aliens to keep man from rebelling...make them think we are gods so that they stay in control if they know we are just aliens then they will become a major threat!

Phwew....[wipes tear from eye]....that's the funniest thing I've read all day. Thanks man, I needed that.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FSMthewayshegoes
I dunno, he may have. I read a thread earlier today which stated that perhaps god has been mistaken for someone else.

The Gnostic Christians believed that the true creator "God" was such an infinite, omnipotent, and omnipresent thing/being that it was really beyond the comprehension of human beings. It couldn't be prayed to with any result, it couldn't be understood, and it didn't really have anything to do with our day-to-day existence. So there was essentially not need to even bother with it.

On the other hand, the limited, jealous, violent and schizophrenic God of the Old Testament was likely a very powerful but confused demon entity that thought it was the creator god. It's known by a variety of names, including Saklas, Samael, or Yadalbaoth. We're basically at its mercy in our existence here on Earth, and because it's irrational, it can't be dealt with any more than the original creator entity.

So the Gnostic Jesus basically said, "Our lives on Earth are filled with suffering, and the only thing we can do about it is try to be nice to each other to minimize that suffering while we're alive. And eat, laugh and dance when we can." It's a simple message, and hard to argue with, but not good for building big churches because it's all up to the individual.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

why is the burden on me to prove he doesn't or does?

i asked ats if they knew.

You are asking us to prove a negative. It's impossible to prove a negative. People can only present alternative theories on how things happened but nothing directly related to the question itself.

For example, some one asks others to prove the universe wasn't created by a large all powerful bean burrito. Scientists can show all types of data on alternative theories on how the universe was created, but they would fail to disprove the existence of the giant all powerful bean burrito.

Would this make the theory of the giant bean burrito as plausible of that of the biblical god?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Incorrect. Those making a claim have the burden of proving that claim. It's that simple. People cannot go around dispelling any grandiose, unproven claim that anybody happens to dream up.

I have not once said that "there is no evidence for his existence therefore that's proof for his non-existence". I am open to evidence. I cannot, nor can anybody, disprove or debunk an unproven claim.

God is real.

God is not real.

Both of those statements are claims. Only one of them is true. Either side needs proof. The only thing that we know for sure is that "something" got the ball rolling. Until we know what that was. the burden of proof lies with both sides.

I'm also open to evidence proving god is not real. A lack of evidence means nothing. If someone on trial for murder goes free because of a lack of evidence does that mean that without a doubt he is innocent? Or does that mean they cannot find the correct evidence?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
God created existance and everything that exists or existed or will exist. God is outside existance. God does not exist.
This is an old argument that came about when our ancestors were trying to figure out if zero exists....

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I can not wrap my mind around how man or animal came into existence.
Unless it was with a divine helping hand so to speak.

still how did we get here to evolve?

It's not like life is so abundant in the universe it just pop's up everywhere and evolves to its surroundings.

How about "who can prove god does exist" because if we imagine something in to existence then how are we suppose to disprove something that has not been proven real? Kind of a double edge sword don't ya think? My concept of it is the man made GOD is just that, a reflection of ourselves. However i believe in creator/creation that there is a design behind it that we just do not understand and how it works. Could be creation or creator is a natural force of complication.

Now when natives seen our air planes fly over they would call us gods because they did not understand how it works. That something divine had to have created said air plane. Just 50 thousand years ago we were living in caves. Now creation and it's design has been around for billions of years and perhaps there is intelligence or independent thinking behind this creation force. It is simply beyond our concept and understanding at this time and will continue to be possibly forever or until we evolve. But as far as the GOD and or series of several GODS playing a chess game with mankind and pool with the planets for amusement i don't buy it. One would imagine anything that could create everything would not take interest in something it created so far ago, and would continue to venture out creating more to no end.

Again you can not prove something does not exist that can not be proven to exist in the first place. So many people will the Man GOD in to existence so in a sense this MAN god exists in our consciousness. Also as man we are capable of creating some amazing things ourselves, we are on the verge of genetic engineering , we have split the atom so could we be GOD's as well. And we will continue to achieve GOD like feats.

But of you ask me Aliens had a hand in manipulating our species at some point. Perhaps animals and life on this earth is not indigenous to this planet and Earth is a just a sanctuary of different life forms hand picked from other planets. Would that make them GODS? If we did this would that make us GODS? Food for thought.

Originally posted by eaglewoman
God created existance and everything that exists or existed or will exist. God is outside existance. God does not exist.
This is an old argument that came about when our ancestors were trying to figure out if zero exists....

Probably the best explanation i have heard so far.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Unknown Soldier]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
You are a meat machine. An animal that evolved a wonderful advantage over the other animals - a sense of awareness, consciousness.

With that however, there is a price. Self awareness means that you are cognitive of dying. It's a threat to the ego. So therefore, in order for the machine to not break down, you need a mechanicism to cope.

That my friends, is the idea of God, an afterlife and so on. It is a simple delusion that allows the animal to function and serve its purpose.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I can not wrap my mind around how man or animal came into existence.

Evolution

The short answer is gradually, via natural processes.

Abiogenesis

We don't have to say its true for arguments sake, it is evidently true. We've directly observed speciation - the moment when one species becomes another - you can look that up online for yourself. We also have the genetic evidence that directly shows how each species is related. This, of course, doesn't take into account the incredible transitional evidence we see all over the fossil record. All the evidence points exclusively toward evolution and not a shred of evidence has ever been found suggesting an intelligent designer had a hand in any stage of the process.

It's not like life is so abundant in the universe it just pop's up everywhere and evolves to its surroundings.

Well we haven't made it far into space yet, we've only really explored our back yard. It'd be a bit premature to claim anything about alien life. Most scientists though believe we will find it, perhaps even in our own solar system. Life could be scarce or it could be all over the Universe - we don't know yet.

As an atheist I don't believe in a god but does that mean that God doesn't exist? Actually no, it just means that we lack any evidence for a God so there's no cause to believe in one.

If you still want to believe in God, despite the fact there isn't a shred of evidence - and just to fill in the gaps you perceive in current scientific knowledge - than there is little I can do to dissuade you. Just know that the answer "God did it" to all the mysteries of the Universe actually tells you NOTHING.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join