It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Predator Drones to Surveil Mexican Border

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

U.S. Predator Drones to Surveil Mexican Border

www.foxnews.com

The Homeland Security Department will use unmanned surveillance aircraft and other technological upgrades in its ongoing effort to protect the southern border of the United States.

The department said Wednesday it has obtained Federal Aviation Administration permission to operate unmanned planes along the Texas border and throughout the Gulf Coast region. Customs and Border Protection will base a surveillance drone at the Corpus Christi Naval Air Station in Texas.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
FAA Pressured to Open US Skies to Drones
Predator Drones Expected to Fly Over Texas-Mexico Border by Fall

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
So, it's official. The FAA has given the Dept. of Homeland Security the "okay" to fly drones in American skies. Really, it's only a matter of time before they are flying over our homes, possibly peering into our lives.

First, the radious will be expanded to watch over our borders, then DHS will say we need them over every city to protect us from terrorism. The sad thing is, most Americans won't even object. I wouldn't even be surprised if they started to fire hell-fire missiles at "terrorists" in American cities.

I have always said that once drones start to fly over our cities, we have completely lost the battle for freedom and liberty and there is no hope of ever gaining it back. All we can do now, is apologize to our children.

--airspoon

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Too little too late!
A drone or two will not stop or even make a dent in the current border incursions by illegal immigrants and drug gangs.

More than anything, I think that this is their way of getting a backdoor route into the use of drones over the continental USA, that will be expanded in their search for the bogeymen they tell everyone are all around.

What next? A couple of hellfires taking out a suspected terrorist in a suburban setting or a car on the highway?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

I agree. I believe this to only be about getting drones over US soil, to be used against the US public. It has been slipped in under the guise of border patrol and will spread from there. What a shame.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I agree too...but let me spin it up..."working on my MSM carreer"

The drones will be used as....The Grand Marshal to lead the prarade, across!

Wonder what the penalties will be for dropping an unmanned airship over private land......
"I sware...its a UFO" in my best red neck slang....

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
FAA under pressure to open US skies to drones

WASHINGTON – Unmanned aircraft have proved their usefulness and reliability in the war zones of Afghanistan and Iraq. Now the pressure's on to allow them in the skies over the United States...

..."All it takes is one catastrophe," Barr said. "They'll investigate, find they didn't do it correctly, there'll be an outcry and it will set them back years."

One catastrophe like every other misuse and abuse of power law enforcement officers, the department of defense, and the department of homeland security have been responsible for and never truly "set back?"

Or "one catastrophe" like the thousands of civilians killed by people using these things for law enforcement overseas on "specific targets?"

Drone Attack Report: 1 in 3 Killed By Drones In Pakistan Is A Civilian

If this crap doesn't start changing the tide, I don't know what will...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Random Texan Killers!

Do you know that "the border" is 100 miles from the coast AND international borders?

Three old fogies had a Summer vacation in deep South Mexico to see the volcanoes and to distribute clothing to children. On their way back home, they were stopped by a County Deputy - roughly 450 miles North of Mexico! The location is just less than 100 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. The reason they were stopped? NONE! They wanted to SEARCH the vehicle because they "knew" the occupants had come across the Mexico border a day before! The vehicle and occupants had cleared customs at the border properly. There was NO reason to stop these old fogies.

This ACLU web page is right - www.aclu.org... - unfortunately, I don't know where to find NON-ACLU pages that show you it's true. It's true they stop you even 500 miles NORTH of the Texas Mexico border if it's within 100 miles of the Gulf of Mexico.

Anyway, that means the Predator will be scooting around Houston regularly, probably hell-firing a few neighborhoods that the ultra-rich have had eyes on for decades.

Random Texan Killers! PERRY ORDERED that thing!

CX

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I hear the Jonas Brothers are cancelling their forthcoming Mexican tour.

How high or fast do these things fly? I just wondered hong long it will be before the first one is shot down by the cartels?

CX.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
How high or fast do these things fly? I just wondered hong long it will be before the first one is shot down by the cartels?

CX.

10,000 feet. That's almost 2 miles high.

CX

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam

Originally posted by CX

CX.

10,000 feet. That's almost 2 miles high.

Ah, thanks....cancel my last wondering then.

CX.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Is this yet another example of recycling news?

Look here.

Check out the date.

Why do they keep releasing stories from years ago. I've been noticing this more and more. Am I the only one noticing this trend? Or am I missing something? Maybe I really am going insane. lol

[edit on 24-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

CX.

The Predator-A has a maximum altitude of 25,000 feet, while the Predator-B has a maximum altitude of 50,000 feet. Their airspeed is around 220 knots or 407 km/hr (for the type-B).

The MQ-9 Reaper, also has a ceiling of 50,000 feet. Of course their are more than these three variants, though these are what will likely be used.

For reference: www.airforce-technology.com...

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

This is not old news. The FAA had been keeping DHS from flying these in our skies (which has been discussed here on ATS) and now the FAA just gave in and are now allowing these things to patrol our skies. What I believe had happened, was that the FAA had put a ban on these things in our country, forcing the officials to stop flying them here, save for designated training areas. Now due to pressure from the government, namely DHS, they are again allowing them to fly.

--airspoon

[edit on 24-6-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
How is your story different than the one I posted from 2008? They read almost identically to me.

Four Predator B drones have become fixtures over Arizona since October 2006, and two more will join them soon, Juan Munoz-Torres, a Customs and Border Protection spokesman, said Wednesday.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I agree with all the replies in that this is just a backdoor way of having drones eventually fly over every city in America, in the name of stopping terrorism. Can anyone say USSA?

If they really wanted to protect the border they would bring our troops home and position the Army and the Marines there, which would do a whole lot more than the drones will do.

This is sad news for America's freedoms which have been slowly eroding away since the Bush era, and getting worse with Obama. Someday the Soviet Union will be more free than America......And we Americans just sit on our ass and let it happen.........

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It will start at the border.

Then it will be used to interdict drug runners and human traffickers.

Then it will be used to fight crime and "domestic terrorism".

Then it will be used to 'prevent' crime and "domestic terrorism".

Then it will be used to kill "criminals" and "domestic terrorists".

Having been killed by one of these things will equate to a 'guilty' verdict in court.

The Predator Drone is a weapons platform, developed for war. And we are allowing the "Homeland" folks to use their judgment on how to apply it's use inside our country.

I think we are losing all control now. The government sees itself as mother, father, and keeper of the people. The states should just stand down and let them control everything, because the Federal government will not stop until all it's corporate allies are in place. I wonder which will be the first state openly run by corporate contract?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
They drug cartels will have much better drones soon. They have the money for them. The drones will never find the tunnels. Just another waste of taxpayer money.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The difference here seems to be that now the FAA has approved drones on the Texas-Mexico border in addition to those already approved on the Arizona-Mexico border, which has been, as my post showed, going on for some time now.

Another story about it.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

Hello Earthdude,

You're absolutely right. I can see the 1st negative incident will be w/ the drug cartels... Leave it to the good ol' usa to allow this on our soil to combat drug smuggling, when they can legalize some of it & still turn a profit. But they rather see more death & destruction.

I can see it now:

"**Breaking News** Rumors are circulating that the Mexican drug cartels may have possession of 2 U.S. drones that supposedly has the capability of live fire but we're still tracking this report... Now back to American Idol 3000"

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

CX.

*FacePalm*

Well us Mexicans are pretty damn good with a slingshot...I imagin a Cartel thug with an M16 might be able to shoot a drone 2 miles high down sooner or later.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join