It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry Hails Stem Cell Research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
John Kerry is eager to play to the folks who loved and admired Reagan. Mere hours after Reagan was laid to rest, Kerry announced he's in favor of stem cell research to help find a cuare for Alzheimer's.
Not only is this pandering to RR's death, IMHO, but it also seems to be against his Catholic faith.

"John Kerry endorsed Nancy Reagan's efforts to help find a cure for Alzheimer's disease and challenged the Bush administration Saturday to relax restrictions on stem cell research to pursue potential cures for that and other illnesses.

Ethical questions raised by the use of human embryos can be resolved through "good will and good sense," Kerry said in the Democrats' weekly radio address. Researchers can find the cures that are there, "if only they are allowed to look.""

complete story

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
How about that for a coincidence? StrangeLands and I just finished debating stem cell research...I suggest you check it out, as we raise many good points on both sides. I discuss the steps being taken towards treating Alzheimer's with stem cells as one of my arguments.

Is it a surprise that Kerry would take this stance? What's he gonna do, agree with President Bush? Not use President Reagan's death as a political tool? HA! (ugh-oh, heading towards the mud...)

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I was just going to bring that awesome debate to everyone's attention, PurdueNuc.

As for pandering, promoting and politicizing Reagen's death...(deep breath)...we'll just let that one go.
It's been a long week, and I'd just as soon not think about Reagen anymore until I can close my eyes without seeing Nancy wandering around in my eyelids looking for the camera.

Bigger question: Anyone else notice Kerry just keeps extending the bi-partisan arm only to have it constantly slapped away?

McCain, Reagen... a unity theme is brewing. Politically motivated rhetoric or not, it's a nice change from the "with us or against us" alternative.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I don't see any reason to "head toward the mud" on this issue. No matter how irksome I find Kerry to be, if he is sincerely stating his conviction on this issue, then I agree with his stance.

I do not agree with Bush's stance on this.

This research is needed, down right required, and can be done with all ethics intact. The restrictions on this right now can not be defended and pretty much torque me off real bad.

All we can hope right now is that there are a lot of law-breaking researchers out there working for our good - and that's a sad sad statement to have to make.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Kerry touts stem cell research; Bush remembers Reagan

Meanwhile his presumptive opponent in November's presidential election challenged Bush's opposition to research that could help find a cure for many diseases, including Alzheimer's, the illness that debilitated Reagan for the last 10 years of his life.

CNN

While I don't like Bush's lies and secrect nor Ashcroft period, I also don't like it when someone uses the death of another person for an advantage. In this instance, it is a high-profile case of Kerry using the death of Reagan to slam stem-cell research policies of Bush. It seems that he is implying Reagan could have been alive if it wasn't for people like Bush.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
This guy is a joke! Talkin about jumpin on the band wagon. Guess he saw a new group to cater to from watchin TV over the last week. I honestly can't see how anyone can vote for this idiot.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kata
This guy is a joke! Talkin about jumpin on the band wagon. Guess he saw a new group to cater to from watchin TV over the last week. I honestly can't see how anyone can vote for this idiot.

hey, people like me need this research advanced asap and this is one thing i agree with kerry about, hesitating will risk lives, so many disease cures rely on stem cell research.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kata

Calls for this kind of research have been a mainstay in Democratic platforms since REAGEN was first against it. If anyone "jumped ship" it was Nancy Reagen once faced with the realities of an incurable disease.

Nancy Reagen Urges Stem Cell Research

But I say that for comparitive purposes only to the politicized charges being levied against Kerry here. People of good conscious and hardship (like Nancy) should be able to change their mind when faced with evidence to the contrary without being labeled a "waffler".

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Well, RANT will testify that as my siggy hints at, I'm a staunch conservative, but I don't see the point, or even the intelligence, in jumping to the conclusion that Kerry is using Reagan's death to "jump on the bandwagon". Now, if you can find some past statement by Kerry that says he opposes stem cell research, and now he comes on the heels of Reagan's death and says otherwise, you've got something. If not, you're talking unfounded smack.

As a user stated a couple of posts up, there are people who are praying for the stem cell research. If you're a quadraplegic and can't scratch your own nose, or some one who is slowly sinking into the darkness of a degenerative brain disorder, or a neuro-muscular disorder, you'll be hard pressed to give a hoot what they do with fetal or placental matter once some one may or may not have made a piss-poor decision in their life.

The singular point in this is - there are women out there aborting babies, right now, with no stem cell research allowed, which can be summed up as the following situation:

The U.S. government has concluded that it is better to throw the after-math of an unwanted life in the trash can, than to try to help people whose lives have been, or are being, robbed from them - and this decision has been made in the name of political correctness.

That's a disgusting situation to have to reveal, now isn't it?

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I would have to agree with you. I am all for stem cell research, but I have to laugh at irony that his position comes out now. If he is whole heartedly for this, great and more power to him if he is elected.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
"The restrictions on this right now can not be defended and pretty much torque me off real bad. "

In one of my investor emails I get, they raised a very good question... as the limits are placed on Federal Monies being used for this research, why hasn't any one stepped up to the plate and place their own money on the line? For if even one problem was cured thur this research, think about return on that investment...

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Probably for fear of retaliation by the Bush admin and the FDA. Example: If Eli Lilly were to put up the money for stem cell research you think they are going to have much luck getting drugs approved under the watch of Bush? They need FDA approval. Also watch how fast it becomes difficult to get patents approved.

top topics

join