It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget ‘Guitar Hero’: FEMA wants you to play ‘Disaster Hero’ in upcoming emergency response

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Together with developer Legacy Interactive, the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) announced plans on Wednesday to create a web-based video game that will be funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The game, named “Disaster Hero,” is designed to teach civilians emergency preparation skills and methods.

In a press release distributed June 16, ACEP said, “The web-based game will be targeted to multiple audiences, including children, early teens, parents, caregivers and teachers, and will focus on what to do before, during and after a disaster.
The game and associated website will emphasize getting an emergency kit, having an emergency plan and being informed.” “Disaster Hero” will engage its participants in preparatory activities for disasters — such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes — through downloadable puzzles, quizzes, and activities.

According to the ACEP, the Department of Homeland Security will spend $1,558,570 dollars to develop this game.

Sour ce

Well that sure is a way to get your kids to grow up faster, just have them prepared for a disaster...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
1 and a half Million dollars for a web based game? They have to be out of their minds.

Many online game companies don't spend anything near that. This game better be a 60 hour game or this is just The Agency pocketing the money. I'd like to see the oversight on this one.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

When I see and play the game I will comment on it's contents.

Those of us that were born right after the end of WW2 got a healthy does of disaster preparedness.

In grammar school we had drills to get us ready for attack from Russia. Now that I think about it the gesture was nice but probably would not have saved any of us.

Back during the cold war people built fallout shelters and always kept a pantry full of canned goods.

Those of us living in hurricane zones were always prepared to hunker down in case of a storm.

It made us wiser and more inquisitive about what was going on in the world.

It is the duty of parents to prepare them for any danger. It won't scar the children for life. It will make them ready to take action and not question a parent when in an emergency situation. It could save their lives.

You tell your child not to play in the street because a car might run over them. That's no different than disaster preparedness if done the proper way.

Ignorant children grow up to be ignorant adults.

Teach your children the basic way of survival. You may be killed in a disaster and your loved one would be lost without a clue as to how to stay alive. It may be the best training you ever give your child.

Edit to add: In my opinion survival training would be better given by parents than to rely on the government to teach them. I would not want my child brainwashed by our administration.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by dizziedame]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
State endorsed gaming, yeah, I can't really see kids lapping that up somehow.

If it wasn't for the vast amount (waste) of money involved this would be quite funny.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I don't think it's a bad idea, really, but there is one tidbit in the article, that has me just a tad upset:

In May the Department of Homeland Security came under fire for cutting New York’s mass-transit security grants by 27% and port-security grants by 25%.

The cost for this "game," is outrageous, yet they cut security costs on mass transit in New York?

Really, people who ride on that system need to be prepared!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Well that sure is a way to get your kids to grow up faster, just have them prepared for a disaster

I see no problem with that. Kids are victims of disaster too, should they not have some preparation?

Sadly, a lot of parents are too busy working to keep up their "quality of life" to teach their children how to be confident, strong, sensible people.

As for the cost, well..being close to the gaming industry I can tell you that you get what you pay for, clearly they have the budget to get more. The price isn't out of the realm of possibility whatso ever.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Foolish not to prep your kids.

Like nobody has a go-to neighbor plan should nobody be home when you get off of school or even show your kid how to call 911?

Wouldnt want your kid to call 911. That'll strip them of the magic of childhood.

Having said that, it's your responsibility to prepare you children for any event you believe they should be prepared for. If you live in tornado alley or an earthquake zone sit with your kid and pack his 3-day pack together and talk about what it would be like if you had to leave the house or stay in a shelter. Or anything else you think your family should be ready for. Despite what lunatics think preparedness isnt all MadMax and machine guns.

You do it. Dont let the government do it.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
...but, does anyone actually expect kids to want to play this game? When there are more attractive and fashionable options for games to play.

It's going to be a massive waste of money, because kids aren't going to want to play it and the few that do certainly won't admit to it.

new topics

top topics

join