It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcanos in Iceland, possible alarm?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Spacedman13

hey thanks for all the information.. i live in turkey and we get a ton of british friends/visitors this time of year..theres a couple staying for a month leaving tomorrow, i told them to bring some extra underwear just incase.

Btw- can i ask what source you are using for that EQ map of that region? i'd like to follow it also..

Thanks for the post!

d.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by depmode101

This is the map for the whole of Iceland

Down the side you will see links to the different areas. Each map also has a graph underneath and a tab for the table giving the list of quakes.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nidwin
Found you guys. I knew you were all hiding somewhere.

Private Club!!

Why an eruption somewhere around Vatnajokull, guts?
Curious about it, as usual.

Yes a gut feeling, but also because of various suggestions that at least 4 volcanoes under the Vatnajokull icecap are due/overdue/rumbling/etc. I will try and put together something a bit more coherent than that in a few days.

The only "curiosity" is what is going on North of Iceland.

The name -Tjornes fracture zone - should give you a clue, also known as the Tjornes Fracture Zone Volcano. It is an undersea volcano. This gives a little more information but it is one of those sites you have to pay for
to get anything else. I have some more info but I will have to find it.

Still wondering what the outline means. (volcano, fishing zone, recreation centre,...)

See the help page here which explains the notations on the maps.

That black triangle south of it could indicate a seismograph

That black triangle does indicate a seismic station (SIL)

Not every red dot works on the map in the link above but you actually stand a better chance of getting some info using the Icelandic version, particularly for Hekla as the English version does not work.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Here is a link to a video on You Tube discovered by berkeleygal (to whom many thanks) and posted in the Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption thread.

This is an amazing video with stunning pictures

I so so want to go visit Iceland but I will probably never get there.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
More excellent videos found by berkeleygal here

Many thanks berkeleygal, keep up the good work!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
A bit of activity at Katla today.

Rather than repost the picture I will simply provide this link to the post in Volcano Watch.

It does not appear to be of concern as I replied to that link.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I am back from vacation , thx puterman for keeping the thread alive. I got to a pc with connection from time to time while i was away , from what i have noticed the country has been pretty quiet since i been away, kinda unusual since this is high time in quake season compared to other years. But it´s still good news, i was too far away from hekla to take a pic but i got a pic of a burnt out crater in wich i will post later this week, kinda busy at the moment vacation time fixing my place up and so many other things to attend to ,, next week will be easier for me. Guess i´ll be kinda offline untill then. So untill then my friends ,, untill then

Edit ,, and Puterman nice threads you put up , skimmed through them hope to have a better chance to look through it later this week , but once again my friend solid great work from a craftsman of brilliance!

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Spacedman13]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I note you had a bumpy day at Bardabunga today.

Hope you enjoyed the rest and are ready for the fray again!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
4.9 on the Reykjanes Ridge 500 miles from Iceland

See Quake Watch post

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

kinda looks like that would be the Greenland area?
at least from the rsoe map

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

About 500 or so miles almost due south if iceland. Basically it was on the mid-atlantic ridge.

A little bigger and I might have felt it.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Nothing mutch happening at the moment, but there´s been some incresed activity in Vatnajökull near Bárdabunga(been steadily incresing the last 4 weeks now) , also noticed Hekla has had 2-4 tremors this week wich have been real small though , about 1 on richter.

All in all this summer, the most activity that has been incresing is in Bárdabunga and Askja. Katla doesn´t seem to be rumbeling at all now most of the shakes that have been there are the ones in Fimmvörðuháls that is the first eruption that happent this summer.

I was driving home last week when i noticed 2 huge steam vents reaching up to the sky, i was with my friend but i didn´t have a camera with me. I decided to drive up near it. It was just outside of town maybe 20-25km, it was in a area that is being used to , lol mind is a little blank right now ,, so i´ll say harvest steam. When we came near it we noticed it was 6 vents, 4 that made one huge steam and 2 that made one smaller. Normally these kinda steams just go 20 meters into the sky and dissolve but these vent so high that we saw them 20 km away and thought it was worth checking out.

Next day they had dissapeard and there was no news about it either on goverment sites or news media, yet this is not normal. Im thinking there might have been incresed pressure in the region. This is the area north of the hengil region, in the middle of reykjarvik and hveragerði, hveragerði is the area where most of the (steam harvesting) is being "farmed" hehe

Still waiting on getting my pictures from my vacation.....

Checked out the new page with the links to the most informative threads Puterman, good work brilliant idea tossing a thread like that together

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
There´s absolutly nothing happening this week guess i will have to go and say good news.
Askja seems to be a wee bit more active, but it is all just quakes under 2 on richter.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Things happening outside the boundaries however.

Reykjanes ridge 5.2

I note that the Iceland Met Office does not bother with these. Not vedur, more a case of veduh!

Google Earth mapping of the last 365 days of quakes 4.5+
eqgroupreykjanes.kmz

edit on 9/9/2010 by PuterMan because: because because I added a link to a KMZ

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
While things are happening just outside of iceland, strange that we don´t even cover such events looked through the local media and other sites also and nothing about that 5,2. But that´s icelands media for you, if it aint a slow news day this kinda material won´t get picked up. Everything is wayyyyyyy to quiet now about 29 small quakes for the whole country the last 48 hours. And more then half that amount is in the fracture zone up north, i had a dream 2 nights ago that katla blew up and it was a huge blast. But any further then my dream everything is in a zombie like status up here.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Please do correct me if I am wrong, but since these recent small quakes near Katla are all close to the surface, there is not anything to worry about here or consider? Isn't it the deeper ones that then move towards the surface that are the ones to worry about?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/97765bea5186.png[/atsimg]

en.vedur.is...=map

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

I would definitely go along with that. By the time I looked at this there were just two old quakes.

You may see a little activity if we get some colder weather and the ice cap grows again. This will probably be soon and may give rise to small quakes due to isostatic depression.

It certainly does seem quiet at present. I hope that is a good thing!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I totally forgot about the weather there right now (duh, should have simply looked at the cams, lol).

And next time, I'll provide the list with the depths, instead of the graphics.

At that time, nothing was deeper than about 3km.

Thank you!

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The last bowl involves hail weighing up to 50kilos? So if that's anything to go by then I would say that its more likely the hail that's spoken of may have came down due to massive eruptionS, not only in iceland.
Speaking of which how are the global volcanic situations at the moment? Including those beneath the sea?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
We got two quakes today of notable size, one 3 on richter next to the volcano Askja, and one 3,6 in the tjörnes fracture zone, also 5 quakes between 2-3.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4cbb13212251.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/34eaad84a3cc.gif[/atsimg]

Winter seems to be just around the corner here in Iceland, will be interesting to see if the incresed pressure from all the snow that will soon fall upon the glaciers will increse the activity of the overdue volcanos. Should not happen since it is supposed to be the other way around when the snow melts, but seing as they are overdue and there is alot of tension in the region there might be some activity we do not usually see.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join