It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA wants YOU to help find meteorites!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
So NASA is asking people to find meteorites for them now. Didn't they classify all "SPACE ROCKS" Top Secret recently? Makes you go HMMM..

NASA has launched an all-out search for any meteorites that may have survived from a bright fireball that streaked over northeastern Alabama last month. And the space agency wants your help.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

But here now, is the classification of all space rocks. Makes you think something is going on, considering they had let people access them for years. You think they're hiding something?

For 15 years, scientists have benefited from data gleaned by U.S. classified satellites of natural fireball events in Earth's atmosphere – but no longer.

A recent U.S. military policy decision now explicitly states that observations by hush-hush government spacecraft of incoming bolides and fireballs are classified secret and are not to be released, SPACE.com has learned.

www.space.com...
But then:

"It's baffling to us why this would suddenly change," said one scientist familiar with the work. "It's unfortunate because there was this great synergy...a very good cooperative arrangement. Systems were put into dual-use mode where a lot of science was getting done that couldn't be done any other way. It's a regrettable change in policy."

Scientists say not only will research into the threat from space be hampered, but public understanding of sometimes dramatic sky explosions will be diminished, perhaps leading to hype and fear of the unknown.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bestideayet

But here now, is the classification of all space rocks. Makes you think something is going on, considering they had let people access them for years. You think they're hiding something?

By definition they are. This takes secret keeping to a whole new stupid level! Apparently we aren't allow to know what's 'out there' anymore. Who's universe is this anyway... theirs? Idiots!

IRM

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
No. Just no.

Amazing how a story can get screwed up. Meteorites were never classified. What was in question was the release of data about meteor sightings by DOD (not NASA) satellites. However, it turned out that there was never any effort or intention to prevent the release of such data. BTW, the story is from a year ago.

"What we've found as we dug into this is that there was quite a bit of gapping that had occurred, even before the routine review that we did back in March," Rego said. "So notwithstanding the routine policy review, what we're doing in the next few weeks here...is circling the wagons so that we can remove some of the Ad Hoc nature."

Rego also spotlighted his concern that there's no real mechanism in place to ensure that the bolide data is sent to science researchers in a timely manner.

So by tightening the organizational ship, can the useful bolide data for scientific purposes be made available more quickly?

"Sooner and more consistently," Rego said. "We can probably do this better."

"The data is out there. It's not impacting military operations to gather the data that's important to the scientific community," Rego added. "Let's take a look at how we can do that in a timely and collegiate manner."

www.space.com...

[edit on 6/23/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
How many times am I going to have to say it? It's called a METEOR when it's in space and METEORITE after it's impacted earth. Get it right.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous91

Yes LOL get it right

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Yeah right ..... if I find a meteorite its going straight to ebay

They want it then they can pay for it

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Amazing how a story can get screwed up. Meteorites were never classified.
Not that amazing, actually:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by Phage

Space rocks that explode in the atmosphere are now classified.
www.space.com...
When we tell people that space rocks that appear in the atmosphere are classified and people think a meteorite is a rock from space it's not that hard to understand the confusion, especially since some people don't seem to know the difference between a meteor and a meteorite. And the implication was that DOD data about the meteorite on its way to the ground was classified even if the meteorite itself wasn't classified.

Actually I just reread both of Leonard David's articles, the one dated 10 June 2009 and the followup dated 3 July 2009 and he really doesn't come out and say his first article was wrong. Even after reading everything he wrote about it, I'm still not sure I know the real story. Was it just confusion and misunderstanding initially? Or did the military really intend to not release the bolide data and it was backlash from a senator that made them reconsider? I think the answer would lie in reading the March 16 memo referenced in the article but I Googled for it but all I found was references to the memo but not the actual memo itself. I'm curious about what that memo actually says, so if anyone has a link to it, please post it.

Originally posted by gortex
Yeah right ..... if I find a meteorite its going straight to ebay

They want it then they can pay for it

That's the first thing that I thought of when I saw the title of this article, after watching a TV show about guys who make their living collecting meteorites. They aren't giving them away. Actually it looked like they were making a fairly good living at it.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
NASA should be the ones helping ME find meteorites! Don't they have all the good data on incoming stuff from space? It would sure help me narrow down where to look if I had some solid data as to where and when this stuff comes down.

top topics

join