It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Quantum Computer' a Stage Closer With Silicon Breakthrough

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

Quote from source:
According to the research paper, the scientists have created a simple version of Schrodinger's cat -- which is paradoxically simultaneously both dead and alive -- in the cheap and simple material out of which ordinary computer chips are made.

"This is a real breakthrough for modern electronics and has huge potential for the future," explained Professor Ben Murdin, Photonics Group Leader at the University of Surrey. "Lasers have had an ever increasing impact on technology, especially for the transmission of processed information between computers, and this development illustrates their potential power for processing information inside the computer itself. In our case we used a far-infrared, very short, high intensity pulse from the Dutch FELIX laser to put an electron orbiting within silicon into two states at once -- a so-called quantum superposition state. We then demonstrated that the superposition state could be controlled so that the electrons emit a burst of light at a well-defined time after the superposition was created. The burst of light is called a photon echo; and its observation proved we have full control over the quantum state of the atoms."

Anything to do with quantum computing deserves attention to me.

This is great that scientists have figured out and anything that brings quantum computing more affordable is a great thing for man kind.

I have heard that this technology is going to take decades before it becomes applicable in the common world, but hey, hopefully they are wrong and it comes much sooner.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The subject of Quantum Computing has always interested me. I think it's awesome how they used the same thing normal computer chips are made out of. S & F.

Regards.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Thanks Pred, I'm inherently lazy and you save me lots of time web browsing by bringing stuff like this to one convenient location.

They're telling us it will take decades but it seems to me that progress is being made quite quickly. I hope sooner rather than later. We are nearing the theoretical limits of conventional silicon chip technology and, according to Mohr's Law, if we don't find something much better and pretty soon, we run the risk of stalling and things will start to fall apart.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

The thing about predicting the future is computers is that they have no idea what breakthroughs will be ahead. There could be something discovered tomorrow that could change all computers forever.

The best thing to do is when they predict something remember that it is just a basic outline. The day before Einstein released his papers his ideas were unthought of. Things can change drastically and quickly.

Pred...

top topics

join