It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surviving Media Blackout.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Okay so lets say in a hypothetical scenario that the internet is shut down on a worldwide scale, lets also say that the phone networks are shut down.

How would we be able to communicate the news from our individual countries to other countries?
Would the postal service still be reliable? Would it still be running if the Internet were to be switched off?

Should we have a 'Info network' set up as backup? those from around the world who are willing could give a postal address, this does not have to be a home address but could be a PO box address at a Post Office.

In this age of technology do we rely too much on the internet to find out what is going on in the world around us? should we rely on it now that 'kill switches' can be implemented without our consent? Should we rely on only the news that our respective governments allows us to hear? Would you want to know what is going on in the rest of the world?

Any other ideas on ways to communicate if in the unlikely scenario the internet and phone networks both get switched off?

Message in a bottle?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Hrm. Very interesting question!

I suppose that it's possible that there are still telegraph specific lines surviving. Beyond that I think things would return to the way they were a hundred + years ago... We'd all be waiting for ships to pull into harbor so we could get our three month old news.

That'd really cramp all the online relationships folks have these days, huh?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Yeah,

Most people forget that VOIP backhaul is much more common now (Voice services routed via the internet) and hospitals go nuts when they cannot access electronic records and imaging data which is transmitted via the internet. So many automated data and remote control via the internet that a shutdown could conceivably shut down the country.

Chaos would erupt.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Short wave radio like the French Resistance.
or pigeons.
3rd line.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

+1 for shortwave radio.

If there is a crackdown on all communication though, shortwave can be traced.

Pigeon might be the go, can't trace them

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Man yall forgot all about CB radios! With the right amp n antenna you can get up to 500 mile range if not better sometimes dependin on the weather.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f5b804993f28.jpg[/atsimg]

EMP proof and no batteries required.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Personally, if all communication is shut down, I'm getting the he'll out of here. They wouldn't do it unless something bad, real bad was coming. I'll be at my bug out cabin, checking my cb and hand crank radio once in awhile, but something tells me I'm not going to like any news I may hear.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

You may also need:

An extension cord.

[edit on 24/6/10 by GobbledokTChipeater]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Assuming an EMP type event like a massive solar storm or something. The official Postal services might not be the way to go either. I would think a private messenger service ran on a modification of the Pony Express might be a rising business.

Of course if all infrastructure is dead in the water, sending messages would be the last thing on my mind. Knowing how to make a foxhole radio would be a good idea in order to get the "all clear" message in the event things go back to a normal.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Im glad I have friends that are Eagle Scout/Scoutmasters that also have guns. Looting will happen real quick and I'll needs me some protection and survival skills.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I don't think the need to survive a media blackout would be the issue, rather surviving the event that lead to the media blackout - now that would be the issue.

Personally, I would rely on either Ham, shortwave or 3 meter to either receive or transmit. True, all can be triangulated while broadcasting, there are ways around that inconvenience. And no, I will not be posting that info here.

The thing that strikes me is that if all means of communication are shut down, I think my first priority would be getting my family out of Dodge - safely. Even if the cause of the blackout were not life threatening, the ensuing panic and aftermath would prove to be. I'd worry about establishing lines of communication after the fact.

top topics

join