It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labor Dept. Offers Assistance to Illegal Immigrants Facing Wage Disparities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Labor Dept. Offers Assistance to Illegal Immigrants Facing Wage Disparities

www.foxnews.com

Published June 23, 2010 | FOXNews.com

Republican lawmakers are expressing shock over a Labor Department ad campaign that offers government assistance to illegal immigrants who think they're getting shortchanged for their work -- and at least one of them is planning to write to Labor Secretary Hilda Solis for an explanation.

Utah Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wants to know why taxpayers are being asked to spend money to ensure that illegals get assistance for fair wages while millions of unemployed Americans struggle to find jobs.

"That's insane," Chaffetz told FoxNews.com on Wednesd
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I was going to comment of the senseless in this, but the more I think about it the more I think there may be a positive side to look at as well. And I do need to add at this point my thoughts on this have nothing to do with the drug cartels, or the violent element that has infiltrated our borders. That is another topic.

First of all, the idea of rewarding those who are in this country illegally sounds completely asinine. After all why reward someone who has circumvented our laws to enter this country and have no intention of ever going through the legal immigration process? Further, there are Federal laws as well as in most states that prohibit employers from hiring illegal immigrants in the first place. But we all know there are some who do anyway.

However, there could actually be a plus side to this. If you stop and think about it, there are many people who enter illegally because they are looking for work and there are unscrupulous employers who will happily pay them a sub-minimum wage for their work. What if that sub-minimum tool were taken away from these unethical employers and they were forced to pay the same wage regardless of who applied for the job.

Would that be an effective added tool in getting a grip on this issue? Or would this be just another case of another government agency with their hands in the till and causing even more problems than it solves?

Your thoughts?

www.foxnews.com

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
In a different political atmosphere I would automatically thing that this was probably a sting to get illegals to literally turn themselves in and provide all of their information - either to track them or even deport them en masse.

But in this climate I think this is probably just one more step towards amnesty.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

That's a good point. I hadn't thought about it could be leading up to amnesty, but now that you mention it the administration has really made no bones about pushing amnesty.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
A similar topic with the video ad was posted here the other day. Might be why it's quiet here. The ad is pretty outrageous.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Roger that. I had not seen that yet, and only saw it on fox a few minutes ago. I'll have to see if I can find that other post.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

I think your opinion of why this is implemented is accurate. At first glance one might consider that the government is helping illegals obtain a right afforded to citizens. On the other hand, this encourages illegals to report employers for violations of wage laws which are great for law abiding businesses that do not cut corners and obey the law.

The one issue I see is that if the Labor Department does nothing to sanction the employer for hiring an illegal worker then this process is another patchwork fix to an already broken system.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hey... No problem, rack up the bill, denote how much were "providing" to each countries illegals and send each country a freeking invoice!

Bill them for all services including emergency room visits to the foreign government who these citizens belong to.

Why should the 1/3 of American citizens who actually pay the taxes support both the other 2/3 rds of our own citizens AND illegals? It is insane. How much more can the the 1/3 of American working citizens take. Bad enough we are paying for Government Pensions for life, now were supposed to pay for Union Pensions while all we have are 401k plans that they want to LOOT to pay for social security #2.

Enough.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by infolurker]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

So true. Any law without enforcement is not worth the paper it is written on. I know that here in TN a law was passed in 2007 making it illegal for any employer to hire illegals, but I'm not sure to what extent it has been enforced thus far.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Not a bad idea.

But the way we seem to work here in the US is we would wind up sending the money out instead of receiving any.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

It probably hasn't. I would imagine too that the illegals probably do not even know about this law. I am sure the government funded organizations that help illegals will tell them about it though.

On one more note about the labor department. I really believe there is a need for the labor department. Businesses that cheat cause a disservice to businesses that follow the law. Many times the employer that cheats stays in business longer than the law abiding business. Multiply this by 1000x and probably there are many businesses out there that have cheated in some way to gain an advantage of their competition possibly even making a law abiding business close it's doors.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wayne60

However, there could actually be a plus side to this. If you stop and think about it, there are many people who enter illegally because they are looking for work and there are unscrupulous employers who will happily pay them a sub-minimum wage for their work. What if that sub-minimum tool were taken away from these unethical employers and they were forced to pay the same wage regardless of who applied for the job.

Would that be an effective added tool in getting a grip on this issue? Or would this be just another case of another government agency with their hands in the till and causing even more problems than it solves?

Your thoughts?

www.foxnews.com

Well yes. If immigrant labor demanded more pay, equal pay, then this would take away thier leverage and make domestic (citizen) labor look good again.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The unintended effect of this will be lower wages for legal workers. If it is all about disparity they will just make everyone work for what the illegals make. Career politicians are stupid with a capital S. We need to get rid of every last one of them.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The unintended effect of this will be lower wages for legal workers. If it is all about disparity they will just make everyone work for what the illegals make. Career politicians are stupid with a capital S. We need to get rid of every last one of them.

new topics

top topics

join