It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Europe's Gas Could Be Cut Off Within Hours'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Thought i would post this seeing as it could have serious implications.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

No Gas for Europe!! Gosh that would mean BBQ's throughout the summer...

Jokes aside i still would like to be able to take a shower in the mornings!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Not a big deal really. Another article says Belarus supplies at most 6.25% of Europe's gas. Although statistics and percents in the article are doing nothing more than creating hype.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I know.

For the Dutch this means no gas.
ironically we have a huge gas bubble. All that gas sold and goes to Scandinavia if I remember correct. While their gas is sold to yet another party.

How screwed up can it be ?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

How does this mean no gas for the Dutch? Belarus doesn't supply the majority of gas to any country.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

I know. I wanted to show how screwed up things work.
The last time the Russians closed up the gas pipe. They said it was not really effecting us but as our gas that we get from Norway is split up to go to other nations who do get their gas from the closed pipe. We could notice this.

The facts could be of but the big picture is the same. Just saying.
I'm not very deeply involved in the matter

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Heres a good link from Radio Free Europe
www.rferl.org...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Spirit777

Yea, as a poster said above, Belarus supplies around 6% of EU gas, most of which is easily replaced by other gas pipelines.. And the problem would only affect one east EU state within 10 days of the cut off point..

Also, Firstly, this is Belarus making this threat.

Secondly, because they know it won't really affect the core EU.

Thirdly, because they know that with Russia on the point of breaking into the fringes of the EU community and security policy through Germany (Check german meeting with France and Poland over the next week), if the EU click their fingers, the Russian administration will sort this out within hours. And the problem is a small minded gesture over an insult.. No more.. At the moment anyway.

I'd also like to point out that "Europe" ie "the EU" - ie "500 million people and almost a third of the worlds economy" is not small enough or stupid enough to have anywhere near a decent amount of its gas piped through one single ex Soviet Union, borderline failed, ex Nuclear meltdown (Chernobyl) state.

new topics

top topics

join